Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unsung Heroes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Now that I have dropped the engine and transaxle of my '74 2.0L, I have now had to face repairs I have never tackled before, like clutch and flywheel replacement, end play measurement, pushrod tube seals, front and rear main seals, transaxle seals, etc. etc.

I now realize I could never have taken on these tasks without referencing the many fine "how to" videos out there on You Tube, as the printed manuals leave a lot to be desired. I am truly indebted to the mechanics out there who selflessly record and narrate their repair procedures. I for one would never think of hassling with a cell phone or video recorder while my hands are deep in grease and grime. The guys that do this are indeed unsung heroes and I for one salute and thank them.

Special thanks to the following for their videos:

Ian Kerr
Ragamuffyn Garage
CT's Garage
Jack Dembkowski
VW Darrin
Jack Kessel

Ansbacher
Cairo94507
I will second that. I find myself doing all kinds of maintenance on our two daily drivers that I would never have considered w/o the DIY videos walking me through step by step. I really appreciate not having to pay Porsche or Audi a butt-load of money to do the PDK or DSG service and all the other pretty simple things.

I almost lost my shiz when Porsche told me an oil change for the Macan GTS would be $400. Cost me about $75 for parts and oil, including a new drain plug and washer, and took me about 45 minutes start to finish.

On my S3, Audi wanted $575 to do my all wheel drive unit fluid change. I bought the parts, fluid and new bolts for $125 and it took me about 45 minutes start to finish. I even cleaned the screen filter which Audi said they never do. Bought a can of brake cleaner fluid for that for $3.00. But really it was nice and clean so I got lucky. I saw videos of cars where I imagine they are doing launch control launches and their fluid was black and the filter screen were full of gunk. I don't do launch control starts in any of my cars. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
I know Ian has a donte subscription as well as a simple subscribe button.
Highly recommend just signing up for a buck a month at least.
Worth every penny
iankarr
Thanks so much, guys. This community means so much to me and it feels great to give back.

The donate page Mark is referring to is my Patreon site. I set it up because a bunch of people asked me how they could return the favor...and, since I've been shooting and editing these myself, I figure I can use the donations to bring on some help and post more frequently. At the risk of sounding like a late-night pet adoption commercial...for just pennies a day, you can help this wrencher create more and better 914 content wink.gif. (Cue the sad Sarah Mclaughlin music).

The great thing about patreon is I can offer up other fun stuff to patrons...like live zoom chats from the garage, early access to new vdeos and bonus clips. Plus free swag!

Here's the link if youre interested:

https://www.patreon.com/iankarr?fan_landing=true

As always, please LMK if you have any suggestions / critiques.

Thanks and enjoy!

Ian
wysri9
Could not agree more with @ansbacher

Invaluable assistance to anyone undertaking work on these great but idiosyncratic cars biggrin.gif

I would also like to thank those who document their work so completely with stills - also of considerable help. I usually finish a job and think - oh a few pictures along the way might have helped somebody else....... sad.gif

Mikey914
Got me a new hat on the way aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.