Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WONT START
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ebradley
Hi
I’ve owned my 74 Porsche 2.0 for four months now. I’m 3rd owner and has 100k original miles. Yesterday, I drove it to grab take out food and it was 100degrees outside. After I parked and grabbed food, wouldn’t start. Eventually started then stalled a few times as I pulled up to a traffic stoplight. Any ideas? Vapor lock? Thanks
thelogo
QUOTE(Ebradley @ Aug 17 2020, 02:31 PM) *

Hi
I’ve owned my 74 Porsche 2.0 for four months now. I’m 3rd owner and has 100k original miles. Yesterday, I drove it to grab take out food and it was 100degrees outside. After I parked and grabbed food, wouldn’t start. Eventually started then stalled a few times as I pulled up to a traffic stoplight. Any ideas? Vapor lock? Thanks

Sorry man but yeh i got an idea . if you happen to own a watercooled car . which dissapates heat exponentially faster . on a 100deg day. Drive it to grab food not the teener.

But i have done it myself and same thing and you're fuel pump was most likely scalding hot . too hot . thats all

But bring a bag of ice next time?

And is youre car blue ? .... With black interior . cause that sound like it would be hot
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Ebradley @ Aug 17 2020, 04:31 PM) *

Hi

Did the fuel pump get re-located up front? If not, you probably have vapor lock.

It is almost mandatory to move it up front if you live in Texas and want to actually use the car in the summer.

If you relocate the pump, I would also suggest that you put in a set of stainless steel fuel lines from Tangerine racing. The plastic lines are almost 50 years old now, and are getting brittle from engine compartment heat. Better safe than on fire.

Clay
DickSteinkamp
Is it possible to get vapor lock with FI? Seems like since the pump is always returning the majority of what it gets from the tank to the tank that vapor lock would be tough.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Aug 17 2020, 08:33 PM) *

Is it possible to get vapor lock with FI? Seems like since the pump is always returning the majority of what it gets from the tank to the tank that vapor lock would be tough.

Yes, it is not only possible, it happens on a regular basis. The fuel pump was not positioned well for a hot climate.

They fixed it in 75 when the moved the pump up front.

saigon71
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 17 2020, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Aug 17 2020, 08:33 PM) *

Yes, it is not only possible, it happens on a regular basis. The fuel pump was not positioned well for a hot climate.

They fixed it in 75 when the moved the pump up front.

agree.gif

It's real and it sucks. headbang.gif

I battled this problem for several years before moving the fuel pump up front. Hasn't happened since.

carlsol
Yep, relocate the fuel pump.
I had the same problem with my 73 2.0, i.e., would not start again after a drive even on days considerably cooler than 100 degrees.
Fuel pump was moved to the front, never had that problem again.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup sounds like it.

QUOTE(Ebradley @ Aug 17 2020, 02:31 PM) *

Hi

Ebradley
Thanks for the advice everyone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.