Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fasten your Seatbelt !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Frankvw
Hi, in case I replace my seatbelts with a new set, the new kit has also receivers in it to click the belt in. Those new receivers are not wired like my 914 receivers now (1973 1.7).
I guess those wires on the current receivers are only for the 'fasten your seatbelt' light and are not involved in the no-start ?
Or am I wrong ?
Thanks for your advice !
Rob-O
They are part of the seat belt interlock system. But they’re job is just to tell the Interlock Relay that the seat belt has indeed been fastened.

Without the whole Interlock wiring and Relay they’re just seat belt receivers. They won’t stop the car from being started. Actually, You can remove the wires if you’d like. Just cut the heat shrink tubing and then unattach the wires. Then put new heat shrink tubing on.
Frankvw
@Rob-O Thanks a lot for the reply !
Rob-O
You’re welcome!
Frankvw
Guys, sorry to keep asking...but the wires from the seatbelt-receiver come together in a plug, see picture below. New receivers have no wires. So....If I disconnect the plug......this will only affect the seatbelt warning light ?
And in case the warning light comes on after install of the new seatbelts...all I have to do is connect the wires from the old receivers together so it thinks the belt is in ?
Thanks again !!!!
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I think your system is already by-passed as there's usually a mess of wires and relays under the passenger seat that I don't see.
So yes if the interlock is by-passed you just unplug the old seat belt receivers.

If not then likely there's a thread in the 'How to' in the classics forum.
JeffBowlsby
72-73 cars have a Seatbelt Warning System, with the dash light, seatbelt switches, passenger seatpad sensor only, and door buzzer. Just unplug what you dont want.

74-76 cars have a Seatbelt Interlock System. This system has seatbelt switches, both seatpad sensors and the circuit box (its not a relay) and buzzer under the passenger seat. This is the system that can be bypassed by mating the two big phat yellow wires.

PLEASE, there is no reason to cut any wires.
Frankvw
Thanks for the reply !
@mark henry: you read my mind. I was just wondering where that stuff was !!
I was already checking if my model was different for that. It looks clean so was not a hackjob.

@jeff...it is a 1973. When I remove the old belt receivers I will just unplug the plug in the pic and not cut.

You replies are very much appreciated.
Rob-O
Jeff, did you just use the word phat instead of fat??? Seems like as a group maybe we ARE moving into the 21st century!

Jeff is correct, though, don’t cut wires.

So just wanted to ask...what’s wrong with the old receivers? As many 914’s as I‘ve run across I’ve never seen any receivers that were terribly beat up on unusable. You can pull off the plastic covers and clean them. You can replace the ‘PRESS’ stickers. You can replace the heat shrink on the cable. You can even clean up the end that is plated and spray it with new. Not as good/durable as the original plating but they’ll look great.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 3 2020, 04:55 AM) *

Hi, in case I replace my seatbelts with a new set, the new kit has also receivers in it to click the belt in. Those new receivers are not wired like my 914 receivers now (1973 1.7).
I guess those wires on the current receivers are only for the 'fasten your seatbelt' light and are not involved in the no-start ?
Or am I wrong ?
Thanks for your advice !

you are right, just for the seatbelt light. The interlock system was 74 and early 75 then recalled for the dealer to connect the two yellow and yellow and red wires under the passenger seat together to bypass it
Frankvw
@rob-o there is nothing wrong with the receivers...but i am replacing the searbelts with an aftermarket 3point automatic set. And the beltbuckles are a different size and do not fit the original receivers. So they will be replaced as well with the ones from the new set. So...belts are the reason we discuss the receivers...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.