Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toughest Seal Ever!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
'74 2.0 Side Shift (but you knew that)

OK, finishing up on the tranny rebuild (Thank you Dr Evil @dr_evil ) and I am not able to remove the shifter Selector Rod seal..........

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I have tried using a seal remover, screwdriver, long-thin drift from the other side (wrong angle), a pick, a hammer and the screw driver, all while being careful trying not to marr the side of the seal housing.

It almost seems as if there is a metal washer pressed into the hold on top of the seal...........weird......

Any ideas?
Experiences?
Incantations?
ctc911ctc
The Seal has been removed, Turns out that this seal (I am very certain the tranny case has never been opened before this) has a steel outer housing. Kind of like a bearing case.

I needed to deform and then pull it out........about 1.5 hours so I did not screw up the receptacle. Hole?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Frankvw
that was quite a fight yes ! ....but the new seal has only metal on the inside to make it stiff ?
Mikey914
Yes it used a metal ring to hold it firmly in place.
ctc911ctc
The one that came in the tranny gasket kit is not as bulletproof. Any advice as to this component?

All vendors seem to sell the same one - has anyone ever bought one with a steel case?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.