Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can broken door pull be welded?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Not sure how the MIG would work on pot metal? Any other ideas or is this a goner?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
@Tdskip

My experince is that Zinc based pot metal cannot be welded.

Aladdin 3 in 1 rod is my go to solution. Not really welding more like soldering or brazing.

http://sourcewelding.com/index.php?main_pa...&cPath=8_80

However, the heat required will damage the chrome and the heat tends to move things around dimensionally.

Technically feasible - yes.

Financially viable - not really.

You will be better off to just find a nice used replacement.

I have a few pictures of a zinc pot metal based tractor part I repaired recently over on my build thread if you're interested (page 17). After the brazing, I had to remachine the part substantially to get it back to useful condition and I'm still not convinced of the strength of the repair.
914Sixer
Buy new door flap reproduction from AA. $25 + shipping on Ebay
mepstein
I'm pretty sure URY fixes them

@ury914
Rand
Yeah, you can't weld pot metal. But if URY is still around??? he used to have repair options. Too bad somebody doesn't make a quality replacement. I guess milling a billet version isn't cost effective.

Serves as a PSA I guess, don't yank on them. That's how they break. If you put your thumb at the pivot point and just rock the handle to release it will last a lot longer. Kind of like how you don't just pull the engine lid release and let it slam open...Put your hand on it. Take care of these fragile bits! smile.gif
roblav1
Odds of successful weld on that is pretty slim.
Rand
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Aug 13 2020, 11:39 AM) *

Odds of successful weld on that is pretty slim.

Or zero. Potmetal is garbage.
Tdskip
Thanks for all of the responses, will track down an un-damaged replacement (or three).

Have a good day gentlemen!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no way pot metal, but new repro door latches are very cheap these days. We used to make a replacement flap but are out of them, we do have the replacement bases though if you would ever need one of those

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 13 2020, 11:11 AM) *

Not sure how the MIG would work on pot metal? Any other ideas or is this a goner?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

URY914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 13 2020, 11:32 AM) *

I'm pretty sure URY fixes them

@ury914

That break can't be fixed.
Tdskip
Thanks, I will bin it.

What, if anything, should be saved from it? The tan plastic piece has a small crack/tear in it so that is scrap as well I assume.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 14 2020, 07:57 AM) *

Thanks, I will bin it.

What, if anything, should be saved from it? The tan plastic piece has a small crack/tear in it so that is scrap as well I assume.

Can drill rivit and keep the base as spare for yourself or someone that has the dreaded stud failure on the base. happy11.gif

If the tan plastic slide is cracked pitch it. That is where the often break first even if you are using proper technique as previously noted to use thumb at the pivot and don't yank on the flap directly.

Lock cylinder core, wafers, and springs are also useful to some.
Tdskip
Thanks, hope it’s been a good week so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.