Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel Housing Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghia1974
In the process of replacing my ignition switch and ignition lock on my 73. I have taken everything apart and removed the lock assembly. I removed the Allen bolt holding on the steering wheel housing but it doesn’t pull off. Not sure if I have to further disassemble the steering column starting with the removal of the large snap ring or is the housing just stuck and may need some persuasion. Definitely will make putting the connector on the ignition switch much easier with it off the column. Please help.
Rob-O
Snap ring for sure if you’re just trying to take the housing off. Otherwise the shaft can’t slide through the housing. The steering shaft stays in place the way you’re doing it.
ghia1974
Removed the snap ring, housing still doesn’t come off. Any suggestions?
bdstone914
@ghia1974
' date='Aug 12 2020, 06:52 PM' post='2842243']
Removed the snap ring, housing still doesn’t come off. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

Did you unplug the switches at the bottom and the washer hoses? If so keep pulling.
TheCabinetmaker
Remove the knee pad and you can pull the switch out from the rear. Replace lock, then plug new switch in from the back. No need to remove that other stuff
ghia1974
Knee pad removed and the 3 connectors. The turn sign and wiper switches removed, ignition switch/lock assembly removed and Allen bolt holding housing removed still housing does not slide off. What else needs to be done to pull housing off? Would make it easier to plug ignition switch connector back in, hard to do it with steering wheel housing in place, don’t want to damage switch connectors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.