Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much engine horsepower before you need a different clutch/pressure plate set up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning, hope everybody’s been having a good weekend so far. For a street, non-racing, car at what point do you need to use an alternative clutch/pressure plate to deal with increased engine horsepower?

Anything above a 2056? If need it is Kennedy where to go to for that stuff?

Thanks!
Steve
I installed a 2.0 six flywheel on my 2.7 six conversion and used a stock 2.0 914-4 clutch which is the same as the 2.0 six. I was pushing around 210 with the webers headers, etc. with no slippage. That includes up and down hills in San Francisco. So your 2056 should be fine.
Steve
When I upgraded to a 3.2 I was forced to install a Kennedy adapter since the flywheel is 9 bolt. I bought the Kennedy adapter and stage 2 clutch directly from Kennedy Engineered Products. Much cheaper than anywhere else. The clutch was noticeably harder to push than stock 2.0, but I got used to it. I now run a 915 with clutch return spring and omega spring, so it’s a much better experience.
Tdskip
Thanks Steve, very helpful.
Mark Henry
Depends on how hard you are on the clutch, in theory you could have a LS6 with a stock clutch and if you drive like gramps it will last forever.

I have 2.6 T4 with 180hp in my bug with a a stock clutch, 911 disc and I cut the 2nd step an extra .010", I've never been easy on the clutch. About 25K miles on it and it's just starting to slip if I really honk on it.

My 3.0 /6 has a 228mm stage 1 bus PP.
Tdskip
Thanks Mark, hope you’re doing well up North.

I’m not a burn out kind of guy and I like to think that endurance racing taught me to be sympathetics to the machinery, I do intend to roll on the power in second and third gear corner sort of thing.

Sounds like I should be OK until I get to a flat six build.

Thanks!
thelogo
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 16 2020, 06:25 AM) *

Good morning, hope everybody’s been having a good weekend so far. For a street, non-racing, car at what point do you need to use an alternative clutch/pressure plate to deal with increased engine horsepower?

Anything above a 2056? If need it is Kennedy where to go to for that stuff?

Thanks!

No matter the clutch plate combo .

You( imho )should NOT try to match revs . kills you're clutch ala carerra gt .

Just let it out quickly, abrubtly, and then poor in the gas pedal.

Works great for me . i never except reverse and even then i try not to . touch both pedals at the same time.

Try it before you knock it . but not in any other car then a teenerrrrrrr and the cgt of course

smoke.gif smoke.gif wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.