Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stealth bass speaker plats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
stealth bass speaker plate perfectly replaces the foam block in front of the passengers feet and holds an 8 inch bass speaker. Totally hidden, does not take up interior space, creates great bass response that the 914 is always lacking, and is easily made by anyone!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Do you sell the board without the speaker hole?

Mikey914
We are actually working on a complete unit that has an enclosure. The sound will be MUCH better
FRUNKenstein
I just installed a new Bluetooth head unit in my '75 last weekend. While I was in there under the dash sweating away, I removed the foam block to give me more room to work. When I was done, I decided to leave the foam block out - what really is the purpose of having it in there? I guess giving the passenger someplace to rest their feet, like a dead pedal. But, really, given the seating position in the 914, normally your legs and feet are just going straight out ahead of you anyway, so I actually like the additional space you gain from leaving the foam block out.

That being said, it would be great to have a subwoofer in the car. The head unit I placed in my car was a cheapie model. Given that it only has two small speakers in the footwell, even a high-end head unit and amp probably aren't going to give you that great of sound. But, having that space where the foam block sits would at least give you the ability to install a subwoofer and help a little.

I would definitely be a buyer for a reasonably priced, custom made subwoofer enclosure to fit this space. I would call "reasonably priced" to be $150 on the top end. I think I paid $130 for a custom subwoofer enclosure for our 944 Turbo for the right rear wheelwell back in 2011.

One other thing, even though it is covered by carpet and not meant to be seen, that foam block may be the ugliest, nastiest, most amateurish looking part I have ever seen come out of a factory. When I pulled back the carpet, my first thought was that it was a petrified animal carcass from something that had crawled up in there and died. WTF.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Sep 3 2020, 10:09 AM) *

that foam block may be the ugliest, nastiest, most amateurish looking part I have ever seen come out of a factory. When I pulled back the carpet, my first thought was that it was a petrified animal carcass from something that had crawled up in there and died. WTF.gif

Right there with you re: interest in a sub enclosure in lieu of the factory piece of foam...particularly if it doesn't remove any legroom. Hoping 914rubber comes up with a win on this one.

Re: the foam block, yes to all that, but the irony is it's strong, light, and still in service nearly 50 years—with zero maintenance or deterioration (at least in my car). I wish I could say the same for every component in my 914!
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 3 2020, 05:51 PM) *

that foam block may be the ugliest, nastiest, most amateurish looking part I have ever seen come out of a factory. When I pulled back the carpet, my first thought was that it was a petrified animal carcass from something that had crawled up in there and died. WTF.gif

Right there with you re: interest in a sub enclosure in lieu of the factory piece of foam...particularly if it doesn't remove any legroom. Hoping 914rubber comes up with a win on this one.

Re: the foam block, yes to all that, but the irony is it's strong, light, and still in service nearly 50 years—with zero maintenance or deterioration (at least in my car). I wish I could say the same for every component in my 914!

That's because you are in CA. On the east coast, it's mice food.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2020, 03:09 PM) *

Good thing a 997 GT3 RS and LX470 were first and second in line when we ran into rodent problems in a hangar I used to share with some friends. blink.gif Then again, the bill on the 997 was $26k while the Lexus was totaled. Maybe I could've done without the footrest?

I have to admit I was relieved when I popped the 914's engine lid and saw all of the fresh wiring and hoses for the six conversion still looked perfect.

Rodents ar15.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2020, 04:09 PM) *

Interesting... the foam block was about the only thing the mice DIDN'T eat or pee on in my car.
FlacaProductions
Gosh - thanks, George. It may be "easily made by anyone" but I'm 2100 miles away from my 914 and live in a condo in LA. I don't have the physical space here to have the equipment to make this but I'm certainly in the market to have one done for me and then ship it so I can install it when I am finally able to travel.

So...since you're not offering these, I'll just have to wait until "anyone" at 914Rubber makes one....thanks. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 3 2020, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2020, 04:09 PM) *

Interesting... the foam block was about the only thing the mice DIDN'T eat or pee on in my car.

I think the early ones had more sawdust. The later ones look different to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.