Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT flare fitment & wheel offset
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ri914
ok, so just test fitting some flares and was wondering what offset and tire size are you all running.

I have 225 on a 19x9 in front and 315 on a 19x10.5 in the back. the front has a 1" spacer and it still looks tucked in the well quite a bit.

Currently no rubbing issues but I am wondering if I should get a different offset or if everything should be fine.

note (these HRE wheels were from my old 996 turbo if that helps)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Put the car on the ground. Not to be a Negative Nelly but I'd be really surprised if that 10.5" clears.
Generally, 9" rears are the best we can do with standard GT flares, at least with the generally available wheels/offsets.
I currently have 245s on 9s and its tight on the outside.

Please know that I would LOVE to be proven wrong as I have need for the biggest rears I can get. Watching closely, best of luck!

Also, it may be the picture but it looks like that front flare is sitting too low on the car. My concern would be, if that's true, as you move it up, it'll also move inward, decreasing the existing clearance.

Maybe post a pic directly from the side that shows how the bottom edge of the flare is aligned with the body.
infraredcalvin
Uhhhhh, what is going on with the headlight?
tygaboy
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 3 2020, 05:05 PM) *

Looks to me like he’s gonna make a 925 (914 + 11)!
ri914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 3 2020, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 3 2020, 05:05 PM) *

Looks to me like he’s gonna make a 925 (914 + 11)!

Thank you Tygaboy I think your correct on the front flare being too low. It will have to be moved up. Looking at properly fitted cars the arch should follow the top of the fender.

The headlights are in progress but hopefully turn out acceptable.
mlindner
Tygaboy is correct, front fender should be flat on top. MarkClick to view attachment
Racer
996's (well, most Porsches starting with the 87 944 and 964 "911") run what are called "late offset" wheels.. So they have an offset (ET) of 50+mm

Before then are the "early offset" wheels.. They have Offsets (ET's) of 10-36mm

Most folks running GT flares run 7" front, 8" rear 911/930 wheels, so the ET's are about 23 and 10.5 respectively.

If you run a Porsche 9x15 or 16, then the ET is about 15mm

Depending on ride height, tire size, camber, spring/torsion bar stiffness, you may be able to squeeze the wheels in that you are mentioning.
Most wheels that large (width and offset) will require large spacers/adaptors to fit. Depending on vehicle use (racing? show car?) you may be adding stresses where they are not desired.

Here's a popular Porsche wheel fitment chart, ideally for 911 users, but it shows hub/offset relationships and how the wheels could fit on your 914.

As a comparison, non-flared 914's can fit the 6x15 w/o issue and many will fit a 7x15 with some light massaging

Click to view attachment
ri914
QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 4 2020, 07:16 AM) *

Tygaboy is correct, front fender should be flat on top. Mark

awesome 914 Mlinder. that picture is extremely helpful !!! thank you
ri914
QUOTE(Racer @ Sep 4 2020, 07:22 AM) *

996's (well, most Porsches starting with the 87 944 and 964 "911") run what are called "late offset" wheels.. So they have an offset (ET) of 50+mm

Before then are the "early offset" wheels.. They have Offsets (ET's) of 10-36mm

Most folks running GT flares run 7" front, 8" rear 911/930 wheels, so the ET's are about 23 and 10.5 respectively.

If you run a Porsche 9x15 or 16, then the ET is about 15mm

Depending on ride height, tire size, camber, spring/torsion bar stiffness, you may be able to squeeze the wheels in that you are mentioning.
Most wheels that large (width and offset) will require large spacers/adaptors to fit. Depending on vehicle use (racing? show car?) you may be adding stresses where they are not desired.

Here's a popular Porsche wheel fitment chart, ideally for 911 users, but it shows hub/offset relationships and how the wheels could fit on your 914.

As a comparison, non-flared 914's can fit the 6x15 w/o issue and many will fit a 7x15 with some light massaging

This information is great, thank you so much Racer !
rgalla9146

You're in uncharted territory
Until its at full weight, on the ground and aligned there are no guarantees.
Ambitious is good though, what power ?
Steve
I’m running Fikse FM10 rims
8x17 5-130mm (19mm)
9x17 5-30mm (6mm)
mlindner
ri914, mine are the standard 7&8's /15. But first time on the ground in 25 years, as you can see engine not installed yet. running 1/2 spacers in fronts. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
tygaboy
This is mine with 16x9 with 245/50 on Ronal wheels that have a 2mm different offset from the 16x9 Fuchs. These sit further outboard. On that one pic, you can see there is a bit of room on the inside but nowhere near enough for a 10.5" wheel.

And this is with no shims and about 1.8 degrees of negative camber. Less negative camber will cause the top of the wheel to move out, even closer to the lip of the flare.

Also, I trimmed the return on the flare to get as much room as I could.

As has been pointed out, be sure you're considering final fitment and adjust-ability before you start welding!
tygaboy
Let me add: Given the metal work you're up to, if you want 10.5 rears, just widen your flares to accommodate! Never say never! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
ri914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 4 2020, 11:19 AM) *

Let me add: Given the metal work you're up to, if you want 10.5 rears, just widen your flares to accommodate! Never say never! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

exactly. that is why they are taped on smile.gif i originally planned on making these rears be able to accommodate the tires that come off the lambo and viper... so I would want to be able to have room for a 345 if possible.

the issue is my 315's measure 12.5" wide... the 345's are 14" wide so that is quite a bit difference to factor in. I am more worried about the added force on the bearing and rear control arm with a 345 as well.

For now I will get the drive train in to see what the suspension does and line up the fenders and see how much width needs to be added.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914forme
I agree with Chris make them as wide as you need them to be.

As far as the bearing goes, just replacement them.

But if your really worried, back in the day you could get a 911 bearing, and the axle section, you cut the 914 one off and weld the 911 size one on. It is bit wider on the later models.

That would help your bearing issues.

Hit Chris up over at Tangerine racing and see if he has a better idea.

Vellios is gone, but here's the article if you need the idea.

Click to view attachment

I would jut replace the wheel bearings.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 3 2020, 08:00 PM) *

Please know that I would LOVE to be proven wrong as I have need for the biggest rears I can get.

@tygaboy

You need nothing less than the 345's off that Viper in the background. And a very soft compound at that. av-943.gif
ri914
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 4 2020, 04:52 PM) *

I agree with Chris make them as wide as you need them to be.

Hit Chris up over at Tangerine racing and see if he has a better idea.

Vellios is gone, but here's the article if you need the idea.

Click to view attachment

I would jut replace the wheel bearings.

Stephen, your knowledge share is always great. What an interesting article.. I just installed new bearings so I'll be able to see how long these last. I try not to bother Chris more than once a week, followed by a parts order of course.

The 315s appear to fit well in the fenders. I will check fitment this weekend and update with accurate measurements and pictures. I had to install the drivetrain tonight.

Click to view attachment
ri914
Update: The GT flares sit out about 6 inches off the rear trunk edge. I required an additional 3.5" of width to fit the 315 and leave some room, so my flares will sit about 9.5" from the trunk seam.
djway
When I was building my own flares I took out the springs and bars then jacked up the suspension to full compression. I then built the flare to clear......I think....
johnhora
GT flare placement

maf914
Johnhora,

Where did you find that diagram? Interesting.

What are the units of measure?

Thanks.
ri914
QUOTE(johnhora @ Sep 14 2020, 05:38 AM) *

GT flare placement

John that is one awesome schematic right there! Thank you!
johnhora
Mike,
The units of measure are inches.
I had found this a long time ago. not sure where it came from.
But I have a hand drawn one that shows the same measurements.
The measurements are right on from what I have seen and checked.
If anyone has access to a real GT maybe they can verify.
George H. maybe your 916.
Good luck on your project.
Tdskip
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 3 2020, 07:05 PM) *

I got stuck on this too...

Looks like a cool build, and now is the time to go big on the flares!
maf914
QUOTE(johnhora @ Sep 18 2020, 04:46 AM) *

Mike,
The units of measure are inches.
I had found this a long time ago. not sure where it came from.
But I have a hand drawn one that shows the same measurements.
The measurements are right on from what I have seen and checked.
If anyone has access to a real GT maybe they can verify.
George H. maybe your 916.
Good luck on your project.

Thank you, John.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.