Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I have a front enigined 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZBanks
I have a pool of oil forming behind my passenger front wheel?

I found that highly confusing until I looked under the car and found a lot of oil covering the bottom of the inside of the rim and the tire.

I think the shock is leaking. I'll know more when I get it up on some jack stands and get the wheel off.

Has anyone had this happen to them?
ctc911ctc
Oh yea, 3 out of the 4 of mine leaked - but they were 40 years old when I got them!

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 10 2020, 02:52 PM) *

I found that highly confusing until I looked under the car and found a lot of oil covering the bottom of the inside of the rim and the tire.

I think the shock is leaking. I'll know more when I get it up on some jack stands and get the wheel off.

wes
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 10 2020, 01:52 PM) *

Darn I like the subject of “front engine 914” Kind of catchy title. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Yea, shocks go bad. The good thing is when you do replace them, the car will handle better.
rhodyguy
How could a leaking strut cartridge overfill the housing so much it would be on the floor? Hot bearing grease and a spent bearing seal?
SirAndy
Happened to my Koni's at the last WCR ...
dry.gif
AZBanks
I finally got it on jack stands and the strut looks fine. The caliper is covered in brake fluid and the bake pads look like sponges.
Time for a caliper rebuild all around.
Frankvw
good you found out it was not the shock in the driveway on jackstands instead of on the curvy mountainroad !
AZBanks
I found the problem.

(But I can't attach pictures for some reason. I'll post when I get it figured out.)
Rand
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Sep 3 2020, 06:30 PM) *

I found the problem.

(But I can't attach pictures for some reason. I'll post when I get it figured out.)

Use your words. biggrin.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 3 2020, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Sep 3 2020, 06:30 PM) *

I found the problem.

Use your words. biggrin.gif

Kiss

My

KMA.gif ...

Oh, wait, those are the wrong words... av-943.gif

I'll try letters

B
M
W

Yes, my passenger front caliper needs a rebuild...

My BMW 320 front caliper. WTF.gif

I guess I should have looked a little closer before I bought the pads and rebuild kits for factory calipers.

Rand
Brilliant. Since your words failed...
The pictures? (oh wait...)
Dang it man, people just don't have the same balls these days.
I really miss the old days when people could talk shit and it was in fun.
AZBanks
Now who's using the wrong words.

Failing to look at the caliper before buying parts...

Yeah, I'm a dumb- bootyshake.gif . I can admit it.

Here is the nice spongy pad.
AZBanks
Here is the nice shiny caliper after some limited media blasting and polishing with a wire brush.

Rand
Was never meant to be wrong words man. Please know us old timers like to give each other shit. Ok, I realize I'm the minority now. Too bad, it was always the best camaraderie.
AZBanks
Was all in fun. At least I was "attempting" to be funny. That was why I was rolling on the floor laughing.
I was laughing at my witty comeback and laughing at myself because I was anything but brilliant.
Rand
Please bring more fun! We need it these days. Now let's see if we can figure out that we are on the same page.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 3 2020, 10:13 PM) *

Please bring more fun! We need it these days. Now let's see if we can figure out that we are on the same page.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
AZBanks
Ok, so I'm not being fun, just technical and boring.

I am ready to reassemble the front calipers.

The face of the pistons that go against the pads are not flat. There is a raised section and a recessed section. Do the pistons need to be installed with those sections clocked a certain way? Does the raised section need to be near the top of the caliper, bottom of the caliper, closer to where the disk enters the caliper or closer to where the disk exits the caliper or does it not matter?

Here are some pics showing whatg i am talking about.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5706-bra...#productthumb-5

https://3a663eb0fef48c6d2d60-a88f8ebfcdb877...16609_x800.webp
AZBanks
One more pic because I'm such a fun guy

https://tinyurl.com/y6mcvfd5
AZBanks
Found my answer.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads20/p...61340850217.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.