Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for advise on conversion rear disc brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Racer X
Hello, I am looking for the least expensive way to convert my rear drum brakes to disc. I know on other vehicles you can convert front disc brakes from S10 pickups to Corvair. so maybe?
We have a 914 5 lug that we'd like to switch to rear disc brakes because the drums are inadequate. Any help from anyone?
Racer
I am looking for the least expensive way to convert my rear drum brakes to disc. I know on other vehicles you can convert front disc brakes from S10 pickups to Corvair. so maybe?
We have a 914 5 lug that we'd like to switch to rear disc brakes because the drums are inadequate. Any help from anyone?

?

What car has rear drums that you now want to use 914 rear discs on?
lierofox
Are we talking about a 914? What vehicle are you working on/what kind of drums are on it? 914's came from the factory with disc brakes on all 4 wheels.
Racer X
QUOTE(Racer @ Sep 3 2020, 11:37 AM) *

I am looking for the least expensive way to convert my rear drum brakes to disc. I know on other vehicles you can convert front disc brakes from S10 pickups to Corvair. so maybe?

?

What car has rear drums that you now want to use 914 rear discs on?

I have a transaxle from a 914 that has drums. We would like to change it to discs but this being a father and son project we are trying to keep the costs down. We could purchase a pre made kit but I think there should be a low cost alternative like ford granada to mustang. This isn't original 914 restoration. This is a racecar with a v8 engine.
mepstein
Just go back to stock. Used oem parts are cheap. No need to purchase a kit when stock is already disk.
Racer X
QUOTE(lierofox @ Sep 3 2020, 11:38 AM) *

Are we talking about a 914? What vehicle are you working on/what kind of drums are on it? 914's came from the factory with disc brakes on all 4 wheels.

I have a transaxle taken from a burned 914 that has drum brakes and 5 lugs. it is married to a small block 302 ford. I know there are kits you can purchase I am trying to do this low budget. Old school ford granada to mustang or s10 to corvair there must be a way.
lierofox
QUOTE(Racer X @ Sep 4 2020, 06:16 PM) *

I have a transaxle taken from a burned 914 that has drum brakes and 5 lugs. it is married to a small block 302 ford. I know there are kits you can purchase I am trying to do this low budget. Old school ford granada to mustang or s10 to corvair there must be a way.

So was the entire rear suspension from the burned car converted over to non-914 trailing arms? The stock 914 trailing arm assembly and wheel hubs are built to take disc brakes and calipers. What exactly do you have in this project?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Larmo63
You will be able to go back to rear discs pretty easily.

Rear stock disc brake parts are abundant and cheap.
ri914
If you have true 914 trailing arms you should easily be able to go to disc. I have a compete setup that is used.

Can you attach a picture of what your drum looks like? I can show you what you'll need to convert it back.
Mueller
This is a 914 rear trailing arm. See disc brakes. (these have been converted to 5 lug)

Stock would have thinner non-vented rotors and 4 lug (there is also a non-vented 5 lug rotor as well)

Click to view attachment
Spoke
When you say drum brakes, do you mean the 911-style drum parking brake?
dr914@autoatlanta.com

Must have a 356 transaxle assembly
914e
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 5 2020, 09:08 AM) *

Must have a 356 transaxle assembly

If it is 356 transaxle I would think selling it might pay for your project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.