Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa top finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Today we found that Elwood (the 70 914-6) has a late top on him. That is the reason the seals don't fit to the windows correctly. So I got up in the attic and found I have 3 early tops and one late top up there.

I checked Igor (73 with the 4.0L engine) and it has a very nice early top on it. But it is painted red to match the car . headbang.gif

So we carefully examined the 3 early tops from the attic, and picked the best one. It has some minor cracks in the fiberglass, but the corners are not broken off. So we stripped it, cleaned it up, and lightly sanded it. We have primer-filler on it to start on filling the blemishes.

What color is correct? Satin black seems to be the closest I can find. I am thinking of using the primer-filler to build up the top a little, and not sand it to reproduce the texture that came from the factory.

Unless someone on here has a better idea?

Clay
Superhawk996
take a look @bbrock thread. He recently did his and it looks nice, close to OEM.
aharder
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 7 2020, 05:18 PM) *

What color is correct? Satin black seems to be the closest I can find. I am thinking of using the primer-filler to build up the top a little, and not sand it to reproduce the texture that came from the factory.

Unless someone on here has a better idea?

Clay

I've been using a Satin Black on my car for a long time.
I like your thought on the Primer-filler and not sanding. Would love to see the results if you go that way. Mine has spots on it and I've been think for a long time how to blend in a correction.

Did you find a roller for Betty?

bbrock
@McMark posted the best method I found that resurfaces with gelcoat just like the original top: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2516787

And if you want to see how this hillbilly tried to copy his method: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2834219

Mark's is better but I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.