Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly off topic....Porsche 911 Carrera T
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
We are all 914 guys and mine has maybe 120 hp on a good day, '73 2.0. So my former 24 year old boss has a 2019 911 Carrera T as a rental car and he blessed me with a ride yesterday. WOW!! Porsche sure has refined the 911. This one has 379 hp and it is a rocket. Very fast and amazingly smooth...total luxury at over 100 mph. In a 914 you can feel the paint lines when you change lanes but in this 911 you don't feel anything but the G forces and your head snap back. Just had to say Porsche sure knows how to build cars. I am content with my 914 but nice to know it comes from such an awesome family of cars. I guess my point is that Porsches are awesome!! All the best,
gg
mbseto
I kind of like being able to feel the paint lines... :-)
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 1 2020, 02:42 PM) *

agree.gif That's what teeners are all about -- real road feedback without all the electronics and loss of feel that comes along for the ride in a modern car.

If you want snap your neck 0-60 acceleration, the 2019 911 is a dog in relative terms. About 4.0 seconds 0-60. Tesla Model S P100D in Ludicrous mode is 2.28 seconds from 0-60 per Motor Trend testing. 10.5 quarter mile. Nope, it can't best the 911 for top speed, and it certainly can't do those launches all day long without frying the battery.

Wait till you feel something like that accelerate though. Wrecks you for life. Instant torque off the line with no delay in power delivery waiting for the engine to rev and build power. Lacks soul even though it's wicked fast.

Not bashing on Porsche, just pointing out that it's all relative. I'm still waiting for someone to best the 2.28 mark in a production vehicle.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 1 2020, 11:42 AM) *

agree.gif

Probably more to do with my age and what I grew up driving. Old Bugs and my first 914-4 back in....1989? I think?

Nothing against the newer Porsches, just prefer older cars.
Cairo94507
I have owned 10 Porsches over the years. My choice for my toy is the 914-6. I really wanted a car that required the driver to drive the car and not just sit down and step on the pedal and steer. My wife thought i was nuts and suggested I just get a new P-car and be happy with that. No way.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 1 2020, 06:44 PM) *

I have owned 10 Porsches over the years. My choice for my toy is the 914-6. I really wanted a car that required the driver to drive the car and not just sit down and step on the pedal and steer. My wife thought i was nuts and suggested I just get a new P-car and be happy with that. No way.

smilie_pokal.gif
second wind
Ok.....there is more to the story but I was trying to keep it short. Let's start with I love my 914 and just drove to the beach and back and it was a blast. I don't like going fast so the 914 is perfect for me. Top off at 60 mph and I'm good. So my ex-boss had a Cadillac CTS V and he was only 22 at the time. 650 hp and he drove like a maniac...135 mph everywhere like a nut. So he trades it in for a Tesla Model 3 S and says The Tesla would crush the CTS V. The Tesla gets rear ended and he gets a 2019 Corvette for a rental. Not much nice to say about that car and my 914 has more interior space. So he trades that for the 911 and is now a Porsche guy but says his Tesla would destroy it. I know 379 hp isn't much in Porsche world and one of our 914 comrades has a Turbo 911 and plenty of 914's and his quote "once you have 500 hp it is hard to go back" is understandable. So I haven't been in a 911 lately and they are impressive. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Thank you.
gg
Spoke
I just visited the Porsche dealer in Sewickley PA and checked out all the new Porsches. Didn't see one of them with a clutch pedal.
Frankvw
"Tesla Model S P100D in Ludicrous mode is 2.28 seconds from 0-60 per Motor Trend testing"
My first experience in an electric car was this type of Tesla. I cannot believe this is sold to housewives (no offense to the very much appreciated housewives, but you get my point). It is a rocket. But also a killing machine if you are not used to this. I was very impressed with the acceleration, it is called Ludracis mode for a reason !
Auto-Pilot is crazy and scary (remember I am not used to this technology) so I rather have the Porsche experience over that ! Last 911 I drove I was caught speeding, but got off with a warning.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 2 2020, 03:00 AM) *

I just visited the Porsche dealer in Sewickley PA and checked out all the new Porsches. Didn't see one of them with a clutch pedal.

It's become a theft deterrent. Most people these days can't drive a stick let alone get a car started with carbs and no choke. My kid is 27 and both his cars are sticks. He says none of his friends can drive them, or know how rather.

That said, probably my favorite new-ish Porsche is the Boxster. Wife and I have had a few, they are good bang for the buck and still sound like a Porsche, mostly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.