Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 Dragon 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ed Evans
This is the beginning of a rest-o-mod of a 1974 914-4.

I acquired it as a roller a couple years ago and have been slowly stripping it down as time, funds, and energy allow. I've been posting random questions here on 914 world and figured it was a good time to put down roots.

Overall I'm looking to turn it into a reliable cruiser.

Fun fact: The rear of the car has "Dragon" painted on it. Kind of funny since an engine fire took the car out of commission for some previous owner.
Tdskip
welcome.png

And we need pictures! (Please)
Frankvw
Good luck with the build of 'Dragon',
I guess it is a green 914 or is that too easy and there is more to the nickname Dragon ?
(maybe the previous owner was called Joris and carried a sword...who knows...)
We look forward to the pics of the work in progress..
Cairo94507
welcome.png That sounds like a fun project. Keep us up to date with pictures please. beerchug.gif
Ed Evans
Pictures!

I'm starting to run out of stuff to remove.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Ed Evans
I have access to a Buick 3300 3.3L V6.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine#3300_(LG7)

Kennedy Engineering says they have an adapter that will work with 914 transaxle.

Has anyone done this swap, or with the similarly sized 3.8 series 1 engine?
JRust
QUOTE(Ed Evans @ Aug 27 2020, 07:57 PM) *

Kennedy Engineering says they have an adapter that will work with 914 transaxle.

There are tons of swap options. I wouldn't bother with most. I had an early buick 215 all aluminum v8 converison. Was always struggling with something & wasn't all that powerful. Moved onto subaru swaps & I just don't think there is a better bang for your buck than a good subaru conversion. More conversion parts out there for them.

I'll be coming through Idaho labor day weekend. Heading up to Rexburg to visit family. Flat towing my 914 out as I am heading to Colorado for Red rocks the following weekend. Planning to meet up with another guy around Boise on my way back home. I think that will be around the 13th. Where in Idaho are you? Be happy to meet up & show you my subaru WRX conversion
Ed Evans
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 27 2020, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Ed Evans @ Aug 27 2020, 07:57 PM) *

There are tons of swap options. I wouldn't bother with most. I had an early buick 215 all aluminum v8 converison. Was always struggling with something & wasn't all that powerful. Moved onto subaru swaps & I just don't think there is a better bang for your buck than a good subaru conversion. More conversion parts out there for them.

I'll be coming through Idaho labor day weekend. Heading up to Rexburg to visit family. Flat towing my 914 out as I am heading to Colorado for Red rocks the following weekend. Planning to meet up with another guy around Boise on my way back home. I think that will be around the 13th. Where in Idaho are you? Be happy to meet up & show you my subaru WRX conversion

That'd be pretty cool to see a completed project in person. I'm real far north of Rexburg though, nearer the panhandle skinny bit of the state.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Ed Evans @ Aug 25 2020, 08:46 PM) *

Pictures!

I'm starting to run out of stuff to remove.

Click to view attachment

Ha! I see plenty of stuff to remove. You just have to lose control of yourself, and before you know it, you will have a bare body shell, and lots of boxes of parts.
Tdskip
There is something to be said for going down to build path that is well documented and has suppliers that can help.
Ed Evans
I decided to get into some scary bits today.

This is the passenger side jack post with the lower half of the pyramid cut away.

Can someone point me to a thread with ideas for next steps?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Put this into Google

914world.com Jack point repair hell hole

Look at images

Then pick a thread
IronHillRestorations
That's not scary, that's not too bad. Scary is when you hit it with the sawzall and the whole thing rattles off
VaccaRabite
Yeah that looks really good actually.
Rot does not look to have gotten into the longitudinal. Wire wheel, seal and move on!

It will be easer for you in the long run to drill out the spot welds around the rest of the jack post support and just weld on a new one from Restoration Design. Just be careful not to drill all the way through into the long!
Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.