Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAARG! Clutch Cable broke :(
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
What a fun day... while doing a turn around and heading home from a nice scenic drive in NY state, my clutch cable broke. Any how, got the car flatbedded home and have a couple of questions for you all before I dig into the repair.

Is there a prefered clutch cable I should order? OEM or Weltmeister?
What other parts are needed to do the install properly? Clevis? Pin Clip and arm bushing? I seen them in the PProd cat. again do I get OEM or Welt? Any tips from you Gurus? Once I have the cable hooked up, how much tension should it have? Do I put the car in any particular gear or leave it in neutral when adjusting it? I did a spedo cable before, so I'm some what familiar with the center tunnel and peddle assembly.

Thanks again,

Tod
MattR
I ordered my clutch cable from Performance Products and it came with everything I needed. I think it was OEM (the cheap one?). You shouldnt have to replace anything else.

As far as adjusting, just tighten up the nut until the clutch picks up about 1" from the top of the pedal's motion.
john rogers
A couple of things, make sure to use TWO nuts on the cable end at the clutch and also make sure to seat the outer cover over the tube where it exits the firewall or the adjustment will creap for a while.
tod914
Lucked out and had a new clutch cable in a spedo cable bag that came with the car. Who would of thought. The white plastic roller on the transmission, what if anything do you lubricate that with? The other thing is, the clevis pin on the peddle assembly. Mine looks like it is 2 pieces not the one piece unit that is on the Pelican Parts site. Doesn't seem to want to pop out after rotating the clip off the cable. Any tricks to getting it off?

Thanks,
jr91472
QUOTE (tod914 @ Jul 13 2005, 12:05 PM)
Mine looks like it is 2 pieces not the one piece unit that is on the Pelican Parts site. Doesn't seem to want to pop out after rotating the clip off the cable. Any tricks to getting it off?

Thanks,

should slip right out. Turned out mine was a total mess just from long duty. Keeping working it till it comes out. May want to replace it. Also check the bushing where it attaches to the clutch pedal. You can see what mine looked like. Bushing and cleavis (sp?) are cheap to replace though.

Allan
Funny story.

I was so freakin illiterate when I changed mine the first time I called and bitched to Tom at PP because they sent me the wrong cable and I needed it corrected by the next day. He was nice and said he would overnight a new one and I could send him the original.

My son got to looking at it and come to find out I was trying to put it in backwards blink.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.