Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Vendor wants to jump on making these...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesM
What would it take to get one of our vendors to make these?

022115542 - crank case valve

Surprisingly critical part for proper operation on 72-74 djet cars, not just for crank case venting but has a large impact on idle control and how d-jet runs. Supposed to be a regular maintenance/replacement item as well yet they haven't been available for close to 20 years. Struggling to find any that don't result in some sort of idle control issue these days.

Less critical is the associated nut 022115544

@Mikey914 @UROpartsman or anyone else want to bite?
914werke
Ummm
Unless this is concours thing confused24.gif
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 19 2020, 06:02 PM) *

What would it take to get one of our vendors to make these?

022115542 - crank case valve

Surprisingly critical part for proper operation on 72-74 djet cars, not just for crank case venting but has a large impact on idle control and how d-jet runs. Supposed to be a regular maintenance/replacement item as well yet they haven't been available for close to 20 years. Struggling to find any that don't result in some sort of idle control issue these days.

Less critical is the associated nut 022115544

@Mikey914 @UROpartsman or anyone else want to bite?

This might work for you:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=347986

smile.gif
914werke
biggrin.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(914werke @ Aug 19 2020, 05:13 PM) *

Ummm
Unless this is concours thing confused24.gif

Call me a perfectionist... But also it is going on a bumblebee.

Replacing with a modern valve is an option but they both look and operate differently than a stock valve. If it was coming to hacking a solution together I would probably just put a restrictor inline with a bad valve to keep the idle down (something I have done on other 914s in the past, but would prefer to have stock operation if possible.
davep
Can you post a photo?
Mikey914
Happy to take a look at these this next week. I'm pretty sure I have one laying around.
Can't see these tings being too expensive.
JamesM
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 19 2020, 08:13 PM) *

Can you post a photo?

Click to view attachment
JamesM
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 19 2020, 10:03 PM) *

Happy to take a look at these this next week. I'm pretty sure I have one laying around.
Can't see these tings being too expensive.

Last time Porsche had these they were around ~$10. Biggest issue I see is probably figuring out the proper spring pressure.

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/PCV.htm

Used on some VWs as well so may be a larger market? IDK? I suspect a lot of people don't realize how badly worn ones can mess with how d-jet cars run as people don't really associated them with the injection system, but in addition to causing air leaks/idle speed issues worn ones can cause erratic manifold pressure under driving conditions, which can result in change to the MPS output that messes with the FI mixture and can cause missfires/the mystery "d-jet" bucking that no one can ever track down because no one ever gives the crank case vent valve a 2nd thought unless they have failed completely.
JamesM
Was gone over in depth long ago on STF but for some reason doesn't ever seem to be brought up here.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=34350
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 20 2020, 12:00 AM) *

Was gone over in depth long ago on STF but for some reason doesn't ever seem to be brought up here.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=34350

That was a very interesting discussion. Thanks.

There was a lot of really bad information being bandied about until Brad Anders stepped in.

IMO, Brad Anders has it exactly right for the particular part you are looking for. It has two modes -- fixed metered and shut. Contrast this with a modern valve that varies its metering based on the differential pressure across the valve. For that 022115542 part, correctly plumbed to the plenum (with crankcase replacement air provided via the anti-flashback valve), it's going to be "open" just about any time the engine is running. It should only close under backfire, start up, and *possibly* under WOT.

Under WOT with a lot of blow-by, crankcase pressure should be limited to very slightly above atmospheric pressure by back-venting through the anti-flashback valve. At the same time, the manifold vacuum is less than 1 In-Hg because the throttle butterfly is fully open. So the differential pressure across the PCV valve is likely less than 2-3 In-Hg or so. Somebody would need to characterize the valve to see how it's supposed to behave at that pressure. But, I suspect under these conditions, the majority of the gasses are vented to the airbox through the anti-flash valve rather than through the PCV valve, even if it's open at WOT.
UROpartsman
We've had this item on the "maybe" list for years and it wouldn't be hard to make, does anyone have a NOS piece or good sample we could use?
914Sixer
I should have a used one in the warehouse.
Mikey914
Ok,
Had started drawings on this, but if URO wants to take it on let them. popcorn[1].gif
second wind
So...is there a good way to service these little suckers? I would love to clean mine if someone has a good procedure to follow but my usual is to muscle f..k the part in question and then be in non-op for a week or so. It is 47 year old plastic that has been heat tempered 200,000 times.....I bet I break it if I touch it. Car runs fine but the idle decides by itself when it wants to be perfect.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anything to make the car happier as we all know happy car happy owner. Thank you very much.
gg
JamesM
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Sep 14 2020, 08:49 AM) *

We've had this item on the "maybe" list for years and it wouldn't be hard to make, does anyone have a NOS piece or good sample we could use?

I have 3 or 4 questionable if not outright bad ones. Good for the physical dimensions but probably not helpful on determining the internal spring rate.
UROpartsman
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 14 2020, 11:10 AM) *
I should have a used one in the warehouse.

Thanks Mark, we'll get back to you late next week on that, our head of product development is currently out of the office.
second wind
Cleaned my existing one.....seems to function just fine....found a lose vacuum line in the process so hoping for overall improvement....gotta' love the process....will report back....gg
Eric_Shea
Find someone that knows how to put a modern EFI system on there... huh.gif wink.gif
second wind
Well...I said I would report back not that anyone gives a s__t....car runs like a rocket now. Found a loose big vacuum line and sealed around the oil fill spout and cleaned the PCV and buttoned it all up.....started with half a turn of the key and just keep on running and sounded very happy. These pancake engines love their vacuum, eh?
All the best,
gg
Mikey914
I'm happy you were able to resolve the problem. For what it's worth. beer3.gif
UROpartsman
Mark says his valve isn't in the best condition, anyone have a good sample we could use for development?
UROpartsman
We found a good sample, thanks guys. Currently evaluating feasibility.
dax1969
Hi there,

Any news on this ? No idea if mine is properly working or not but interested in replacing. Have high idle (12/1300 rpm) and can't get it lower. When I block the line from the pcv valve to the plenum then the idle drops to 950 rpm

thks
Dax
bdstone914
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Apr 23 2021, 05:39 AM) *

Hi there,

Any news on this ? No idea if mine is properly working or not but interested in replacing. Have high idle (12/1300 rpm) and can't get it lower. When I block the line from the pcv valve to the plenum then the idle drops to 950 rpm

thks
Dax

@dax1969

I have several used ones i have cleaned. I will check the operation.
UROpartsman

Hi there, Any news on this ?

We're currently awaiting a quote for the tooling to make these, so we're making progress but production is still quite a ways out (assuming tooling cost isn't prohibitive).
Mark Henry
Likely mentioned already, but there's also a plastic cap on the bottom of the breather. I often find this cap sitting loose in the engine case chimney when I rebuild an engine.
FlatSix
Likely mentioned already, but there's also a plastic cap on the bottom of the breather. I often find this cap sitting loose in the engine case chimney when I rebuild an engine.

How important is this cap? I have just thrown away a small black plastic cap that I assumed the previous owner dropped in there!
dax1969
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 23 2021, 04:31 PM) *

Hi there,

thks
Dax

@dax1969

thks, let me know , interested in buying a good one

krgds
Dax
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(FlatSix @ Apr 24 2021, 12:18 AM) *

How important is this cap? I have just thrown away a small black plastic cap that I assumed the previous owner dropped in there!

It's been a while since I looked at it, but IIRC the breather box ('73 2.0 anyway) had a chamber that looked like it was designed to collect sludge/sediment/debris that had been sucked up out of the crankcase. The plastic cap seemed to be a kind of "cleaning plug". I imagine that the idea was that you'd remove the plug and clean out the residue periodically.

For better or worse, I just left that cap off after my engine rebuild, as you have to remove it to unscrew the back of the PCV anyway.
JamesM
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Apr 23 2021, 04:39 AM) *

Hi there,

thks
Dax

That is for sure one of the issues when these things fail. If blocking the line resolves it, the valve is most likely bad. You could pull the valve out to verify, usually the internal plate becomes dislodged or the spring breaks allowing to much air past the valve.

Now try to find a working replacement....
76-914
Someone did a write up here about a suitable replacement for that NLA part. Might have been a Toyota product? He had been chasing his tail with a high idle problem before he found this part. Sorry but I don't remember who posted it!
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 27 2021, 02:24 PM) *

Someone did a write up here about a suitable replacement for that NLA part. Might have been a Toyota product? He had been chasing his tail with a high idle problem before he found this part. Sorry but I don't remember who posted it!

That sounds like me. biggrin.gif

Check post #3 at the beginning of this thread.

Here's the link again:

Cheers. beerchug.gif
76-914
That's it. I bookmarked it this time. THX. beerchug.gif
dax1969
QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Apr 27 2021, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 27 2021, 02:24 PM) *

That sounds like me. biggrin.gif

Check post #3 at the beginning of this thread.

Here's the link again:

Cheers. beerchug.gif

Found that thread earlier and was excited to see a solution .... got worried and backed out when DRPHIL914 jumped in and created a leak ...

Do you still run the Toyota PCV valve with no issues ? Idle ok, no leaks ?

thks yr feedback

Dax

Not_A_Six
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Apr 28 2021, 01:06 AM) *

Found that thread earlier and was excited to see a solution .... got worried and backed out when DRPHIL914 jumped in and created a leak ...

Do you still run the Toyota PCV valve with no issues ? Idle ok, no leaks ?

thks yr feedback

Dax

Yep. I still run it without any problems. I did swap the electrical tape for some heat shrink tubing as was suggested by bob164. Looking at that thread again, it seems that DRPHIL's issue was that his '75 didn't have a return line to the crankcase through an anti-flashback valve. So plumbing the breather box to the plenum instead of the air filter depressurized the crankcase and caused...something...to leak.

At this point, I can say that the Corolla PCV valve seems to work really well in a '73 2.0, with the rest of the system plumbed like Bowlsby's diagram. If you have some other engine, or some other model year, or some other hose routing, you may have issues.

If you currently have a hose running from the breather box to the air filter box, you can't just splice in a PCV valve and run the hose to the plenum instead. You need the whole system per Bowlsby.

Cheers. beerchug.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Apr 26 2021, 12:47 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 23 2021, 04:31 PM) *

Hi there,

thks
@Dax

Here are two that are cleaned and tested. Asking $15 plus shipping.

@dax1969

thks, let me know , interested in buying a good one

krgds
Dax

pbanders
@UROpartsman , any update on PCV valves? I guarantee you could sell a bunch of these to 914 and VW owners out there. Thanks!
euro911
So they're only applicable on '72 & later D-jet systems?

popcorn[1].gif
JamesM
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 8 2022, 10:44 AM) *

So they're only applicable on '72 & later D-jet systems?

popcorn[1].gif

72-74 I believe (though i am not as familiar with the earlier pre 72 cars)

75 they changed the oil tower to use a much larger vent that runs to the 75 specific air filter.
UROpartsman
QUOTE(pbanders @ May 8 2022, 11:35 AM) *

@UROpartsman , any update on PCV valves? I guarantee you could sell a bunch of these to 914 and VW owners out there. Thanks!

Hi guys, we researched making these, and unfortunately the tooling is too costly compared to potential sales. Sorry we don't have better news.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.