Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedometer apart
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vertigo
Thanks for advice on getting speedo out. I have removed cover and am looking at drive/worm gears at this moment. I used a cordless drill to operate speedometer up to about 45 m.p.h. and watched gears working, and I'll be darned if it all works again. While I have it apart is there anything I should look at? I see the drive and worm gears are plastic and in good shape {they will get grease). The gear on the odo shaft is metal. Do I need to go further in dismanteling?, or stop where I am and put back into car? Any help is appreciated as I am into new territory concerning speedo repair.
Mueller
the drive unit on the transmission is more likely the culprit....
Dave_Darling
Remember, the pot-metal gear is supposed to turn with its shaft, not turn on its shaft.

And like Mueller said--did you make sure the odo really was the problem?

--DD
vertigo
Odometer seems to be the problem. I ran the unit out of car again and while speed is good odo does not register. All seems to be turning, I marked the shaft on the odo drive gear and all seems to work corect, but mileage not registering. Could there be a problem in the tumblers? The unit works in the morning when first driven, but does not in afternoon. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If gear is turning on shaft how would I stop that?
bd1308
score the hell out of that shaft.....with a pair of needle-nose pliers.....and then put some epoxy on that sucker....
bperry
Yep its pretty much that simple. I didn't use any epoxy. I just
used a pair of wire cutters and GENTLY bit into the shaft to score
it and then re-installed the gear. Never had any more problems.

One word of caution. Be careful when handling the actual speedometer.
My needle hit the stop and chipped off the tip of the red paint.
I didn't notice this until AFTER I re-assembled it and crimped the trim
ring. DARN..... I had to open it again and re-paint the needle.
THEN, if that wasn't enough, months later, the enamel paint heated up
and stuck to the post and then I had an odometer but no speedometer.
I had to open it up AGAIN, and free the needle.

--- bill
Joe Ricard
No NO NOOOOOO

Look at the Pelican Parts article for fixing the Odometer.
This really works and does it right. If you try epoxy it will only hold for a little while. IDONNO about pliers in the shaft maybe.....

bd1308
joe i got a truck.....i'm closer to coming....

ROAD TRIP

:hijack: over
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.