Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Junkyard etiquette
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I have been haunting the local junk yards over that last month getting parts to restore my MBZ. I have noticed a steep decline in the respect given by the other yard rats. I ask this, if someone is pulling parts off of a car is it ok for you to walk up and start pulling parts off of the same car? To me, this is very rude and worthy of an ass whopping. I was pulling a part out of a car and some ass started stripping the wheels while I was in the car. I first felt the shaking, then noticed the little bastard trying to ignore my existence. Then, the same day at a different yard I was inside a 914 this time and all of the sudden I see two hands appear to be grabbing the open front hood. I was like, "Hey, get your own car!" This time the guy could not ignore the big, angry, dirty, bald guy yelling at him.

But wait, there is more.....

So I went to get the new windshield on the 914. While I was waiting a guy pulls up in his 66 MBZ and we start talking. He says that it is a bitch to turn as it has no power steering and asks me if I thought it was possible to convert his car. I look at it and say that his block looks just like mine so all of the mounts could be used, and recomend that he go to the yards next door and see what he could find. This guy was also there to pick up a front windshield for his 912 so I gave him all kinds of leads and contacts to try for other parts. Man, aint I a nice guy? dry.gif
So, since I had some time to kill I decide to go to the lots with him to consult as he was not too mechanically inclined. We hit the first yard and I was mentioning how I just scored a set of fog lights and I needed a lens as one was cracked. We no sooner get there than I see a set on a car, but they were had. I then see another set down at the end and exclaim, "there's the pair that I need, sweet!" Immediatly the ass takes off and decides to lay claim to these lights that he thought would complement his car soo well. ar15.gif I am like, huh? He then proceeds to try to remove them with his rusty 9/16" wrench, then his rusty needle nose pliers, then his rusty screw driver....this was all he had. He offered to pay me to remove them for him because he was so freaken inept. I kindly said, "I would feel that that would be a conflict of interest as I actually need them." dry.gif I did tell him that I had an earlier set that would be correct for his car and that I would be willing to sell him thise for $20, but he wanted to get the ones there and to maybe swap later. He then starts bugging the other yard rats for tools. Tools that he realy does not know how to use. Well, he starts tugging and pullign and twisting and I am now more interested in him not destroying the lights so I offer some friendly advise on how to safely remove the lights. Why am I so nice? He is lost and my head is starting to get burnt so I tell him I am leaving. He said that he was just gonna hang out there and wait for someone to come along with the right tool. I get back to the window place, they finish up my car, and an hour later there is still no sign of the wacko. I leave and am pretty annoyed. Well, today I stopped at the same yard to see maybe if they were still there. They were gone and the ass cut the metal around the moutns with what I am guessing is a hammer and a big screwdriver. What a dink! mad.gif

Am I correct at being annoyed at these people?
bondo
YES! Fortunately I have never had stuff like this happen.. People always ask me if it's ok before they even start poking around... maybe I'm more intimidating than you? chairfall.gif Hahaha, no, that can't be it. Maybe they figure you're a tough bald guy, but with me I'm clearly a whimp, so if I'm at a wrecking yard in a bad neighborhood I must be armed. smile.gif
Brad Roberts
So far..

I havent had a 993 guy or 996TT guy treat me that way....

It all comes down to what you are doing and who your are dealing with. People looking for $5 parts typically are not the cream of the crop. I'm learning the differences daily.

B
DNHunt
I think i would have been pissed. Get ready cause the same thing will happen in gross anatomy. Some of the people will screw up a dissection and then climb all over yours. Doesn't matter where you are there are always a few bad apples

Good luck

Dave
goose2
I think it was george Carlin that said, "remember, half the people you meet are below average":headbang:
redshift
Dave, that is absolutely DISGUSTING! beerchug.gif

M
URY914
I was at a fairly famous totally nude club one night. I'm checking out the ladies to see who I would like to give me a nice, long, slow, full contact lap dance. I'm thinking that blond with the big hoots would be nice. Next think I know some A-hole is walking to the back with her! mad.gif

Same feeling as someone getting in your stuff at a junk yard.

Paul

olav
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jul 12 2005, 11:40 AM)
What a dink! mad.gif

My thoughts exactly!
Dr Evil
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 12 2005, 01:04 PM)
I was at a fairly famous totally nude club one night. I'm checking out the ladies to see who I would like to give me a nice, long, slow, full contact lap dance. I'm thinking that blond with the big hoots would be nice. Next think I know some A-hole is walking to the back with her! mad.gif

Same feeling as someone getting in your stuff at a junk yard.

Paul

Oh man....too many mammaries/memories. Ya, it does feel the same. I ask, but I gues I am in the upper percentile.
redshift
Paul, isn't someone out there listening to the stereo rig out of your truck?

laugh.gif

M
nebreitling
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jul 12 2005, 11:46 AM)
So far..

I havent had a 993 guy or 996TT guy treat me that way....

ah, just wait until i make some money brad... wavey.gif
URY914
Miles,

I was at a titty bar once (well, not only once) and a guy got shot. That place cleared out quick!!

But thats another story for another thread.... smile.gif

Paul
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jul 12 2005, 03:40 PM)
Am I correct at being annoyed at these people?

1) it kinda comes with the territory - who do you expect to meet there?
2) this was in CA, yes? you won't have this problem in PA. an armed society is a polite society. OTOH - there won't be the bounty of vintage Euro cars in PA recycling yards, either...
Mr.C
Sounds like my experience this weekend at the local pick n pull. As I'm laying on my back under this truck trying to pull these cool overload airbags for my suburban aktion035.gif these two dudes step over my legs and start yanking on the truck! No excuse me or anything just step over me like I'm a piece of stromberg.gif or junk yard scrap. I at least nod when I pass and with out exception say excuse me if I get to close. smile.gif
SpecialK
...like someone eating off your plate in a restaurant (SO's included). mad.gif
bd1308
I was at a restaruant and while I was eating my steak, some mutt dog jumped into my lap and stole my damn steak.....

WTF?

and where in the hell did the dog come from???
MattR
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 12 2005, 06:06 PM)
I was at a restaruant and while I was eating my steak, some mutt dog jumped into my lap and stole my damn steak.....

WTF?

and where in the hell did the dog come from???

You coulda fought him for it dry.gif

biggrin.gif
bd1308
well i did, I grabbed with my teeth on one end of the steak and he had the other end, and we played tug-of-war with it for like 30 seconds.

Then I gave him the steak and the family and the pet dog hopped into the 914 and went home....
Dave Bell
Long ago at the Sun Valley, CA Pick-a-Part... they used to let live Turkeys out in the yard onthe long Thanksgiving weekend and you could keep one for dinner if you could catch it.... Something about lawyers and people throwing tools probably made them discontinue that attraction.

Now Thanksgiving is just a half-off day.

- Dave
Mr.C
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 12 2005, 06:10 PM)

Then I gave him the steak and the family and the pet dog hopped into the 914 and went home....

So did Goldielocks steal your bed too?
bd1308
QUOTE (Cabasa @ Jul 12 2005, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 12 2005, 06:10 PM)

So did Goldielocks steal your bed too?

no, she slept with me cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.