Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Looking for a tail-dragger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
Does anyone have any recommendations for used dealers in the Bay Area that may have some 1984-89 tail-draggers? I need to locate a "dealer" as I want to trade in my 1998 M3 Convertible.
anthony
I hear of very few people buying 911s from dealers. You should call around to the local porsche dealers and see if they have anything. Your plan seems like a great way to spend an extra $5-7K acquiring a 911 when you consider the markup on the 911 by the dealer and the low-ball value they will give you on the M3.
boxsterfan
I moved to SF from Phoenix. I basically want to get rid of my AZ tagged vehicle because I don't want to pay the "impact" fee (~$2K) to the DMV for registering a car here in CA.

...the extra $$$$....it is only $$$$ aznd you can't take it with you. Plus, I own the M3 outright.
anthony
If a dealer takes the car in a trade the fees for bringing it in from AZ just disappear?

It may only be $$$$ but it will be rare to find the right older 911 at a dealer. Really nice cars aren't in what I'd call abundance and when you find one, you have to jump on it regardless of who is selling it. You'll do better to just sell your M3 (even to a dealer) and then buy the nicest 911 that comes along. Whatever you do, get a PPI from a top notch independent mechanic.

Mueller
I cannot think of the names right now, but I know in Campbell, Livermore and Dublin, there are some used car dealers that almost always have what you are looking for.

Some of the cars are on consignment, others the dealer bought them from the owners.

My mother-in-law took one of her MBZ 450SL's to the one in Dublin, I'll ask tonight the name of it.

Joe Bob
Sell the car(s) on ebay. The dealer will hose you on purchase.
vortrex
keep an eye on http://www.highwayone.com/Start.html .

they are just south of SF in burlingame. I bought my 928 GT there. turned out to be a great car. I had a PPI done and they covered what minor repairs were needed. they have a warehouse separate from their office which is just packed full of interesting cars. they deal in new and old.
boxsterfan
Thanks for the info on Highwayone. Taking other recommendations also!!

anthony
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jul 12 2005, 03:40 PM)

Do they negotiate? The price on that 90K mile SC at $19K is nothing less than stratospheric. I paid $12K for a 84K mile SC coupe.
vortrex
QUOTE (anthony @ Jul 13 2005, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jul 12 2005, 03:40 PM)

Do they negotiate? The price on that 90K mile SC at $19K is nothing less than stratospheric. I paid $12K for a 84K mile SC coupe.

I can't remember the specifics on whether I talked them down or not on the 928. I know that devek (where I had the PPI done) said it was a good price. I'm fairly certain that some of the cars are not owned by highway one, just on consignment. I imagine they will come down, just like any dealer, for what they own. when I bought my 928 they had a pretty decent original six for $8k.
boxsterfan
Agreed, pricing appears to be out of whack.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.