Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car won't shut down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moneysmarts
My battery has been losing charge for about the past week.
Today, when I tried to turn off the engine with the ignition key, it just kept on running. I was able to find a spot somwhere between off and start that killed the engine? I though I remember seeing a post about this problem but my search came up empty. Any ideas?
Thanks huh.gif
Dave_Darling
Sounds like a dying ignition switch to me...

--DD
DNHunt
I don't know about the battery losing charge issue but, I had a run on thing. Evil Ed clued me onto the solution.

It turns out that the alternator feeds current to the alternator warning light which then runs to fuse 9. The alternator was putting out enough current to backfeed the relay coil for the ignition and FI thru fuse 9. This kept the relay closed and 12 volt from the battery supplied power to the fuel pump, feul injection and coil. So it just ran as happy as could be with the key in the off position. I measured 3-4 volts going to the main relay from the alt, alt light, s9 path.

Try this, start it and turn it off so it's running on it's own. Hit the brakes. If it kills you know the path I mentioned is the culprit. Here's why. The brake lights provide enough load so the voltage falls and the relay opens.

Ed had me put a diode (only lets current flow one direction) on the alternator lamp. Interestingly, it has to be right there so there must be some collateral path. Anyway the diode fixed the problem.

Dave
moneysmarts
Dave:
I pulled the switch appart.
Cracked.
Just ordered one from Pelican.
Thanks
scotty914
at least that way you wont have a hot start problem... no need to start
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.