Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Wires crossed up & won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Need Help.
Last night I installed lots of new stuff for my annual yearly upgrade.
Had the 914 running beautiful. Noticed the tach. was not working and decided I may have a wire crossed after putting everything back together.

Here's what I did. Car was running beautifully before this dumb move.
The (Bosch Blue) coil has (2) black wires on the #15 post (I think this is the negitive post). I switched one of these wires to the #1 (positive post I think) where the green wire comes from the dizzy, post then tried to start the car. Nothing, motor would not fire up. Changed the wires back to where they were before and car still won't start. I think I fryed something and then remembed a recent post warning. Did I fry the coil, condenser, points???? What damaged did I do.

Tom
ArtechnikA
Terminal 15 is *always* switched +12V; Terminal 1 is *always* ground.

+12V from the ignition switch goes to Terminal 15; your points and tach go to Terminal 1. first, set it up that way. then, verify that the points are not welded together or melted, and verify that you still have +12V at Terminal 15 when the key is on.

the car will still run (not as well...) if the coil is connected backwards but the condenser will probably not be happy. if you replace it, hold out for a Bosch.
Bleyseng
Two black wires? hmm, one black wire is the switched 12v from the ign. The other black should be black and purple so clean it as its the tach wire. You can label it by putting on some shrink tubing in a color.

Probably blew a fuse and maybe the condenser.
Cap'n Krusty
Points are fried. Remove the cap, look at the point wire. It's gonna look melted. Condenser is probably OK, and there's NO FUSE in the circuit. The Cap'n
TJB/914
Krusty & Bleyseng,

Thanks for the info. Pulled the distributor & looks like your correct.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.