Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 love in latest 000
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
Just spent some time with the newest issue of 000. Fascinating story on the development of the CGT which to me is the pinnacle of Porsche sports cars. Sorry 918- if you made one without all the electric stuff I might be tempted...

Great images of the 914 with the Gulf 917. I'm assuming someone may have had to change their underwear after driving that beast!!

Thanks for always remembering we 914 guys Pete...
Mueller
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 10 2020, 07:59 PM) *

Just spent some time with the newest issue of 000. Fascinating story on the development of the CGT which to me is the pinnacle of Porsche sports cars. Sorry 918- if you made one without all the electric stuff I might be tempted...

Great images of the 914 with the Gulf 917. I'm assuming someone may have had to change their underwear after driving that beast!!

^ditto.. Pete, was this feature the reason for your hunt of finding a perfect bumper for the 914?
horizontally-opposed
^ Ha. Not the reason, but I sure was thankful for a proper front bumper during that shoot! My thanks again, @ValcoOscar

Thanks you two, and @SKL1 fully agreed about the 914-10, though the "914-12" wasn't half bad... wink.gif
cali914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 10 2020, 09:13 PM) *

^ Ha. Not the reason, but I sure was thankful for a proper front bumper during that shoot! My thanks again, @ValcoOscar

Thanks you two, and @SKL1 fully agreed about the 914-10, though the "914-12" wasn't half bad... wink.gif

Pete I knew you would not let us down. I am proud of you showing some 914 LOVE in 000. Once a 914 owner always a 914 Lover.
Optimusglen
gah, still waiting on mine!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 10 2020, 11:59 PM) *

I have a good friend that I have known for 20 years or more. He has owned both a CGT and the 918. He would disagree. He says the 918 is the best car he’s ever owned. We started out Datsun guys and he got filthy rich and I just did pretty ok...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 10 2020, 09:36 PM) *

gah, still waiting on mine!

No good! Will ask Rebekah to look into, but the USPS has become, er, not great.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 10 2020, 09:46 PM) *

I have a good friend that I have known for 20 years or more. He has owned both a CGT and the 918. He would disagree. He says the 918 is the best car he’s ever owned. We started out Datsun guys and he got filthy rich and I just did pretty ok...

He's absolutely right. And yet I'd take a CGT over a 918. Every. Time. Still the most emotional road car I have driven—and the 917 is the first of any car in 15 years to finally match the CGT for auditory delight.

But enough "914-8" and "914-10" talk, a few outtakes that didn't make it into 000 from a day that might be more interesting to 914-4 and 914-6 fans…

Credits for photos below go to Lisa Linke (car-to-car), Porsche Archive (2), and Dave Engelman (last two).

This day only happened because of those old 914/917 press photos we all know, and the near certainty it would be raining on Porsche's track day at Sears—which I figured meant I would miss my (only?) chance to drive a 917 on my "home track." Figured the least we could do is an homage to the Spa/Solitude photos, 50 years later. Never in a million years did I think I'd end up driving a 917K around a wet Sears Point…
Optimusglen
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 11 2020, 08:47 AM) *

No good! Will ask Rebekah to look into, but the USPS has become, er, not great.

I'm not concerned at all, it always takes some time to get up to the northwoods biggrin.gif

These pics are inspiring a render or two though!
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 10 2020, 09:13 PM) *

COOL...I've been swamped (with other stuff) but can't wait to open the latest 000 that I got.

Thanks,

Oscar
914-300Hemi
I enjoyed reading the articles about the CGT and your experience driving the 917 on a wet track.
I have been reading the articles while I’m doing my compliance mandatory training.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(cali914 @ Aug 10 2020, 09:30 PM) *

Pete I knew you would not let us down. I am proud of you showing some 914 LOVE in 000. Once a 914 owner always a 914 Lover.

Crazy Harry. My junior high PE teacher, a cool dude, and the fastest runner I've ever known—and the first person ever to take me up an onramp in a fast car. Have I mentioned lately that 914world rocks? Okay, the onramp was downhill, as it was the University onramp, but I'll still never forget the rush. And all that when I was the runt of the litter in your class. Just a punk kid who liked cars. Trying to remember if I rode my bike to your house? Still remember my awe when I saw that fat 914 sitting down that driveway...

You would've liked that 917, man. It's a runner—light, muscular, quick, and fast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.