Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 Porsche 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
melissakay
I have a 1970 Porsche 914 with a 1974 fresh rebuilt 2.0 liter engine and new clutch but a ruined transmission. Does anyone out there have any interest in purchasing this vehicle? Or does anyone out there have any interest in giving advice on getting an affordable transmission?
tat2dphreak
welcome.

used trannys that still work can be had for around 150-200 in the classifieds...

what makes you think the tranny is gone though?

is the clutcsh adjusted? the linkage bushings in good shape? shifter adjusted?

the tranny can usually be fixed...
Bleyseng
agree.gif
ArtechnikA
welcome!

90% of the "no drive in any gear, makes a rattle noise" are ijn fact broken CV joints.
if them's your symptoms, you may be back on the road for as little as a replacement halfshaft (but if one has failed, its partner may not be far behind...)

so what - exactly - is it that makes you think the transmission is dead. it *can* happen, although the 914 transmission is normally quite reliable when driven by any 2,0 (4 or 6) engine.

running them out of oil will eventually kill them tho...
melissakay
I am getting used to this posting system and may be repeating myself but here goes...

bought a 1970 1.8 with a 1974 2.0 parts car......took both to a shop and had the engines switched out, also had a new clutch installed......after $5000 of work (ahhhh) i drove it home and the 1st, 3rd and 5th and reverse went out. took it to a shop in town and the guy took the tranny out and said there had been no fluid in it and it was ruined. Now I'm stuck with a 914 2.0 that I can't drive and don't know what to do about.
dlo914
guys in south carolina hook up this lady w/ an affordable tranny please! boldblue.gif
RON S.
Rear shift,or side shift????

Ron
Bleyseng
shit I'll put in a good used tranny for $2500 for ya!

damn, put in a good used one as they go for $200-300. The mechanic must have done something wrong when he installed the new clutch like not add tranny oil or effed up the pilot shaft seals or needle bearings.....
Red-Beard
#1. A short drive without oil will not kill the tranny. Not good for it but will not kill it.
#2. The symptoms are not of a dead tranny, but a poorly adjusted external shift linkage to gear selector.

We do need to know if the tranny is side shift or tail shift. I have an unknown side shift in the garage which I could do a check up on - Rear cover pull and gear stack removal and check, ($350 plus shipping) or go through it and make sure it is a fully operational one that will last for several years with a complete new set of seals ($1000+ shipping).

If you have a tailshift unit, you will need to aquire the other conversion parts. Not difficult and not too expensive. And, the sideshift is far far superior to the tailshift.

Before I would go any farther, I would have someone who knows something about 901 or VW trannies take a look at it and do the shift rod alignment and fill it with oil. That will only cost you a few bucks and maybe a change of oil.

If the mechanic is not familiar with how to adjust the shift linkage, connect to my homepage and print out the shift adjustment aritcles (One is for tailshift and one is for sideshift).

I just re-read your post and my key belief is that the adjustment screw on the linkage was not tightened enough and now the shifter is not able to move backwards enough to enage gears 1-3-5.

Other possible easy fixes: Roll Pin broken inside tail cover (tailshift) or in shift console (sideshift). If sideshift, broken cone screw also possible.

Again, running without oil will not cause the symptoms you describe.

James
tat2dphreak
pray.gif

listen to this guy! Red-Beard knows his shit about these trannies.

I was hoping you'd see this thread...
Jeroen
dunno, but it sounds like you've been ripped off by the shop

hopefully a local member can check your car to see what's really wrong with your transmission
or maybe someone local can point you to a shop that knows wtf they're doing

sounds more like a mis alligned shifter mechanism...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.