Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looks so bad with color keyed bumpers!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
painting the 75 76 bumpers the same color of the car would make ANYONE hate them.

https://vmp.ebay.com/ebay/viewAllPhotos.aspx?smid=33569141
saigon71
I'm so with you on this George.
914e
The terrible fit is much worse than the monochome look.
second wind
That is what makes a horse race....it took a minute or two but I find that car intriguing....really a new look for an old car. Car is still stock but looks much younger....a modern look. Just my two cents.
gg
brcacti
I must be one of the FEW who like it
914e
For 21k they could at least clean it and do a safety inspection. The car is leaking brake fluid.
sixnotfour
To bad they didn't spend more time on the front right inner fender...
JamesM
QUOTE(914e @ Aug 22 2020, 11:19 AM) *

The terrible fit is much worse than the monochome look.

Im with you there. Its not the color that is getting to me (i actually think that cleans it up a bit) its the fact that it looks like some poorly installed body kit.
Arno914
Loads of pics, but NO HELLHOLE PICS. Somethings smells here... confused24.gif
The ugly bumpers will not be the real problem on this car. Pimped up for sale. Just my opinion.
mlindner
+1 914e, that car is a mess.
bbrock
QUOTE(brcacti @ Aug 22 2020, 01:26 PM) *

I must be one of the FEW who like it

Add me to the list. I like it. I don't think it would work for non-metallic colors though. I've never understood why people hate the big bumpers so much and this painted look takes 10 years off the car. Agree about the fit though. Thought it was camera angle at first, but I don't think so.
Beach914
Not a fan of the big bumpers but it looks better than I thought it would. I agree if the fit and finish were better it would improve my opinion.
brcacti
So just wondering are these factory bumpers or aftermarket add ons?
Also I do like the look but still would rather have black bumpers, if someone bumps you or you bump someone that bumper paint will be goofed up. On the black rubber bumpers
if you get dinged on it just wipe it with something. Dinged on a painted like car bumpers would show up more.
Steve
agree.gif
Painting them makes them even look more tacked on
Cairo94507
That poor car needs some love for sure. Lipstick is how I would classify the paint on the bumpers. It sort of distracts you from the rest of the issues. Is it just me or do I see bubbles under the paint on the driver's door handle recess? That one wheel cylinder is leaking a lot. And though there are a lot of pictures (good) they are all mostly poorly taken photos that don't really show a lot of detail. The hell hole and the rockers really need to be inspected. But hopefully an informed buyer will do a thorough PPI so there are no surprises.
Olympic 914
I've seen worse looking cars. it's ok with me.
porschetub
I don't like it on a car with BUBs,looks ok on the earlier small bumper cars IMO,yep that car is a bit off for that money,lots of issues,poorly presented besides.
Garland
Looks like a 914 wearing a mask! ninja.gif
Front yard mechanic
Would it look better if the car was all black?
IronHillRestorations
IMHO they don't look any better or worse than 916 bumpers
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 22 2020, 11:49 PM) *

Would it look better if the car was all black?

Ansbacher
I like the look of the front bumper; not so much the back. Guess you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. 75-76 models are no-go in my book anyway.
Ansbacher
Mikey914
They aren’t that bad as far as looks. The problem is that they just painted the rubber. The rubber flexes the paint doesn’t. Even a light bump and you crack paint and it looks like crap!
Clearly an attempt to not replace the BUBs and flip a car. What else is lurking when you can see a bad fix on the surface?
I don’t know the car so maybe the reset is perfect, but I’d check it closely for fiberglass.
bbrock
Depends on the paint of course. There are paints and additives formulated for flexible bumpers found on many modern vehicles.

To Perry's point, I agree. I don't see this being any better or worse than 916 bumpers.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 23 2020, 03:09 PM) *

Clearly an attempt to not replace the BUBs

laugh.gif BUB's- there's a term George needed for the new 914 book
VaccaRabite
Fiberglass bumpers for sure. I think AIR was making them.

I wonder if they still have the shocks or if they have just been bolted in for weight reduction (like I did with mine).

Zach
dwillouby
Agree car needs work, But the painted bumpers could be ok.

David
windforfun
I agree with George. Besides, the paint won't hold up.
davep
From the sales blurb: "In 1975 and 1976, the chrome or painted bumpers were replaced with heavy, rubber-covered units which actually made the cars more stable at high speeds."
I never heard that about stability. The clutch pedal is atrocious. The tank panel carpet was replaced, and no hole for the manufacturer tag, and cannot make out the bump for the fuel pump. Other than that, I am not impressed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.