Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cracked ignition switch replaced, still no start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rd914
Screwdriver trick at solenoid starts the car so I replaced ignition switch but it did not fix the problem. Not even a click when I turned the key but all the lights and fuel pump come on. The seat belt buzzer box under passenger
seat has been disconnected and the yellow wires connected to bypass it per recommendation from previous posts. Suggestions? Thanks.
Mueller
do you get 12vdc at the yellow wire when you turn the key??
rd914
I will check tonight. What should I check if there is and if there is none.
Cap'n Krusty
What year is your car? The Cap'n
Mueller
QUOTE (rd914 @ Jul 12 2005, 12:24 PM)
I will check tonight. What should I check if there is and if there is none.

if no voltage, you have to check the relay board, you have 2 connectors, one is a 12 pin, the other a 14 pin

14 pin connector
#1 yellow, main trunk, starter wire from ignition switch

12 pin connector
#6 yellow, starter solenoid

if you have voltage at the #1 pin, yet no voltage at #6, you have a fault with the relay board or corrosion buildup on the pins.

rd914
Thanks Mike.

Cap'n,

Car is a 76 2.0
scruz914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 12 2005, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (rd914 @ Jul 12 2005, 12:24 PM)
I will check tonight.  What should I check if there is and if there is none.

if no voltage, you have to check the relay board, you have 2 connectors, one is a 12 pin, the other a 14 pin

14 pin connector
#1 yellow, main trunk, starter wire from ignition switch

12 pin connector
#6 yellow, starter solenoid

if you have voltage at the #1 pin, yet no voltage at #6, you have a fault with the relay board or corrosion buildup on the pins.

You may have voltage but not enough juice. Make sure the contacts (male and female) are clean and tight. You can split the male pin with a razor blade which will help tighten the connection. Also make sure the connections on the starter are clean and tight.

-Jeff
TravisNeff
Make sure your coil hasn't spun in the clamp, if you short a terminal on your tin, there is a black wire that runs to your ignition switch that is not fused and will melt out, ask me how I know. That was a pain to replace the wire, not to mention after the 3 ignition switches I replaced before I realized what I messed up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.