Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weltmeister Coil Springs for Shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swiesner
I am trying to find out any info on Weltmeister Coil Springs. I can't find one thing about them anywhere on the internet. I have a very nice set of Weltmeister Springs that came off the rear of a 914 I now own but they were way too stiff, like some kind of racing spring, so I have taken them off the car. The springs say Weltmeister 25/95 SP100. They look almost new but had to be put on the car back the 70's or 80's because the car didn't get driven hardly at all after mid 80's. These springs are painted glossy black(factory paint) still shiny, no rust and easy to read the Welmeister name and numbers that were painted on at the factory when they were made. The springs are already on a nice set of KYB Gas-a-just KG9003 PD25K shocks that are also in very nice condition. Anybody have any experience/history with Weltmeister springs? What the numbers on the springs mean? What kind of value they might have? I'm thinking of putting the shocks and springs on ebay and just looking for some honest info/valuation if anyone knows. Thanks!!
Mark Henry
Those are only 100 lb springs, it's the KYB shocks that Kill Your Back.
No such thing as "nice" KYB's they suck donkey balls. Only nice place for them is on the scrap heap.
Get a set of Bilstein sport shocks and drill and zip-tie the top and bottom perches, your back will thank you.
infraredcalvin
https://www.paragon-products.com/Lowering-S...914_springs.htm

What you have is a 100# replacement street springs. These are pretty typical spring rates for a slightly stiffer ride. I'm surprised you think they are too stiff. The KYBs on the other hand have a reputation for being junk, lovingly referred to as Kill Your Back shocks. I've been lucky enough never to have owned any KYBs, so I'm only referencing what I've read.
maf914
I have Weltmeister 100 lb springs on my car, with Koni red shocks. I found the ride to be very similar to the original stock springs, just a little bit firmer.
mepstein
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 1 2020, 10:08 AM) *

https://www.paragon-products.com/Lowering-S...914_springs.htm

What you have is a 100# replacement street springs. These are pretty typical spring rates for a slightly stiffer ride. I'm surprised you think they are too stiff. The KYBs on the other hand have a reputation for being junk, lovingly referred to as Kill Your Back shocks. I've been lucky enough never to have owned any KYBs, so I'm only referencing what I've read.

I had them(KYB). They do suck. Either use some Bil's or find a nice set of used Boge's. They are what came on most oem and probably have the smoothest ride. AA is advertising a reproduction Boge that's sold new but I don't know if it's out to market yet.
What I do know is getting rid of the KYB's with transform your car for the better. Also, a lot of what we tend to attribute to the rear shocks is from the front. Make sure they are decent as well. Our cars are light and can often run lower tire pressures than current cars. Most 914's have wider than stock tires, so it's fine to play around a bit to see what works for you.

Used KYB's don't generally have any value for resale other than to hold a roller up off the ground.
JamesM
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 1 2020, 06:04 AM) *

Those are only 100 lb springs, it's the KYB shocks that Kill Your Back.
No such thing as "nice" KYB's they suck donkey balls. Only nice place for them is on the scrap heap.
Get a set of Bilstein sport shocks and drill and zip-tie the top and bottom perches, your back will thank you.

agree.gif that ^^^^

180lbs springs on Bilstiens is still a softer ride than 100lbs on KYBs. KYBs (the white ones at least) are pretty much the equivalent of replacing your shocks with a 2x4 plank, or maybe a solid steel rod. They provide an attachment point for the control arm, but that is about all they do.
Tbrown4x4
Totally agree ^^^

My parts car had 140lb Weltmeister springs on KYBs. I figured I would just swap them into my DD until I could get the Koni's rebuilt. Rode like a covered wagon! I put the 140lb springs on some new Koni adjustable shocks set 1 or 2 clicks off full soft and I think it rides great. (100 miles a day on Seattle freeways and crappy streets!)

Ditch the KYBs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.