Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder #1 on the Dizzy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brian minson
I know it's been 10 years since I last owned a 914, 1973 914. But I have also owned a 1971 and 1974 914 over the past 25 years. And I remember that the rotor inside the distributor points to the mark on the metal case indicates cylinder #1, and typically that would be around 11 o clock if you looking down towards the front of the car.

However, in this 912E (2.0 Type 4) motor I have the mark and rotor are at about the 2 o clock position. Here is a link to a video I did on what I was tuning up the motor early this year. The car seems to run great, does get a bit too hot (Summer in Phoenix Arizona).

I was chatting with another 914 owner this week and he confirmed that on his car with a 009 and carbs that #1 was at about the 11 o clock position on his motor as well.

Just wanted to see if the 912E version was different or is this thing running on magic!? LOL

Brian smile.gif

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/Oz2RWFavT7g
VaccaRabite
Your dizzy was likely installed 180 degrees off. Which does not make a hill of beans difference so long as the plug wires were corrected so that the correct lead goes to the correct terminal on the dizzy.

My car ran 180 off for years until I went crank fire.

Zach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 4 2020, 09:44 AM) *

Your dizzy was likely installed 180 degrees off. Which does not make a hill of beans difference so long as the plug wires were corrected so that the correct lead goes to the correct terminal on the dizzy.

Zach

Actually, it does make a difference. All Type-IV distributors from the factory, and most aftermarket ones, retard the #3 cylinder lobe on the point cam by 3 degrees to lower the cylinder heat temp on that cylinder.

I know it seems to run fine with the distributor installed 180 degrees out, but it now has the wrong cylinder running 3 degrees retarded.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...W+%233+retarded

Clay
Al Meredith
I suspect the distributor drive is installed 180 dec out of phase . Remove the distributor and pull the drive out and turn it so that the distributor rotor lines up with the mark on the case. Note the grove is offset from the center . Watch out for the small spring be sure you don't loose it and reinstall the distributor.
Rob-O
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 4 2020, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 4 2020, 09:44 AM) *

Zach

Actually, it does make a difference. All Type-IV distributors from the factory, and most aftermarket ones, retard the #3 cylinder lobe on the point cam by 3 degrees to lower the cylinder heat temp on that cylinder.

I know it seems to run fine with the distributor installed 180 degrees out, but it now has the wrong cylinder running 3 degrees retarded.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...W+%233+retarded

Clay

Looks like the link says the retarded lobe was on type 1’s and only those manufactured before 1970 (and certain 009’s models as well).
brian minson
So is everyone in agreement that #1 should be at like at 11am?

Brian smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brian minson @ Sep 4 2020, 05:30 PM) *

So is everyone in agreement that #1 should be at like at 11am?

Brian smile.gif

All references are from the car orientation, as if you were in the driver's seat.

#1 should be the front left distributor tower.
#2 should be the rear left distributor tower.
#3 should be the rear right distributor tower.
#4 should be the front right distributor tower.

The left two plug wires should cross on the way from the distributor to the plugs.
The right two plug wires should match the distributor towers.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.