Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My wife's first autocross!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottthephotog
So proud of my wife. She ran her very first autocross yesterday with Aaron @partsguy22 , @Betty , and @ClayPerrine . She did an amazing job, running quicker times each run and beat her goal on her last run. A big thanks to Aaron, Betty, and Clay for all the help and advice they gave Katie.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Unfortunately, no 914s from us that day, just Miatas. Betty and Aaron drove Aaron's Miata. Clay was going to drive Elwood, but there was a suspension issue.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Katie had an epic spin after the finish line on her 3rd run. She even got applause for it!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Aaron was really bloody fast on the track,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

but Betty engaged warp speed 9!
Click to view attachment
scottthephotog
Also.... Spin!

Click to view attachment
SO.O.C914er
That is very cool! Showed it to my wife got a YOU GO GIRL from her! driving-girl.gif first.gif
Krieger
first.gif Awesome! I hope she liked it! Do you think she'll go back?
bretth
Kick ass. Awesome.
Tdskip
Right on!
VegasRacer
QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Sep 7 2020, 05:06 PM) *

She did an amazing job, running quicker times each run and beat her goal on her last run.

Fabulous. rocking nana.gif
It sounds like she had some good instructors (and listened to what they said). chatsmiley.gif
A positive experience will make her want to come back again (in addition to being a safer driver on the street). driving-girl.gif
cali914
great car for your first auto-cross also. My wife has one really predictable.
ClayPerrine
Katie is sooo hooked. She will definitely be back. driving-girl.gif

Katie the Cone Killer!!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Betty
Katie has been what one could call.... "Autocross Curious" for a while now. lol-2.gif

During the day, if you were to judge by seeing her climbing out of her car after her runs laughing and smiling - I think we've brought another one over to the dark side!

"Come to the Dark (Autocross) Side... we have adrenaline" driving-girl.gif

She had very little instruction from me throughout the day. They are still not allowing anybody to ride along yet due to the pandemic (which is correct and good). All I could do for her was walk the course with her once and teach as we walked. I speed walked through it a second time trying to get more Miata info from Aaron as that was the first time I'd ever driven one... come to think of it, the first time I've truly competed in anything other than my 914. Aaron's car was a blast! - ultimately tossable and just plain fun to drive!

Then during the actual runs, I'd hop out of the car I was in and check on her to see how she was doing, ask if she had any quick questions and be a cheerleader. She appreciates working on skills first with speed coming later (she really does get that they are skills that could save her life on the road). She progressed throughout the entire day, and whacking a few cones and sliding a bit didn't seem to phase her overly much. She listens extremely well and she's got a competitive nature. I suspect she just might be a natural at it! aktion035.gif

There's SO much more I can show her once passengers are allowed, until then there's a lot I can explain and maybe go to an empty parking lot and show her - at extremely slow, non-cop attracting speeds. busted_cop.gif

She has every right to be very proud of what she accomplished! cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif
partsguy22
That was a blast, it was an amazing course and some great people
Katie was great she learns fast and isn't afraid to push herself especially considering it was her first time on track
Betty did great for her first time in a real car poke.gif
and as always Scott took some great photos
It is just a shame Clay didn't get a chance to run Elwood
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.