Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rubber Screw Covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Hey Mark, what did ya'll make these out of; bubble gum? After sitting in the sun for 4 hours & OAT of 90F these things melted beyond recognition. If I hadn't had an OEM one mixed in the bunch I wouldn't have been able to tell what they were.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Robarabian
Instead of those stupid Prop 65 warnings on everything, maybe we need "not CA heat appropriate"... everything is melting... was 117 here yesterday.... Death Valley at the same time was 115...
Montreal914
Yikes... sad.gif
SirAndy
unsure.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Sep 7 2020, 04:59 PM) *

Instead of those stupid Prop 65 warnings on everything, maybe we need "not CA heat appropriate"... everything is melting... was 117 here yesterday.... Death Valley at the same time was 115...

Been there done that....

1980 DFW Heat wave.

I was 17 in 1980. The official temp at DFW airport was 113 for two days in a row. But we saw 117 on the thermometer in our back yard. And I was young and dumb enough to take the AC out of my car for better performance. screwy.gif

Nobody was outside during the day. We all ventured out after dark. It was miserable...

So I feel for you man.

76-914
Yeah, we had 115F Saturday & Sunday and the cars were in the garage then. But it was only 90F today and overcast for an hour of those 4 hours outside. That melted glob reminds me of Peter Sellers' nose melting in "The revenge of the Pink Panther". av-943.gif
Chris914n6
The black plastic got way over 90f sitting in the sun and in an airtight bag. I'd venture 120-130F.

My black car hits 150+F on the surface.

Oh, and you can have the smoke from your fires back. Air is nasty and unbreathable here today.
PanelBilly
We’re they made of chocolate?
Krieger
blink.gif
914werke
popcorn[1].gif
brcacti
Global warming ? hissyfit.gif
djway
I had the same problem with them just in the garage.
I also had one of their Hockey Pucks sitting in the garage and the thing puckered up beyond recognition.
If they cant survive the garage......
bbrock
I haven't had any melt (they haven't been exposed to heat), but found the screw covers so soft they are difficult to remove without tearing them up. More of a one time use item than the original hard covers.
76-914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 7 2020, 05:03 PM) *

The black plastic got way over 90f sitting in the sun and in an airtight bag. I'd venture 120-130F.

My black car hits 150+F on the surface.

Oh, and you can have the smoke from your fires back. Air is nasty and unbreathable here today.
That's as may be but any car interior can easily reach 160F in the sun. shades.gif
QUOTE(djway @ Sep 7 2020, 09:10 PM) *

I had the same problem with them just in the garage.
I also had one of their Hockey Pucks sitting in the garage and the thing puckered up beyond recognition.
If they cant survive the garage......
Yeah. I heard about that through the Grapevine. I sure hope the ones that Mark @mepstein offered on his group buy aren't the same pucks.
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 8 2020, 06:44 AM) *

I haven't had any melt (they haven't been exposed to heat), but found the screw covers so soft they are difficult to remove without tearing them up. More of a one time use item than the original hard covers.
The thin edges tear when removed. screwy.gif
ConeDodger
Take them out at night, put them in the freezer. Reinstall in the morning! Problem solved! av-943.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 7 2020, 06:28 PM) *

Been there done that....

1980 DFW Heat wave.

I was 17 in 1980. The official temp at DFW airport was 113 for two days in a row. But we saw 117 on the thermometer in our back yard. And I was young and dumb enough to take the AC out of my car for better performance. screwy.gif

I was really little at the time (5 years old) and used to have a shirt saying that I had survived the '80 heat wave. Kinda wish I still had it, I remember it really clearly.
Was in Denton TX at the time.

Zach
TheCabinetmaker
Crazy weather. August in Oklahoma is almost always 30 days of over 100 temps. We had just a few days over 90 in Tulsa this August.
76-914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 8 2020, 08:16 AM) *

Take them out at night, put them in the freezer. Reinstall in the morning! Problem solved! av-943.gif
lol-2.gif
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 8 2020, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 7 2020, 06:28 PM) *

Been there done that....

1980 DFW Heat wave.

I was really little at the time (5 years old) and used to have a shirt saying that I had survived the '80 heat wave. Kinda wish I still had it, I remember it really clearly.
Was in Denton TX at the time.

Zach
I lived in TX for almost 50 years and I remember that area could boil at times.
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Sep 8 2020, 10:43 AM) *

Crazy weather. August in Oklahoma is almost always 30 days of over 100 temps. We had just a few days over 90 in Tulsa this August.

That's true in TX too. The only difference between TX & OK is that Tx has fewer Tornados and Snow than OK.
mepstein
The hockey puck horn buttons that I have made are machined aluminum with a leather pad. If they melt, get out of the car because it’s on fire.
rjames
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 8 2020, 12:46 PM) *

The hockey puck horn buttons that I have made are machined aluminum with a leather pad. If they melt, get out of the car because it’s on fire.

biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Hey wanted to follow up on this.
We did and an issue with materials when we ran a batch about 18 months ago. Thought we had caught all that were made but looks like some got out. I will replace these for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IronHillRestorations
OEM passed the test, wax did not smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 8 2020, 01:38 PM) *

Hey wanted to follow up on this.
We did and an issue with materials when we ran a batch about 18 months ago. Thought we had caught all that were made but looks like some got out. I will replace these for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Good to know. So they weren't made from bubble gum after all? happy11.gif
Mikey914
No we had some plastic that came in the same type of box that got mixed in with our stock that we didn't know we had used until we started seeing some failure just like this.
Thought we had caught all of them, but apparently headbang.gif not
djway

Garage wasn’t on fire. Never got a reply from Mark so gave it to Bruce Stone when he was working with them. He said the reply was basically “garages get hot”
76-914
QUOTE(djway @ Sep 8 2020, 03:46 PM) *

Garage wasn’t on fire. Never got a reply from Mark so gave it to Bruce Stone when he was working with them. He said the reply was basically “garages get hot”

That must have gotten by Mark @Mikey914
Mikey914
The 1st ones we made wee a catalyzed plastic. They were castings off of an original, unfortunately they were more temperature sensitive. Some more than others. It's why we no longer sell them. No problem taking back. Our policy has always been that if we have a problem we will make it right.
djway
Just talked to Bruce and we both recall after he got nowhere I told him to toss it.
You can confirm with him.
I would accept a credit as I spend a ton at your place.
VaccaRabite
Maybe take this private?
Zach
porschetub
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 9 2020, 02:40 PM) *

Maybe take this private?
Zach

agree.gif .
Mikey914
I'm not offended in any way here. I have no problem with transparency. Had I been contacted directly I would do the same thing. A credit is being issued. Sometimes you can have a problem and not know it, so yes I do NEED input when stuff goes wrong.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any problems, but the result is the same. smile.gif
Mark
rhodyguy
Case closed then.
76-914
@Mikey914 Just to be clear. I wasn't worried about reimbursement on such a small ticket item Mark. I know there will be snags in any new product brought to line. What I think of when I think of you is that you made it possible for myself & others to replace their dash and many other items that were no longer available. beerchug.gif Kent
bkrantz
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 8 2020, 09:16 AM) *

That, plus install AC.
Mikey914
Unfortunately we have a lot of things melting around us now.
My son Taylor, Blake, and Carr have had to evacuate their homes, Unfortunately we had to leave Taylor's' 914 project behind'
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 9 2020, 10:09 PM) *

Unfortunately we have a lot of things melting around us now.
My son Taylor, Blake, and Carr have had to evacuate their homes, Unfortunately we had to leave Taylor's' 914 project behind'

I hope for the best for all you guys. Stay safe.

My brother lost his home in a CA wildfire some years ago.
Matty900
We are about 6 miles from an active fire and we back up to the forest so it has been very nervous times here at the foster care home. So far the winds have been blowing the fire away from us but tomorrow could get interesting.
On a positive note, we have been getting some amazing sunsets
VaccaRabite
Is it possible to get someone with a dozer to dig a fire block around your property?

Zach
AZBanks
Everyone be safe around those fires.

But heat complaints??? Really??? stirthepot.gif

Come to Phoenix...

Amateurs! av-943.gif

Imagine, if you will, 4' X 6' sheets of black rubber stacked 5 feet high on pallets. The pallets are on a flatbed semi trailer.
My employer was using a crane to get the pallets off the trailer so someone had to climb up on the trailer and then climb up on top of the sheets of black rubber and hook cables to the the crane.

That someone was me. That was June 26, 1990, the day it hit 122 in phoenix.

After about an hour I felt like I had blowup.gif

Mikey914
Well the evacuation was off and Taylor / Blake headed back, looks like the winds shifted again and it's back on. Poor Taylor was having a hard time sleeping. The project we have completed the rotisserie work on is in the basement and unfortunately a bunch of boxes that need to be moved have it blocked in. Gonna try to move it if we get another break (hoped to today but that changed).

As far as digging a trench, the house in in a forested area. There is a field that's part of the property, but if the winds kick up again we can only pry it is away from the house / shop.
Here's a pic for 2 days ago when you could see it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.