Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 914 - Rusty and Intimidating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Jeans
Hello 914 World,

I'm brand new here. I'm looking for feedback, thoughts, guidance for moving forward with my project.
I recently bought a 73 914 from a backyard North of Seattle, WA. It had been sitting there for 19 years since he last drove it. The body is straight and he thought the longs were solid, but turns out the passenger side long is rotted quite badly. Interestingly, the floor pan is solid and complete. The rear firewall has rusted through in a few spots, but not very bad. I'm still assessing the battery area. From what I can see it doesn't look terrible. I'm also still assessing the suspension console. The 2.0l engine hasn't turned over in 19 years and is quite dirty. There are several hoses that don't seem to end where they should. Something ate the wiring harness up front. The evap canister was loose and not connected. Interior is dirty, but in pretty good shape, a few cracks in the seats, the dash seems whole, instrument cluster is rusted, headlight switch isn't moving, I got the seats to slide (big win)!

My intention for this car is to do a V8 conversion, 5 lug wheels, roll cage, generic race car wiring harness, etc. and have fun driving, auto-crossing, etc. I thought a car that seems pretty far gone would be a good starting place. I plan to sell the engine and other parts to help fund the project.

The more I get into this project, the more intimidated I get. I keep thinking that even though this car is in rough shape, it's whole and original and someone could do a much better job than I will bringing it back to original shape. I'm also thinking that if I plan to find a different starting project, now's the time to make that decision.

I like mechanical work but the sheet metal based frame repair is quite intimidating. I have basic welding skills (and gas shielded MIG). I don't have a huge budget, but I'll be able to make this car strong and functional, even if it's a bit ugly. I bought a new inner long and rear lift donut from pelican/resto. I bought the long stiffening kit from Brad Mayeur. I need to figure out what's necessary to make the suspension console reliable. I'm about to build a dolly.

So this post is part introduction of my project to this forum, part request for guidance for things I haven't thought of yet, and the thought that someone might say "hey, I'd like to start a project with that car" smile.gif Otherwise, the hacking, cutting, and welding starts soon.

Thoughts?

I'll be posting pics, progress here:https://sites.google.com/view/idk-blue-73-914/home

Much more to come!
Chris

Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Jeans @ Aug 9 2020, 09:16 AM) *

Hello 914 World,

I'm brand new here. I'm looking for feedback, thoughts, guidance for moving forward with my project.
I recently bought a 73 914 from a backyard North of Seattle, WA. It had been sitting there for 19 years since he last drove it. The body is straight and he thought the longs were solid, but turns out the passenger side long is rotted quite badly. Interestingly, the floor pan is solid and complete. The rear firewall has rusted through in a few spots, but not very bad. I'm still assessing the battery area. From what I can see it doesn't look terrible. I'm also still assessing the suspension console. The 2.0l engine hasn't turned over in 19 years and is quite dirty. There are several hoses that don't seem to end where they should. Something ate the wiring harness up front. The evap canister was loose and not connected. Interior is dirty, but in pretty good shape, a few cracks in the seats, the dash seems whole, instrument cluster is rusted, headlight switch isn't moving, I got the seats to slide (big win)!

My intention for this car is to do a V8 conversion, 5 lug wheels, roll cage, generic race car wiring harness, etc. and have fun driving, auto-crossing, etc. I thought a car that seems pretty far gone would be a good starting place. I plan to sell the engine and other parts to help fund the project.

The more I get into this project, the more intimidated I get. I keep thinking that even though this car is in rough shape, it's whole and original and someone could do a much better job than I will bringing it back to original shape. I'm also thinking that if I plan to find a different starting project, now's the time to make that decision.

I like mechanical work but the sheet metal based frame repair is quite intimidating. I have basic welding skills (and gas shielded MIG). I don't have a huge budget, but I'll be able to make this car strong and functional, even if it's a bit ugly. I bought a new inner long and rear lift donut from pelican/resto. I bought the long stiffening kit from Brad Mayeur. I need to figure out what's necessary to make the suspension console reliable. I'm about to build a dolly.

So this post is part introduction of my project to this forum, part request for guidance for things I haven't thought of yet, and the thought that someone might say "hey, I'd like to start a project with that car" smile.gif Otherwise, the hacking, cutting, and welding starts soon.

Thoughts?

I'll be posting pics, progress here:https://sites.google.com/view/idk-blue-73-914/home

Much more to come!
Chris

Not a criticism, just an observation, but the only way you could have started with a less appropriate candidate for a V8 conversion is if you would have selected an original 914-6. The '73 2.0 is the second most desirable model for restoration after the six. It also looks like it's got most if not all the pieces that make it unique, wheels, center console, sway bars, chrome bumpers, etc. It looks like a good candidate for restoration, not that it doesn't need a fair amount of work.
mepstein
welcome.png

Don't worry, you will find more rust. biggrin.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 10 2020, 09:30 AM) *

welcome.png

What do you think the odds are that that shiny battery tray is the original? Especially with the blue over spray on the gas lines below it.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 10 2020, 12:42 PM) *

welcome.png

What do you think the odds are that that shiny battery tray is the original? Especially with the blue over spray on the gas lines below it.

Floor pans usually look fine because they are covered in sheet tar and then painted. The tar cracks, lets in moisture and the pans rust but won't show it until you remove the tar.
bbrock
Hi Chris,

I tend to agree with you that this would be a good candidate for restoring to original. Like Jonathan said, it is a desirable model and looks complete. I'm a bit biased though.

The tub of your car looks to be in very similar condition that mine was when I finally dug into the restoration. Basic MIG skills would have also been a good (maybe a little generous) description of me when I started too. And limited budget also fits. You might find useful info on what you are up against in my build thread linked in my signature. There are also many other good build threads that will be helpful. I'd start in the 'Restoration and Build Threads' forum.

This forum is a great place for guidance on originality but you will get more reads and comments for other restoration advice by posting in the 'Garage' forum.

Good luck with you project!
Jeans
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 10 2020, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeans @ Aug 9 2020, 09:16 AM) *

Hello 914 World,

Thoughts?

Much more to come!
Chris

Not a criticism, just an observation, but the only way you could have started with a less appropriate candidate for a V8 conversion is if you would have selected an original 914-6. The '73 2.0 is the second most desirable model for restoration after the six. It also looks like it's got most if not all the pieces that make it unique, wheels, center console, sway bars, chrome bumpers, etc. It looks like a good candidate for restoration, not that it doesn't need a fair amount of work.

Hi Johnathan, I know. This is THE car to start with. I haven't broken anything with my basic welding skills yet. If there's someone who would do this car justice. smile.gif
Thanks for your observation. It's validating this is a desirable model. I've always liked the chrome bumpers on the 73s vs the rubber on the 75s.
Chris
Jeans
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 10 2020, 11:51 AM) *

welcome.png

Floor pans usually look fine because they are covered in sheet tar and then painted. The tar cracks, lets in moisture and the pans rust but won't show it until you remove the tar.

Yup, I used a heat gun thanks to a post on 914world, which made moving the floor tar really easy. So far the rust is fairly surfacey, we'll see how that goes.
I did find a hole in the firewall behind the driver's seat. The heat shield is great at holding moisture.
Jeans
QUOTE(Jeans @ Aug 11 2020, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 10 2020, 11:51 AM) *

welcome.png

Yup, I used a heat gun thanks to a post on 914world, which made moving the floor tar really easy. So far the rust is fairly surfacey, we'll see how that goes.
I did find a hole in the firewall behind the driver's seat. The heat shield is great at holding moisture.

And good question about the shiny battery tray and the paint. This car has an absolutely terrible original color paint job. Surface rust is bubbling through all over it.
Jeans
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 11 2020, 09:47 AM) *

Hi Chris,

I tend to agree with you that this would be a good candidate for restoring to original. Like Jonathan said, it is a desirable model and looks complete. I'm a bit biased though.

The tub of your car looks to be in very similar condition that mine was when I finally dug into the restoration. Basic MIG skills would have also been a good (maybe a little generous) description of me when I started too. And limited budget also fits. You might find useful info on what you are up against in my build thread linked in my signature. There are also many other good build threads that will be helpful. I'd start in the 'Restoration and Build Threads' forum.

This forum is a great place for guidance on originality but you will get more reads and comments for other restoration advice by posting in the 'Garage' forum.

Good luck with you project!

Hi Brent, I started reading your intro thread. Based on the pictures, we seem to have similar frame issues.

Lots more to come from this project. I posted pics of recent work on the floor pan here: https://sites.google.com/view/idk-blue-73-9...-and-sheetmetal

Thanks
Chris
Arno914
Hi Chris,

looks like this car has even the original forged "Fuchs" alloys on it.
Nice Color, too.
Please don´t mutilate her by doing a V8 conversation! sad.gif Bring her back to original. There are not too many left and a V8 - especially when butchered into the chassis, makes such a car undesirable in my opinion.

There lays some work ahead anyways and this forum will be very helpful.

Just my thoughts…

Greets from Germany

Arno
Cairo94507
If you really want to put a higher HP engine in that 914, consider doing a 6 conversion. That would essentially bolt right in and enhance the value as opposed to a V-8 which is a car with a much narrower following. But as clean as it looks to begin with I would restore it to original and bump the motor to 2056 with factory FI. welcome.png beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.