Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 300 HP on Aisle 5?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Saw this on evil bay and wondering the dimensions.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-17-18-19-Pors...7Cclp%3A2334524

Anybody look at this? Too wide? Too tall?
EdwardBlume
Info and picts
EdwardBlume
More
EdwardBlume
Engine mounts on both sides seem to extend a good amount....
Andyrew
Looks wide and tall.

IMHO this only makes sense paired to a PDK and a computer that can handle it. 300hp is child's play for just about any other motor.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 30 2020, 06:03 AM) *

Looks wide and tall.

IMHO this only makes sense paired to a PDK and a computer that can handle it. 300hp is child's play for just about any other motor.

Is this motor a relative of the Audi T4?
Andyrew
Audi doesn't sell a flat 4 motor. So I'd say no.
EdwardBlume
It must have a big flywheel then...
thelogo

Looks wide and tall.

Sorry but pdk = screwy.gif

Think sequentially not doppperlunkwhatthefuc

Or get some class with a spotmatic or triptronic .lol
tygaboy
QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 30 2020, 07:19 AM) *

Looks wide and tall.

I'm all for "to each, his own", but have you driven a PDK car in Sport Plus mode? They are pretty fantastic, in terms of outright shifting performance and always, almost magically, being in the perfect gear at all times.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 30 2020, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 30 2020, 07:19 AM) *

Looks wide and tall.

I'm all for "to each, his own", but have you driven a PDK car in Sport Plus mode? They are pretty fantastic, in terms of outright shifting performance and always, almost magically, being in the perfect gear at all times.

Ya hurt chur what?

I just saw 300HP Porsche and $4500 with 12K miles, and thought terrible things. Bring in PDK and the daydream goes poof.

Jake Raby
The act of physically "fitting" this engine into a 914 is just one part of this challenge. There's no demand for these engines, hence the price tag.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2020, 07:54 AM) *

The act of physically "fitting" this engine into a 914 is just one part of this challenge. There's no demand for these engines, hence the price tag.

Your input means a lot.

Of course there's no demand until an engine blows, or someone uses one for something else. It just looks interesting.

Also, in a 914, the turbo would be right behind your seat.
Mark Henry
Bell housing looks the same pattern as a 996 and it looks just as wide as a 996 engine so likely too wide.
But they do sound like a T4 biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Aug 30 2020, 07:06 AM) *

Your input means a lot.

Of course there's no demand until an engine blows, or someone uses one for something else. It just looks interesting.

My comment about “no demand” comes from the conversions that people are doing to 718s to remove these engines, and fit a six. The main reason why this is being done is because the dislike of the “sound” from these engines.

They have proven to be more reliable and less failure prone than their six cylinder peers of the same era based on our experience.
Mueller
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Aug 30 2020, 08:06 AM) *

Your input means a lot.

Throw (or sell) the turbo away... make it a lightweight Porsche 4cyl N/A build...hmmm a 4 banger version of the GT3 engine?
Johny Blackstain
Be tempting to build a 550 replica around it idea.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2020, 08:50 AM) *

Your input means a lot.

My comment about “no demand” comes from the conversions that people are doing to 718s to remove these engines, and fit a six. The main reason why this is being done is because the dislike of the “sound” from these engines.

They have proven to be more reliable and less failure prone than their six cylinder peers of the same era based on our experience.

Why dont early boxster engines get used . 98,99
Ive heard they have excellent reliability when really driven hard idea.gif chair.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 30 2020, 01:38 PM) *

Your input means a lot.

Ive heard they have excellent reliability when really driven hard idea.gif chair.gif

97 and 98 are the best that were built from the whole engine family.
Cairo94507
I have to agree with @tygaboy Chris re the PDK, DSG, Dual clutch transmissions in the newer cars. I have the DSG in my S3 and that thing shifts better then you could ever hope for. Always in the right gear for the situation. My brother's 997.2 C4S coupe had the PDK and that car was a blast to drive too.

I think 300 HP with a dual clutch transmission in a 914 would be a bitchin ride. beerchug.gif
Front yard mechanic
I say it will fit buy it and try Click to view attachment
Rob-O
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2020, 01:57 PM) *

Your input means a lot.

Regardless of the yay or nays of this argument, it’s nice to see ^ this fella posting here again.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 30 2020, 03:20 PM) *

I have to agree with @tygaboy Chris re the PDK, DSG, Dual clutch transmissions in the newer cars. I have the DSG in my S3 and that thing shifts better then you could ever hope for. Always in the right gear for the situation. My brother's 997.2 C4S coupe had the PDK and that car was a blast to drive too.

I think 300 HP with a dual clutch transmission in a 914 would be a bitchin ride. beerchug.gif

agree.gif

It takes me longer to shift in lower gears than run through the gear.... but I have clutch issues dry.gif

If ya want to hear what turbo noises sound like in a 914, I’d gladly give anyone a ride. smile.gif

It’s pretty loud, there are are quite a lot of distinct and different sounds that come from it
mgp4591
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 30 2020, 10:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 30 2020, 03:20 PM) *

agree.gif

It takes me longer to shift in lower gears than run through the gear.... but I have clutch issues dry.gif

If ya want to hear what turbo noises sound like in a 914, I’d gladly give anyone a ride. smile.gif

It’s pretty loud, there are are quite a lot of distinct and different sounds that come from it

But isn't there something romantic about rowing the gears in a lightweight little car? I thought that's what part of the point was. Power is what it is but keeping manual control is not only nostalgic, it's history. No matter whether it's an anemic 1.7 or Andyrew's turbo sounding like a room full of asthmatic adults with Covid, wheezing and farting back and forth, manually shifting is at the very soul of these cars. IMHO,,, driving.gif
mbseto
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 31 2020, 02:40 AM) *

manually shifting is at the very soul of these cars. IMHO,,, driving.gif

Preach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 31 2020, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 31 2020, 02:40 AM) *

manually shifting is at the very soul of these cars. IMHO,,, driving.gif

Preach

I have an estimated 430hp, and I could have put a dual clutch PDK into my car when I built it.

If I was racing, and wanted the last little bit of performance I could squeeze out of it, then I would put in the dual clutch PDK. It shifts faster, and has greater performance than a 6 speed manual.

It is also boring.

I am not racing, I built the car because I like to shift gears. I feel more connected to the car when I can choose my own gears. So I put in the manual.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Im not saying a clutch/stick isnt fun. BUT it when your looking for the next performance gain, its hard not to overlook the biggest drawback you have, and thats shifting.

All I am saying is that for those of us that are wanting to stretch the envelope on these little cars, that is one of the things that has been on the table as something that could really take the limits of these cars to the next level.

I put it hand in hand with AWD.. I want to take a tube chassis car and throw a DSG AWD mid engine setup in it... And I have a decent idea of how to accomplish it and still fit a stockish looking 914 shell on top.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 31 2020, 02:02 PM) *

Im not saying a clutch/stick isnt fun. BUT it when your looking for the next performance gain, its hard not to overlook the biggest drawback you have, and thats shifting.

All I am saying is that for those of us that are wanting to stretch the envelope on these little cars, that is one of the things that has been on the table as something that could really take the limits of these cars to the next level.

I put it hand in hand with AWD.. I want to take a tube chassis car and throw a DSG AWD mid engine setup in it... And I have a decent idea of how to accomplish it and still fit a stockish looking 914 shell on top.

@Andyrew - Tell me about your plans... I have a Cayman PDK and the associated control unit, shifter and cable. And that 993 rear suspension. With my car about to be road worthy, I'll be looking for a new project soon!
horizontally-opposed
Horses for courses, but I'd never choose a manual gearbox for a track car. On track, PDK is just a better solution imo—though its performance advantage is, I believe, somewhat overrated. It weighs more (and not a little more…) and its launch management advantages and 0-whatever advantages are lessened once you're in motion. There are some interesting videos about this out there.

On the street, however…the more time I have spent in cars with PDK, the more I like manuals and clutch pedals. PDK deletes 40% of a driver's primary inputs, and one of the most enjoyable aspects for me. You don't have to be driving hard to enjoy executing up and downshifts well. YMMV, which is why there are choices. And that's a good thing.

But, if I was clean-sheeting a 914, I would take a hard look at a Subaru STi 2.5 or Porsche's current 718 turbo fours—backing either of them up with a modern six-speed manual. For me, it would come down to price, weight, and gearing (not necessarily in that order).
EdwardBlume
All good points.

Ever drive a 996 c4 with the 3.6? I did with a Tip, and God as my witness, it was sublime. Also a cab, so the body was stiff. The point? If I could blank sheet a 914, it would be wide, AWD, 300hp, light, and balanced.

And have a toilet paper roll for your way out...
ClayPerrine
If I could blank sheet a 914, and had the cash, I would go to the Porsche special wish department and have them flare the chassis, and fit a Taycan electric drive train underneath.

Make the car look stock on the outside, other than 18 inch Fuchs. Put all the electronic controls and displays from the Taycan in it. A nice digital display in the factory gauge pod, and just for fun, harnesses for AX and track days.

All electric, all wheel drive 914... biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
The problem with an EV as a 914 is I find the platform concepts at odds.

EV = heavy if it has any kind of range; I don't see a way around it? confused24.gif
914 = 1600-2300 pounds depending on how you build it (1800-1950lb would be my goal for a fun/fast street car as a scratch build)

718 Boxster/Cayman engine also has a huge advantage over earlier engines re: weight per pony. They really have been sweating the pounds out since the 986/996 era began. While I love my air-cooled six conversion, a 718 or STi flat four is hard to beat in terms of weight for power.
thelogo
I could be wrong but something tells me lotus aint making all electric . cause its juat to damn heavy ?

I personally don't care how fast a tesla is if it weighs more then f450 dually truck or a h1 or h2 hummer .wtf tesla

Fast isnt the same as sporty . unless youre a tesla carsalesmen
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 31 2020, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 31 2020, 02:02 PM) *

@Andyrew - Tell me about your plans... I have a Cayman PDK and the associated control unit, shifter and cable. And that 993 rear suspension. With my car about to be road worthy, I'll be looking for a new project soon!

Well since I have a pretty low likely hood of ever doing it....

For a cheap dsg I would go VW dsg and pair it either with a vr6 or 2.0t.
Then turn it 90deg to run it front to rear.

Add some underdrive boxes to the front and rear and then a differential at the wheels in the front and rear (flipping one upside down).

If I didn't want dsg I would do another FWD setup.

Fairly simple setup. All standard parts plus fabrication and a bit of machining.

There I said it... tube chassis car would be required at this point. But the engine would be able to stay in the engine bay.
buck toenges
How tough is it to put that engine into a 1st gen boxster?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Sep 1 2020, 09:19 PM) *

How tough is it to put that engine into a 1st gen boxster?

It would fit, 2.5 boxster /6 is the same size as a 3.8 997.1 engine.
echocanyons
Looks like a good candidate for conversion into my WRX biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Sep 1 2020, 10:01 PM) *

Looks like a good candidate for conversion into my WRX biggrin.gif

More likely the WRX motor would be a good conversion for your 718. beerchug.gif

I think its funny that the Porsche people don't like the "boxer rumble." The same sound probably sold more WRXs over 20 years then anything else.

Zach
EdwardBlume
Does the Boxster and 996 motors have the same side mount flanges on each side? This is what makes me curious about it fitting in a 914.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Aug 30 2020, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2020, 01:57 PM) *

Your input means a lot.

Regardless of the yay or nays of this argument, it’s nice to see ^ this fella posting here again.

Thanks. Things have changed a lot over the years for the 914, and what we build. I still appreciate my roots, and nothing parallels my passion for these old aircooled engines.

This week I am finishing a 2 liter, 356 based engine for Miles Collier/ Revs Institute. It has been a fun one. Next week I start a 2,563cc T4 for a 912E :-)
Rand
QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 31 2020, 07:27 PM) *

I could be wrong but something tells me lotus aint making all electric . cause its juat to damn heavy ?

I personally don't care how fast a tesla is if it weighs more then f450 dually truck or a h1 or h2 hummer .wtf tesla

Guess what? You are wrong again.

Read this: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lotus/352492/...electric-future
Or Google lotus electric for yourself.
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=lotus+electric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59QX1GHiKI

thelogo
[quote name='Rand' date='Sep 8 2020, 12:09 PM' post='2849483']
[quote name='thelogo' post='2847557' date='Aug 31 2020, 07:27 PM']

[/quote]

Guess what? You are wrong again.

Read this: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lotus/352492/...electric-future
Or Google lotus electric for yourself.
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=lotus+electric

[/quo screwy.gif te]

Not alot of these running round the road .i dont think
And im from Georgia...."where the men are men
And the sheep are nervous "
Rand
.i dnont think
Porschef
blink.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 8 2020, 01:10 PM) *

.i dnont think

Glad you can relate... I mean you are from OR av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
EdwardBlume
I reached out to AZ to see if they’d measure it.... nope.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.