Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this service repair manual set authentic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
It says printed in Germany at the bottom. Is this an authentic and real set and not printed by somebody?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Mine came in a maroon binder and belonged to Denny Kahler. Those in the Bay Area will know him from his shop. beerchug.gif
patssle
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 16 2020, 12:41 PM) *

Mine came in a maroon binder and belonged to Denny Kahler. Those in the Bay Area will know him from his shop. beerchug.gif

Yeah I've found both gray and maroon on ebay. Wonder what the color represents...
Mikey914
Does the 1st page have a copyright?
IronHillRestorations
Not sure when they switched to gray binders, but I'm pretty sure those are original factory manuals
bdstone914
Maroon is original color, grey is the reprint color. They typically copy the original exactly including the original publication date regardless as to when they were actually printed. Some wold value the original printing higher. But they are often more use and the condition is not as good.
patssle
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 16 2020, 01:11 PM) *

Does the 1st page have a copyright?

Yes - on the back.

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I got a couple of the additional 911 manuals directly from Porsche about 15 years ago, and they were gray as well, so I think those may be legit. The round pull hole is not common on most binders
Mikey914
Probably OEM,
Most folks that copied them didn’t bother with the back.
Correct on color for reprint.
So the real question is what you wanted to do with them?
They have some value as a factory set of reprint manuals.
Most value is the original “maroon” if this is an investment.

live free & drive
It's real - A4 page size, 4 rings and D shaped rings fastened to the rear leaf tell the story.

Europe only binder = Porsche

Gray binder is later, after production stopped
patssle
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 16 2020, 04:01 PM) *

Probably OEM,
Most folks that copied them didn’t bother with the back.
Correct on color for reprint.
So the real question is what you wanted to do with them?
They have some value as a factory set of reprint manuals.
Most value is the original “maroon” if this is an investment.

Awesome...thanks y'all for the help!

I want to sell them. The others went on ebay for around $400. Aside from the first and last couple pages in each book - the pages are in pristine condition. Due to heat the first and last few pages have ink bleeding over - they are a little sticky. But everything is readable. First 1 or 2 pages on a couple booklets have the holes torn. A couple booklets have some dirt (grease?) on the outside covers.

I also have the Haynes manual and Tech Tips 700 book too.
JeffBowlsby
The original red binder set had color electrical schematics. Pretty sure the grey binders are only black/white. Verify?
patssle
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 16 2020, 05:37 PM) *

The original red binder set had color electrical schematics. Pretty sure the grey binders are only black/white. Verify?

Confirmed - they are b/w.
scallyk9
Interesting. I have a full 9 volume set with maroon covers including all years and a 6 volume set in gray only covering model years into 1974. I didn't know the gray binders meant later copies.
sechszylinder
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 16 2020, 12:30 PM) *

It says printed in Germany at the bottom. Is this an authentic and real set and not printed by somebody?

seems to be the real deal. Typically the paper feels different from normal copy paper, much smoother ...

Many moons ago, i had the 914 manuals with maroon cover, and the original 911 carrera manuals with grey cover.

Sold them in favor for pdf copies which i can replicate easily for workshop use.

BR

Benno
JFJ914
Yes, they are real, I bought mine many years ago directly from Porsche.
davep
I would tend to agree that these are official factory reprints. I bought my maroon cover set back in the 1970's. The ninth binder in my set is the Technical Information volume. The tenth binder is my dealership copy of the Flat Rate volume for 911 & 914 which seems to be a photocopy done by Volkswagen Canada; many of the pages are skewed.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes they are authentic, but a factory reprint of the original burgundy binders., The pictures are not as clear and the worst is that there are not color wiring diagrams. All of the information is good though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.