Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Steel Bumpers for backdating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jim_hoyland
Looking for a pair of painted steel bumpers is top condition. Looking to backdate my ‘75
Tom_T
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 17 2020, 04:35 PM) *

Looking for a pair of painted steel bumpers is top condition. Looking to backdate my ‘75

Jim - I've always LOVED your `75 Copper with the big bumpers, since it's a color & look that really works well! Maybe reconsider this move to not backdate it.

Plus you have a bit more low speed impact protection with them, than with the backdated ones.

And if you're absolutely fixated on backdating, then IMHO it would look better in chrome bumpers.

I can say this because one of my `73 2L's many paint schemes was Copper with chrome bumpers (with front tits), along with it's original L80E & several other colors over it's first 12-13 years! LOL

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of mine, but there was another former owner/member's `73 in the same copper with chrome FYI - if you want to search for it with googling, I'm sure it's still on here.

Here's a copper `75 one backdated to chrome bumpers from the Werks Reunion virtual site FYI - which will give you an idea of what yours would look like in chrome bumpers (mine looked similar, but with the front tits).

IPB Image

From here: https://www.werksreunion.com/carsDetails/1975Porsche914
https://www.werksreunion.com/cars.cfm

But again - My bigger IMHO is keep the black late bumpers on yours, since it looks good, & is safer. It just looks good, & best to keep it original as a one MY color too, I would think. IMHO this just looks sleek:

IPB Image

- above pic from ad here:
https://classiccars.com/listings/view/12487...land-ohio-44135
> Note the !72+ HP & 150+ TQ Type IV on the FAT Performance Dyno Test!

Now what do you really want to do with yours!?

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ric birks
PM sent. Your car would look great backdated. IMHO.
jim_hoyland
Answered all PMs; thanks for those offers. I will be following up... smile.gif
DRPHIL914
do it jim!!! Tom there are probably better pictures of my car than that one from Werks reunion, funny you found that from my virtual page! i can say i never got complements before the bumper change. with that said i get the safety issue and maybe a creative person could figure out how to attach nice chrome or steal bumpers to the shocks?? i have another front bumper with the tits on it and have thought about running that one when i am not going to shows etc just incase i get backed into , would give a bit more extra protection and not ruin the beautiful original early one!

Jim did you look into the stainless steel ones?
@jim_hoyland

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 18 2020, 04:48 AM) *

do it jim!!! Tom there are probably better pictures of my car than that one from Werks reunion, funny you found that from my virtual page! i can say i never got complements before the bumper change. with that said i get the safety issue and maybe a creative person could figure out how to attach nice chrome or steal bumpers to the shocks?? i have another front bumper with the tits on it and have thought about running that one when i am not going to shows etc just incase i get backed into , would give a bit more extra protection and not ruin the beautiful original early one!

Jim did you look into the stainless steel ones?
@jim_hoyland

Stainless is definitely an option; I'm thinking someone may have bought a set and decided not to install; that would be optimal....
IronHillRestorations
I have an NOS primer rear, that would chrome plate nicely. I've also got some re-chromed bumpers, but not sure exactly what I have, so I'd have to pull them down and see. Shipping is always an issue though, I'd expect it to cost $100 per, from TN to Cali Feel free to PM me Jim

I have an unusual opinion on the later bumpers. I think the front one nicely adds shape to the front of the car, and not a fan of the rears. Not a fan of the extra weight either
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 18 2020, 01:01 PM) *

I have an NOS primer rear, that would chrome plate nicely. I've also got some re-chromed bumpers, but not sure exactly what I have, so I'd have to pull them down and see. Shipping is always an issue though, I'd expect it to cost $100 per, from TN to Cali Feel free to PM me Jim

I have an unusual opinion on the later bumpers. I think the front one nicely adds shape to the front of the car, and not a fan of the rears. Not a fan of the extra weight either

PM sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.