Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Piston ring too thick? Hastings.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey fellas,

Per some advice on here I bought Hastings rings for my AA pistons. Purchased them from LN Engineering. (They are labeled FORD/MERC 96, but I assume the ID is all that matters)

I took off the old rings (of course I broke one - first time)
Begun installing the new rings.... They are .019 thicker than the originals and will not even begin to seat.

Anyone ran into this before? I checked here and the samba and could not find a single thread about this.

Honestly the AA rings look like nicer quality, with features and beveling, instead of just a big chunk. But what do I know.

IPB Image

IPB Image

You can kind of see the height difference here.\

AA Rings: .060
Hastings: .078
Slot: .065

IPB Image

1 step forward, 2 steps back, everytime. smash.gif
mepstein
Call LN. They will advise properly.
jaredmcginness
Well looking at the box they are 2mmx2mmx4.75.

2mm = .079
1.75mm = .065

Apparently these are the sizes specifically used for the Keith Black pistons, not other brands. I should have done a bit more research I suppose. Wasn’t stated on the site, but can read in the product photo.

I figured a 96mm Hastings ring from a Type 4 specific retailer was a straight shot.

First rodeo.
porschetub
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Aug 25 2020, 12:36 PM) *

Well looking at the box they are 2mmx2mmx4.75.

2mm = .079
1.75mm = .065

Apparently these are the sizes specifically used for the Keith Black pistons, not other brands. I should have done a bit more research I suppose. Wasn’t stated on the site, but can read in the product photo.

I figured a 96mm Hastings ring from a Type 4 specific retailer was a straight shot.

First rodeo.

I have 96mm AA pistons and Hasting don't make a set of rings for this piston,as far as I could find,EMW have NPR brand with should fit an AA piston.
However my pistons and barrels are in good condition but old design (?) so there could be other options now ?.
Many say the AA rings aren't very good so great move to fit something better,cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.