Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The not Magnus Walker 277 tribute build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
Just bought a ivory white 74 2.0. It's a bit rough, but perfect car for this build. Anyone know the red and blue colors of the 277 car? Im' guessing guards red and? Will need a new windshield. Needs a black seat cushion. Looking for a prototipo momo and hub. Worn a bit is okay or a Magnus Walker momo for reasonable $.
jaredmcginness
Interesting ....

Add pics of your 914. Rough? How is the frame?
If you have questions about the colors used, just email him directly. His email is on his Instagram biography.
Coondog
That car is more famous for the crash........popcorn:
https://youtu.be/QmpFRdi0ddo
dhuckabay
QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 6 2020, 05:46 AM) *

I hope that when I do stupid that there isn't a TV crew to make sure I will never forget it.
ri914
Looks like magnus was lucky by 12". That lift gate post would have ended his life that day if he had any more or less traction.
mepstein
QUOTE(ri914 @ Sep 6 2020, 09:45 AM) *

Looks like magnus was lucky by 12". That lift gate post would have ended his life that day if he had any more or less traction.

And yet, he still drives like an A hole.
brant
I don’t understand why anyone would follow-replicate the guy?
Freezin 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2020, 09:03 AM) *

The streets are not the place to try and show a cars performance... a closed course or track would be the place to give proper demonstration.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 6 2020, 10:03 AM) *

I don’t understand why anyone would follow-replicate the guy?

Although, I do not agree with everything he does or has to say. I do appreciate the fact that he is not the “stereotypical Porsche owner”. I like to think of us 914 people in particular, to be some of the nicest, down to earth car people on the planet.
I tend to notice that most of us appreciate most cars and motorized vehicles..
I am thankful to be part of this community.
mepstein
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Sep 6 2020, 11:37 AM) *

The streets are not the place to try and show a cars performance... a closed course or track would be the place to give proper demonstration.

I’m referring to his driving during last years WCR. He had to pass us all on a double yellow on blind curves in a black 911 turbo. Total “look at me, I have a Porsche”, move. If it was anyone else or it was a bmw or corvette, guys would have said it was a dick move. But it was Magnus, urban A hole.
KELTY360
QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Sep 6 2020, 05:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 6 2020, 05:46 AM) *

I hope that when I do stupid that there isn't a TV crew to make sure I will never forget it.

Don’t get famous.

The OP asked a simple question and within three posts it turns into a bonfire. Give it a rest people.
second wind
Those streets look wet to me....the street looks dry under the moving van. Just watching that video gives me the woolies.
gg
Tdskip
OK - I’m sure if you do some searching there will be color info on his builds. Dont understand the interior question - are you asking about color or material or seat design? 911 type seats don’t readily fit into a 914. Looks like guard red and gulf blue to me.

On that crash - he is lucky he didn’t kill himself or worse someone else. Stupid, arrogant and moronic all rolled into one.
steuspeed
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 6 2020, 02:47 PM) *

OK - I’m sure if you do some searching there will be color info on his builds. Dont understand the interior question - are you asking about color or material or seat design? 911 type seats don’t readily fit into a 914. Looks like guard red and gulf blue to me.

Black interior is in good shape except dash and driver seat cushion. I have a 914rubber dash laying around. Need a cushion replacement. Gulf blue is a good guess. Looks a bit light. Maybe it's Golf Blue?
steuspeed
Photos added
pete000
Not a fan of MW after his Hotwheels sale stunt. Promised to have a good supply and when everyone showed up to get one he only had a dozen or so, about 75 people stood in line for hours to get nothing but the chance to buy some of his crappy "Merch" ! He wasn't even there.

Be creative and do you own design it will be way better !!!! driving.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 12 2020, 11:10 PM) *

Be creative and do you own design it will be way better !!!! driving.gif

Man, this is exactly what I was thinking! Do your own thing. Or if you have to copy do something significant from Porsche's racing history maybe. Not some dude that's doing the same sort of thing. I'm doing a one off thing myself.. my own personal "Livery". Heck your's doesn't look bad the way it is, honestly.

sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
flmont
Gotta wonder how he lost traction either he let up in that curve or hit the brakes mid curve because of the oncoming traffic...he didnt look that fast ,but I wasnt there but Iam sure he know's ! So true on that 12" statement Damn,Imagine that lift gate in your temple Ouch
KELTY360
What happened to, “it’s your car, do what you want?”
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 13 2020, 10:51 AM) *

Gotta wonder how he lost traction either he let up in that curve or hit the brakes mid curve because of the oncoming traffic...he didnt look that fast ,but I wasnt there but Iam sure he know's ! So true on that 12" statement Damn,Imagine that lift gate in your temple Ouch

There wasn't really anything he could have done. Well maybe not drive like an idiot on a busy frontage road.
steuspeed
After that flame job on my Magnus Walker tribute idea, I am changing it up a bit. This is going to be an Outlaw build. I'm keeping the patina where I like it and cleaning up the rest. Getting the mechanicals solid. Maybe a tip towards racing. Already has Turbo Tie rods. New seals and gaskets where needed. Bought $250 in goodies from 914rubber to start on 914 day. New windshield has been obtained. It's already taking on a new life.
pete000
Good plan !
steuspeed
Targa top refresh with new 914Rubber parts. Had some better latch parts on hand. Cleaned and painted black. Media tumbled all the hardware. Matte clear sprayed.

steuspeed
2.0 Emblem was roached. I sanded and painted. Then, I distressed it to look like the 914 badge. Cleaned up the tail with 600 wet sand and polish compound. Trunk actually looking good with a little shine.
EdwardBlume
When the cameras are off Magnus Walker is one of us. When they are on, he's at work.

The 914 has always been a "have it your way" car. Part of its charm.

BTW - once you get it where you want it, don't sell it.
steuspeed
Look what came today. Slightly used momo D35 steering wheel I bought off ebay. Had the horn button. I may switch to the Porsche crest? Brand new momo hub 8002 came from LTB Autosports in FL. They also sell new steering wheels and horn buttons. Time to get rid of the roached out stock wheel. driving.gif
steuspeed
Deck lid hinge mount was cracked and sagging on the passenger side. My friend down the road did a nice weld up repair. Hit it with some spray primer. Now the lid opens, closes and sits like it should. Also replaced the rear window rubber/deck lid molding from 914rubber.
Chris H.
Looking good! That engine lid seal from 914rubber is great isn't it? I needed one for years and finally changed it when pieces started breaking off. Never knew the rubber was supposed to be so soft!
steuspeed
The build continues. Cleaning the engine bay grease and grime. Sanded and painted the intake runners. Rustoleum Industrial grey is a pretty good match to the the OEM finish. Removing a lot of PO electrical wiring. O2 sensor wires and head temp sensors. The new exhaust has no bung for the sensor. the head temp sensors had spark plug washers removed and it looked like bad seals on the plugs. Plus the wires through the tins were frayed. Potential shorts and difficult to swap plugs due to clearance. Those gauges will be removed as well.
steuspeed
My photos are too big. They won't post.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Sep 13 2020, 10:17 AM) *

There wasn't really anything he could have done. Well maybe not drive like an idiot on a busy frontage road.

Lets be honest it was the weight distribution . Way to much in the passenger seat
wonkipop
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Apr 22 2022, 05:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Sep 13 2020, 10:17 AM) *

Lets be honest it was the weight distribution . Way to much in the passenger seat

smile.gif

who had the most stromberg.gif in the pants?
his passenger or the bloke in the merc pagoda scraping hub caps going for the curb?

------

i'm all for steuspeed going the m w look. but maybe not the slick tyre spec?
BillJ
It is the Magnus polarizing effect. Take the parts you like about customizing friend!
cgnj
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2020, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Sep 6 2020, 11:37 AM) *

I’m referring to his driving during last years WCR. He had to pass us all on a double yellow on blind curves in a black 911 turbo. Total “look at me, I have a Porsche”, move. If it was anyone else or it was a bmw or corvette, guys would have said it was a dick move. But it was Magnus, urban A hole.

Remind me to never share the road with this guy. Zero situational awareness. Going to kill himself or some innocent bystander.
Shivers
Nice work.
mlindner
Steuspeed, on my Mac lap top, photos on desk top, just go up to tools, then size and pick a custom setting. Mine take a 2 to 3 meg file down to 400K, They look good and can post 5 to 10 photos at a time. Best, Mark
steuspeed
Ok, trying this again. Resized my photos. Before/after intake.
steuspeed
sand/paint
steuspeed
Engine cleaning
steuspeed
PO had this bolt blocking off the start injector line. Stuff like this everywhere on this car.
New Standard brand Injectors from RockAuto. Wow! do these look nice.
steuspeed
Going with these yellow plug wires from Auto Atlanta. A 7mm set should work with the stock routing clips. Nice contrast to all the vac and fuel lines in the engine bay. Using NOS NGK B6ES plugs I had on the shelf.
steuspeed
momo gets the crest horn button. driving.gif
steuspeed
Looks like the original exhaust. This thing is roached out. PO added an O2 sensor for a gauge. That's coming out. No bung on the the stainless GT exhaust. I hope it's not too loud.
RolinkHaus
Looking good, thought of doing the same. A livery 914 would be awesome. What do you think of Porsche Motorsport colors with a red/black checkered flag targa top? biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
steuspeed
This is the way I am leaning if I drop the orange hoods. I have the PORSCHE positive stripes instead of the negative in this photo. The GT stripes will be 911 Metallic or Gemini Blue. I have a period replacement windshield with dark blue tint across the top.
wonkipop
stones.gif
euro911
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Sep 30 2020, 05:52 AM) *
... The 914 has always been a "have it your way" car. Part of its charm. ...
agree.gif - I typically phrase it this way: it's a blank canvas - create whatever you want. Same goes for Harleys shades.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Apr 25 2022, 11:49 AM) *

Looks like the original exhaust. This thing is roached out.

Looks like a Bursch.

Not original, probably even better at rusting out than factory.

Originals were all banana mufflers.
steuspeed
QUOTE(JamesM @ Apr 26 2022, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Apr 25 2022, 11:49 AM) *

Looks like the original exhaust. This thing is roached out.

Looks like a Bursch.

Not original, probably even better at rusting out than factory.

Originals were all banana mufflers.

Good catch! I should have known that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.