Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauging Interest: GT Oil-cooler Fan support
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Hi All,

I've received several messages and seems there is some interest in a recent fan/shroud support I created for my 3.6 project. Sending this thread out to gauge interest in producing a run of these, photos of the prototype below (shown in ABS)....

Generalities:
- 16 gauge steel, easily customizable for each build, and allows the 'garage builder' to weld
- Added 1" on top and bottom. The user/myself can either bend the top and bottom to be used as an additional air-direct for pusher/puller fans, or as a support for aluminum/fiberglass shroud OR the excess can be trimmed to more accurately reflect the below photo.
- In production now, 1-2 week to delivery
- Targeting 'initial run' price of $120 per piece, will increase.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
So you're trying to sell a piece of sheetmetal, for $120, that is supposed to be a fan shroud, that you haven't actually tested yet to realize it has too many holes cut in it to work properly?

huh.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 19 2020, 12:31 PM) *

So you're trying to sell a piece of sheetmetal, for $120, that is supposed to be a fan shroud, that you haven't actually tested yet to realize it has too many holes cut in it to work properly?

huh.gif

Hi Chris, this is not a fan shroud but rather a support and relies on the user having additional components (Fiberglass shroud, Cooler, etc.)

You are correct. I am trying to use what I've learned based on the limited resources / availability of parts and knowledge to further increase the appeal of the 914 and the community as a whole. As for too many holes; I welcome your feedback.

bye1.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 19 2020, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 19 2020, 12:31 PM) *

huh.gif

Hi Chris, this is not a fan shroud but rather a support and relies on the user having additional components (Fiberglass shroud, Cooler, etc.)

You are correct. I am trying to use what I've learned based on the limited resources / availability of parts and knowledge to further increase the appeal of the 914 and the community as a whole. As for too many holes; I welcome your feedback.

bye1.gif
RiqueMar
Hi All,

Updating this thread with progress photos from my recent first revision. I got a little behind on this, however happy to show a complete piece. We ended up moving the structure right up against the cooler face and eliminating pass-through holes to increase the amount of suction and direct airflow straight-through the cooler.

I've received messages from a few members, please let me know if anyone else is interested in these. Happy to help the 914-community! bye1.gif

Final piece:
- 16-18g steel or aluminum
- No welding necessary
- Fits 1-4 fans. Buyer determines amount, no extra charge.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Any chance you could supply it with the fans and wiring harness?
Steve
How about just the hardware, no fans. Curious if my existing spal fans will work? What are the fan specs?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2021, 01:10 PM) *

@mepstein - Not a problem at all. Can supply wired with a male/female connector ready to install. beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 18 2021, 02:12 PM) *

How about just the hardware, no fans. Curious if my existing spal fans will work? What are the fan specs?

@Steve - Also not a problem, will PM you spal fan specs bye1.gif
Luke M
The bracket and three fans fit under a GT cooler shroud w/o mods?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 18 2021, 04:21 PM) *

The bracket and three fans fit under a GT cooler shroud w/o mods?

@Luke M - You'll notice from the photos that the shroud itself is only a little-bit larger than the cooler, .125" top and bottom. I'm attaching a few pictures of the mount I fabricated for my cooler to make it easily removable. Studs are M8, and allow the user to add a isolator and reduce vibration, I'll admit I went a bit overkill, but it was fun. If there is enough interest, happy to make these mounting brackets as well, I have the designs in my notes. welder.gif

Hopefully, this will pick up enough, and I can justify pulling a mold for the shroud. I added tabs to eliminate sheet-metal screws, making it both easier to mount (off the body instead of the cooler) and overall cleaner. bye1.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
First orders received smilie_pokal.gif Excited to get these started!

For those interested, make your purchase now, this initial price won’t last icon_bump.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 18 2021, 01:52 PM) *

Hi All,

Updating this thread with progress photos from my recent first revision. I got a little behind on this, however happy to show a complete piece. We ended up moving the structure right up against the cooler face and eliminating pass-through holes to increase the amount of suction and direct airflow straight-through the cooler.

I've received messages from a few members, please let me know if anyone else is interested in these. Happy to help the 914-community! bye1.gif

Final piece:
- 16-18g steel or aluminum
- No welding necessary
- Fits 1-4 fans. Buyer determines amount, no extra charge.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

i am not in the market but that is a nice looking set-up, very well done. it might not be seen after installation of the shroud but that is great, if i were doing a front oil cooler i would have to consider it.
Montreal914
Nice setup but I have a couple of questions:

Aren't you worried of blocking a lot of the air flow through the radiator with only having the round openings for the fan, knowing the fan hubs are also blocking, left with 3 donuts of open area?

You mentioned the shroud being larger than the cooler, how will you seal that void so the incoming cooling air can be forced through the radiator and not around it?

Thank you for sharing! smile.gif
mepstein
I purchased one. It looks good to me. If it doesn’t work well enough for my needs, I’ll pull it out, modify or use something else.

It's a bonus when I can buy from a 914World member.

driving.gif
RiqueMar
@Montreal914 and @DRPHIL914 - Thanks for the nice comments and questions. Letting you know I saw your posts, and will respond shortly, just in the middle of a work-crunch.

smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jan 20 2021, 07:56 AM) *

i am not in the market but that is a nice looking set-up, very well done. it might not be seen after installation of the shroud but that is great, if i were doing a front oil cooler i would have to consider it.

@DRPHIL914 - Thanks for your nice words, much appreciated. Glad to see the passing is reflected in the photos.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 20 2021, 08:09 AM) *

Nice setup but I have a couple of questions:

Aren't you worried of blocking a lot of the air flow through the radiator with only having the round openings for the fan, knowing the fan hubs are also blocking, left with 3 donuts of open area?

You mentioned the shroud being larger than the cooler, how will you seal that void so the incoming cooling air can be forced through the radiator and not around it?

Thank you for sharing! smile.gif

@Montreal914 - Great questions, and thank you.

Air will still pass through the cooler, as the front of it is still open. Additionally, as the fans are designed to 'pull air' through the system, the lack of holes on the bracket creates suction, pulling air through the cooler.

To your second point; The shroud is slightly larger than the cooler, so we added a rubber seal to the top and bottom, as well as the sides (further helping on the 'suction' front). Additionally, when functioning, the entire apparatus has the fiberglass shroud around it which also directs air to the cooler. If the owner plans to race, or really push the car, they could certainly add another piece of sheet metal (illustration below) and box everything in so that air can only go though the cooler, but that is a fabrication question that is up to the owner. Me? I'm less concerned about cooling when at speed and more so in traffic, thus the selection of 'puller' fans.

Hope I answered all your questions, and if you have more, please keep them coming! aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 20 2021, 08:21 AM) *

I purchased one. It looks good to me. If it doesn’t work well enough for my needs, I’ll pull it out, modify or use something else.

It's a bonus when I can buy from a 914World member.

driving.gif

@mepstein - Señor Mark, thank you for your purchase!
Bucci
It would be nice if you opened up the “air” exit on the bottom floor of the trunk. The louver slot openings are tiny. The exit side should be twice the size of of the opening, less pressure more flow.

In fact, I bent the floor sheet metal down on the leading edge of the air exit to help suck out the air creating a suction. Its the same theory as the little plastic flappers on the bottom of the car at the engine bay..!
mb911
QUOTE(Bucci @ Jan 22 2021, 11:00 PM) *

It would be nice if you opened up the “air” exit on the bottom floor of the trunk. The louver slot openings are tiny. The exit side should be twice the size of of the opening, less pressure more flow.

In fact, I bent the floor sheet metal down on the leading edge of the air exit to help suck out the air creating a suction. Its the same theory as the little plastic flappers on the bottom of the car at the engine bay..!

agree.gif but it is what most people have.
gereed75
Nice set up and to my “seat of the pants” engineering eye, it should be quite effective. Yes a larger exit area would be nice

The efficient design of heat exchangers in air flow and their attendant plenum “systems” is very complex. Compared to what is done in places like Formula 1 and aircraft design, the 914 GT inlet and shroud is a very quick and dirty system. The addition of the fans kinda dominates the system’s airflow characteristics making the other design features pretty much secondary. It is also the fans that will make it effective no matter how clunky the rest of the design is.

It’s a KISS system. Don’t over think it.
mepstein
I don't personally like the traditional GT solution with the small louvers. I use the two access holes to the back of the floor. The round covers are held in by seam sealer so there is no cutting involved. It wont work with the stock style GT shroud but I want something custom anyway. I'm going to convince Ben to make me a stainless steel shroud - biggrin.gif - I think it will look cool and I won't have to worry about throwing things in the trunk and damaging a glass shroud.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2021, 09:22 AM) *

I don't personally like the traditional GT solution with the small louvers. I use the two access holes to the back of the floor. The round covers are held in by seam sealer so there is no cutting involved. It wont work with the stock style GT shroud but I want something custom anyway. I'm going to convince Ben to make me a stainless steel shroud - biggrin.gif - I think it will look cool and I won't have to worry about throwing things in the trunk and damaging a glass shroud.

@mepstein - Thinking to do something in fiberglass after seeing the unit I had and how much work it needed shades.gif
Bucci
Ben, I did my fabrication 21 years ago durning the restoration. I just mimic the factory design. No fans, no over heating problems ever. I’ll add pics below.

Unlike Armando‘s, all sheet metal openings that I cut on the car I retained a return edge of the 90° angle to create structure.

Armando has a very good write up of his journey to duplicate the factory design. He spent all kinds of money fabricating his design.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...-project-5.html

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Armando‘s design

Click to view attachment
Factory tow hook design I believe.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 23 2021, 05:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Bucci @ Jan 22 2021, 11:00 PM) *

agree.gif but it is what most people have.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Bucci @ Jan 23 2021, 03:03 PM) *

Ben, I did my fabrication 21 years ago durning the restoration. I just mimic the factory design. No fans, no over heating problems ever. I’ll add pics below.

Unlike Armando‘s, all sheet metal openings that I cut on the car I retained a return edge of the 90° angle to create structure.

Armando has a very good write up of his journey to duplicate the factory design. He spent all kinds of money fabricating his design.

@Bucci - Pretty cool. Do you have any photos without the shroud? Also, did you retain your on-engine cooler?
gereed75
Looking at the Armando thread and the work that went into that cooler and plenum setup, and as much as it represents the factory effort, I would say that the factory effort was significantly better than quick and dirty.

It is all about directing and controlling airflow. The air is being driven by pressure differential and that differential is surprisingly small in these kinds of systems. The effort done to smooth and contain the airflow in the factory setup is what optimizes the flow and makes it work.

Again, the addition of fans kind of changes the whole equation and makes up for a lot of less than optimal design features.
Steve
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 18 2021, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2021, 01:10 PM) *

@mepstein - Not a problem at all. Can supply wired with a male/female connector ready to install. beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 18 2021, 02:12 PM) *

@Steve - Also not a problem, will PM you spal fan specs bye1.gif

@riquemar how much for just the bracket?
ConeDodger
@RiqueMar ,
Still doing these?
Luke M
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 28 2021, 07:33 AM) *

@RiqueMar ,
Still doing these?

I emailed him about 2 weeks ago and he said he was leaving for a vacation. He didn't say when he was going to be back. To answer your question He was making a list of people that wanted these brackets or whole setup. He was going to work on it when he returned.
I can send him an email to see where this stands and to check in here.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 28 2021, 02:59 PM) *

@RiqueMar ,
Still doing these?

I emailed him about 2 weeks ago and he said he was leaving for a vacation. He didn't say when he was going to be back. To answer your question He was making a list of people that wanted these brackets or whole setup. He was going to work on it when he returned.

Thanks, I am interested.
RiqueMar
Hi All - Thanks for the patience.

Traveling alot for work currently. With COVID still a hot-topic, I've limited travel to just myself to avoid our installers being in the field.

Yes, still doing these. To those interested in just the bracket, total is $128 before shipping. Comes pre-bent, painted, and ready to install fans.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 28 2021, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 28 2021, 02:59 PM) *

@RiqueMar ,
Still doing these?

Thanks, I am interested.

Hi All,

Back in California and filling orders now, PMing individuals now!
RiqueMar
Thank you to all who placed the first-set of orders, shipments going out tomorrow. Very proud to show these off! smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.