Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 Fiberglass Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drc001
So, I've tried to find something here about this, and I'm sure someone has talked about this somewhere in here, but I searched for over an hour and come up with nothing. I'm doing a major do over on my car (lots of rust repairs, body work, etc.), and I'm thinking about going with the 916 bumpers. Part of the reason for this is my original front bumper has indents from the bumper guards where someone pushed something or tried to knock down a wall or something. I could get the original repaired, but that's going to be costly. I've always like the 916 look, and I've seen some nice looking examples. I looks like Auto Atlanta is the only source for these. My questions(s) -- if you've installed a set of these, what was the quality of the part? How much messaging was needed to get it well fitted? Also, do they come with mounts or do you have to get those too? I guess I'm curious to hear what you all think about this modification versus original.

I should say that this is not a pristine original car, so mods are not an issue. It's a six conversion with (fiberglass) gt flares. Here's the car before it's most recent major tear down Click to view attachment
Andyrew
If there was a quality reproduction out there I would say go for it. Unfortunately the current reproductions are copies of copies of not an original and so they are massively misshapen. The rears are NOT bad, a little fiddling and they are OK. The fronts are horrible. Almost flat vs a tapered point on the nose.

AA bumper
IPB Image

Real bumper.
IPB Image

Sadly George wont make a new mold from his 916 (the grey one pictured)... It would be a huge gain for the 914 community and he would sell a ton of them. but it could risk his half-3/4 million dollar 914...
Andyrew
The quality/early replicas look like mine. You notice the top part of the bumper is the same width all the way through.

IPB Image

Its not perfect. but its WAY better than the current AA Reproduction.
hcdmueller
You could look at these guys over in Germany. Expensive, but looks better than the current AA setup.

https://www.f-s-h.com/Front-bumper-for-916

I could have sworn I saw a Brit company that was making these as well. I can't find it at the moment.
mepstein
Not worth it.
Mikey914
Guys these are part of the 916 molds we brought. The word I had on these was they were correct and did fit perfectly. I've been told that some actually require the end user to make modifications.
The ones we bought didn't. I will confirm once we have pulled our 1st set. We are also working on some improvements to these that will make them more durable. I'm actually doing a full write up on the program this Tuesday.
BTW it will include carbon fiber.

Here's a sneak peek
Mikey914

Here's a sneak peek
aturboman
I just started down this very path on my (gulp) no cost 916 recreation project.

The front bumper I sourced is the correct overall shape and form unlike most of the "punch-in" looking ones.

But that said it is going to require it to be completely sectioned/ cut up and reworked in every area to fit as good as the original.

Nothing lines up on the car which is arrow straight.

Estimated body time alone is 30+ hours just for the front bumper re-work and the rear is just as bad.

Porsche doesn't have any more originals I asked, and it would have been cheaper to buy a new one from them unsure.gif

Only relaying all this since its a slippery slope once you're on it.

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
I'm not sure which one is on my car its been on for more than 10 years.

Looks alright to me. The top was definitely trimmed to be able to close the hood without it hitting.
Click to view attachment
gms
@drc001 I have a very high quality set of front and rear 916 bumpers and I am just west of Chicago if you are interested
horizontally-opposed
Noticed the ill fit of many replica 916 bumpers (particularly the front), but now not going to be able to unsee those that aren't as curved as they should be.

If that's all that is available, and $/hassle are a factor, I'd reach out to Oscar for a set of factory bumpers or consider fiberglass GT bumpers (which will also take some fitting as I understand it).

EDIT: Glenn is in with some good ones...
VaccaRabite
One of the things I noticed at the recent 50th Gathering in PA is that non for the 25ish cars had 916 bumpers. 10 years ago if there was a meet several of the cars would have them. I'm wondering if they are just falling out of favor.

I have a set of front and rear 916 bumpers waiting for me to get flares welded on my green car and go 5 lug. I'll have to see if its the front end with the smoshed in nose. it probably is.

I remember all the cutting and sectioning needed to get one of those bumpers fitted correctly to Mikes car. A ton of sectioning was required.

Zach
JamesM
Not sure if they are still producing them, but i got my front from QRS

http://www.qrsfiberglass.com/shop/porsche-...er-with-valance

Came gel coated and minimal fitment issues though as stated, not a dead match for factory.

Got the rear from AA that came unfinished and required pretty extensive modification to fit.

I liked them when i was a teenager but im sort of over them now, plan on replacing them with GT bumpers.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 20 2020, 06:59 PM) *

Here's a sneak peek

w00t.gif stones.gif shocked[1].gif
gms
here is the set that come on my car, someone fit them pretty well

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SO.O.C914er
Those do fit nice often the fiberglass bumpers don’t. My front one didn’t. sad.gif What a awesome looking red 914.....Drive on Paul driving.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I sure would not install 916 bumpers They are of course fiberglass so you lose any crash protection you would have had and ALL 916 bumpers need work to fit. Getting your bumper rechromed is not that expensive, and all of the accessory parts are available new and fit well (guards, top seal, grilles)
Rand
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 20 2020, 05:16 PM) *

I'm not sure which one is on my car its been on for more than 10 years.

Looks alright to me. The top was definitely trimmed to be able to close the hood without it hitting.
Click to view attachment

That photo perfectly illustrates Andyrew's point. You can really see the difference in angle and width of the top edge in the middle.
wndsrfr
Here's mine...Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 23 2020, 05:58 AM) *

Nother picClick to view attachment
wndsrfr
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 23 2020, 05:59 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 23 2020, 05:58 AM) *

Nother picClick to view attachment

Rear ...Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 23 2020, 10:01 AM) *

I absolutely hate rear spoilers on teeners & I must, must say that is the nicest, most beautiful, factory design looking, smoothly integrated rear spoiler I have ever seen thumb3d.gif

Here's an older shot of my six that really shows how poor the current 916 aftermarket molds are sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.