Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaker Pod Attachments Fix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Baumgardner
Pulled my speaker pods to replace speakers that match original fit. Unfortunately, after I pulled the pods, I've found that some of the brass inserts won't hold without turning as one attaches the speaker bolts.

Click to view attachment

Any ideas on how to repair or is this pretty hopeless? Each pod has 1 or 2 inserts that don't turn, but it would be a little irritating to not have a solid attachment. I'm debating on whether to just let the speaker attach loosely or buy one of the Uro replacement pods (I'm sure not looking for a used one because I suspect that isn't an unusual problem given how old these are).

Thanks ...
lierofox
If it were me, I'd probably stick the tip of a soldering iron against the brass and let it warm and remelt the plastic around it.
scallyk9
I had one doing this. Using a bolt, I pulled it out, cleaned the hole, and glued it in. Still holding years later. I have a couple spare brass inserts from old speaker pods.
Baumgardner
QUOTE(lierofox @ Aug 21 2020, 04:43 PM) *

If it were me, I'd probably stick the tip of a soldering iron against the brass and let it warm and remelt the plastic around it.

Brilliant!! My woodburning kit came in handy! As long as I carefully kept the tip on the brass, this worked wonderfully. About 30-60 seconds with the tip on the brass and they are solid as a rock (being careful not to touch the plastic which melts immediately).

Thanks for the great tip!

And thanks to the poster suggesting glue in which would have been my next shot.

Click to view attachment
lierofox
That's often how I insert brass inserts into plastic, and figured that heating it in situ would work fairly well too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.