Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Clutch Adjustment Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
I've been reading some recent threads on clutch adjustment and so far I haven't had a problem on the whole 10 miles have driven on my car. (Still in the adjustment stage.)

I fear my clutch is too tight. Should I be able to pull backwards (toward the driver) on the clutch pedal? If so, how much? Is the backward movement the spec shown in the Haynes Manual?

Now the driving part. I've always pushed the clutch to the stop every shift. Is that the correct technique or have been over stretching the cable all these years?
Tdskip
Each type of car is different so burying the clutch is not an issue in most cars. For example in my Mini Cooper you can totally depress the clutch pedal without any issue of ever hurting anything, but in the MGB or Fiat you can overextend the seals of things aren’t properly set up.

As for your new 914 depressing clutch beyond disengagement doesn’t help younshift so I would avoid depressing it to the firewall. The actual movement is pretty small at the throw out arm.

I was taught, and I’ve used this a couple of time now successfully, that the cable should be taunt but with a little give when you pull it downward.

Think there is a good video of this on YouTube, maybe even from Ian.

Does that help?

If it shifts properly leave it and just drive.
porschetub
QUOTE(Highland @ Aug 15 2020, 02:19 PM) *

I've been reading some recent threads on clutch adjustment and so far I haven't had a problem on the whole 10 miles have driven on my car. (Still in the adjustment stage.)

I fear my clutch is too tight. Should I be able to pull backwards (toward the driver) on the clutch pedal? If so, how much? Is the backward movement the spec shown in the Haynes Manual?

Now the driving part. I've always pushed the clutch to the stop every shift. Is that the correct technique or have been over stretching the cable all these years?

Do you have the right freeplay in the pedal ,thinking I have 13- 19mm? if not working right tighten up but expect stretch with more use.
It may need further adjustment and you should be fine.
Edit …..hope you haven't bought a Cofle cable as they are rubbish...ask me how I know.
Good luck.
914 Ranch
OK, I am not a mocho man I just have the mustache. I do it by the feel of the cable slack or the lack of it. I pull down on the cable just below the CV joint. The slack needs to be about one eight of an inch and this hurts my poor little finger. If you have more slack than that your clutch may drag and the tranny may be hard to shift.

Click to view attachment

Too tight and the clutch may start to slip.
My car is really dirty...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.