Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need cylinders bored and head work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfinegan
Looking for a machine shop on the east cost for cylinder bores and head work. Any recomendations? Does Raby do machine work still? boreing and balanacing?
I am just starting the build up proces of a 2056 fom my 1.7>.2.0.>2056
I have 3 sets of head in various states:

Low mile 1.7 heads when engine was converted to 2.0 new guides good rockers
75 1.8 heads..sure it needs valves and seates but did not fail when removed from care
76 2.0 heads...curently in service

Kerry hunter headers with Tangerine muffler and SSI heat exhangers with bursch sytem

I have the Type 4 store cam set (9530) and cam /rods and main bearing sets on the way

need cylinders for KB 96 pistons next bore or buy?CORES?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Aug 30 2020, 12:56 PM) *

Looking for a machine shop on the east cost for cylinder bores and head work. Any recomendations? Does Raby do machine work still? boreing and balanacing?

75 1.8 heads..sure it needs valves and seates but did not fail when removed from care

Kerry hunter headers with Tangerine muffler and SSI heat exhangers with bursch sytem

I have the Type 4 store cam set (9530) and cam /rods and main bearing sets on the way

No, we haven't done machine work/ balance work for others since 2012, when I sold the Type 4 Store to LN Engineering. I've only been building engines since then, when I made life a lot simpler.
rfinegan
Thanks Jake,

Glad your here on the forum and sharing you knowledge..

Best Regards

-Robert

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2020, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Aug 30 2020, 12:56 PM) *

No, we haven't done machine work/ balance work for others since 2012, when I sold the Type 4 Store to LN Engineering. I've only been building engines since then, when I made life a lot simpler.
Jake Raby
Everyone that I knew in the NC area that did machine work has retired, or passed away. Whitey Worsham closed his place a couple of years ago (German Automotive in Fletcher)
There's a guy in Virginia who is borderline retirement age, I can't remember the name of his shop. I'll see if I can think of it afterwhile.
porschetub
Sent the whole lot to EMW ,they have heaps of parts and a full machining service,you will have to suck up the shipping but that's the price of sending to the "right guys",good luck.
dlee6204
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 30 2020, 07:32 PM) *

Sent the whole lot to EMW ,they have heaps of parts and a full machining service,you will have to suck up the shipping but that's the price of sending to the "right guys",good luck.

agree.gif

I ship my stuff to European Motorworks too. Their prices are reasonable too so a little more for shipping is not a big deal.
iankarr
agree.gif
Another vote for Jorge at EMW...
rfinegan
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2020, 03:07 PM) *

Everyone that I knew in the NC area that did machine work has retired, or passed away. Whitey Worsham closed his place a couple of years ago (German Automotive in Fletcher)
There's a guy in Virginia who is borderline retirement age, I can't remember the name of his shop. I'll see if I can think of it afterwhile.

Small world, German Automotive did the upgrade from the 1.7 to 2.0 on this engine in 2001... i got the engine in MD 5years ago with the paper work...going to 2056 this time around

Thanks for sharing...

-Robert
Jake Raby
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Aug 30 2020, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2020, 03:07 PM) *

Small world, German Automotive did the upgrade from the 1.7 to 2.0 on this engine in 2001... i got the engine in MD 5years ago with the paper work...going to 2056 this time around

Thanks for sharing...

-Robert

I've known Whitey for 30+ years.. He has a bad ass T4 powered VW Thing.
Al Meredith
We just sent a set of 94MM cylinder to Gabriel's Engines in Winterville, Ga . They have been doing this for years and have the set-up for 96 MM . You can try Ham Heads (Len Hoffman) in Watkinsville , Ga . He has been doing performance heads for at least the 20 years I've known him . He doesn't take in 914 heads anymore , but you can try. I think the reason is the Chinese Heads are less than his labor. He will do work on the Chinese Heads I think. You would have to ask . Check his website .
72hardtop
HeadFlowMasters in Vista, Ca. (Adrian)

or

Len Hoffman (Hoffman Automotive)
Robarabian
European motor works in Hawthorne CA. They do by mail.. Just had a bunch of work done, all seems to be very good so far.
Robarabian
duplicate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.