Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modifying 914 struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob Wolcott
Is it possible to modify the front struts on a 914 to allow for a lower ride height while not compromising the steering geometry or camber curves? If so, how is the steering arm or rack placement adjusted to prevent excessive bump streer? I am looking to lower the ride height by 1-1.5".

Thanks,
Bob
qa1142
Fox racing makes adjustable front struts drooley.gif

Not cheap like $1000+ Look in Excelence magazine.

beerchug.gif
redshift
You can raise them, at least 10mm, and I dunno how much more.

M
J P Stein
Bilstein struts can be raised with "relative ease".
How far you can go depends on what size wheels you're using.
15 inchers hold the amount to around 3/4 inch.....16s about 1/2 inch more. The steering arms can be joggled or a (IIRC) ERP bump steer kit can be used to return the arm attachment to the correct height. The bump steer kit is a pricey piece of biddness that seems less strong than the original tie rod end.
Brad Roberts
Hi Bob,

The 914 stock 4cyl struts can be raised, but it is a pretty large task for the typical home user to pull off. The bottom of the 914 4 cyl strut tapers as it passes through the cast spindle/steering knuckle. I'm pretty sure Chris Foley does them for club member at a reasonable rate. You may want to contact him. It requires a new shock tube all together or splicing/cutting pieces from your existing struts.

JP is correct about "correcting" the bump steer with ERP components to correct the bump. We have also been known to heat the steering arm up and bend it down to match how far we moved the knuckle up on the strut (Bilstein)

It can be done. Honestly.. a 914 is as low as it ever needs to be when the control arms are parallel with the chassis. At certain point you run out of shock travel if you venture any lower with a stock length shock.

I have raised spindles on 4cyl struts in the past and shortened to the tube to accept Mazda RX7 Koni adjustables (they are shorter than a 914 Koni)

B

ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jul 12 2005, 11:21 PM)
I'm pretty sure Chris Foley does them for club member at a reasonable rate.

Yes I do,
Thanks Brad.
Bob,
Visit my Tangerine Racing website Suspension page for more info. Then email me if you have any specific questions.
Thorshammer

Foley did mine.

Good work. Changed the height of the spindle and the arm to match ( better bump steer) Price was reasonable and the quality was excellent as well.

Used them to win the Watkins Glen National, gotta be pretty good.

Just don't tell anyone... OOPS wink.gif

Erik Madsen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.