Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grrrrr - bent flywheel dowl pin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I didn’t notice until I went to install the clutch kit today but one of my dowel pins on the fly wheel is bent. I don’t know if it was been in the machine shop didn’t catch it or if the machine shop installed improperly but I’m at a standstill until I get this addressed.

I’ve never had to take these out before, should I just pull out with a strong / well attached vice grips?

I also wanted to check if there’s different size dowel pins, or if the machine shop installed the wrong ones, because they don’t seem to wanna fit even on the unbent ones which is weird because I’m using the same clutch set up including the identical pressure plate that I took off it

Mark Henry
Vice grips, should come out easy.
It's a split pin, it's just used as a locator. You might be able to straighten it.
FYI the new flywheels don't even have this drilled.
Tdskip
My goodness you are helpful. Thanks for getting me clued in, really didn’t want to bugger this up because I’m close to getting another long dormant car on the road and I’m hoping to avoid any self-inflicted problems.

Have a great day and thank you again for being supportive of me and the other members here as you are Mark.
Tdskip
The offending pin didn’t want to come out easily so I had to try to straighten it and then I resorted to opening up that locating hole on the pressure plate ever so slightly and it all went back together properly from there.

Thanks again.
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 1 2020, 10:14 AM) *

It's a split pin, it's just used as a locator. You might be able to straighten it.

Hmmm...I just installed a new Sebro flywheel and it had the holes for the pins confused24.gif

Ansbacher
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 2 2020, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 1 2020, 10:14 AM) *

Hmmm...I just installed a new Sebro flywheel and it had the holes for the pins confused24.gif

Ansbacher

Some do, some don't, the new german one's from the bird I bought a few years back weren't drilled.
lesorubcheek
Just received a Sebro /6 flywheel and wanted to pass along that it has dowels. Still says made in Germany for anyone who may be interested. Best price I could find was on newegg.
Click to view attachment

Realize this thread was last updated a year and a half ago, but when I was researching which flywheel made the most sense, seemed most pertinent.

Dan
Mark Henry
Just re-reading this I thought Skip was talking about the /4 single crank to fly split dowel pin, my bad.

The pressure plate dowel pins can be knocked out from the backside with a pin drift.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.