Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 oil console and seals - ANSWERS FOUND
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
How do these parts work together? The rubber seal I got is not snug around the console. Does this someone how mount to the hole that is cut in the body? Does the metal ring push this seal out so it will stay sealed to the body.

EDIT - I have a rubber seal that mounts to the body and the metal ring helps to keep it in place.
I will not be using any of the expensive cell foam between the tank and body. If gaps exist once I fit the tank I may use some weather stripping.

IPB Image
Tdskip
@mb911 - paging Ben.
mepstein
Does the metal ring push this seal out so it will stay sealed to the body. Yes
The rubber seal I got is not snug around the console.Correct
Does this someone how mount to the hole that is cut in the body. Yes. There is a grove in the OD of the rubber ring that fits the large hole in the left fender inside the engine compartment.

Make sure you line up the oil return holes in the console with the ones at the tank.
mepstein
I clean the aluminum oil consoles before use. Remove the steel or brass threaded fitting with an impact gun. Clean and lightly lube with motor oil. Use a very small C clamp to depress the bypass spring under the black button. A C clamp will hold it open while you spray brake clean and some compressed air.
These are 50 years old and you never know their history.
mb911
What you have there is for the filler not the console. The console seal is one piece and is just an o ring.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 9 2020, 11:23 AM) *

What you have there is for the filler not the console. The console seal is one piece and is just an o ring.

Yes. There is an o ring seal that goes in between the console and the oil tank. I get that kind of stuff from my local Porsche dealer since they don't charge for shipping and it's usually overnight or 2 day.
nditiz1
So I have the O-ring that goes under the console, but I bought the seal and ring in this pic:

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 9 2020, 01:29 PM) *

So I have the O-ring that goes under the console, but I bought the seal and ring in this pic:

Click to view attachment

45 & 46 go around the console but 9 goes under it to seal it to the oil tank. 46 doesn't seal like an o ring. More of a rubber cover over the console. I guess so it never makes contact with the metal edge.
Luke M
That's more of a dust seal per say. It gets mounted on the oil tank filter console hole on the chassis. Then sandwiched between the oil tank and chassis. Make any sense ? The metal ring is to keep the seal in place. Look at this thread and it'll give you an idea on how it works.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...8492&st=120
nditiz1
QUOTE(Luke M @ Sep 9 2020, 11:35 AM) *

That's more of a dust seal per say. It gets mounted on the oil tank filter console hole on the chassis. Then sandwiched between the oil tank and chassis. Make any sense ? The metal ring is to keep the seal in place. Look at this thread and it'll give you an idea on how it works.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...8492&st=120

Perfect Luke M, thanks, that pic was exactly what I was looking for.
mskala
Maybe the original poster knows already, but the console can screw on multiple ways
and only one of them the oil holes line up, otherwise no oil flow.
porschetub
Most important thing is the condition of the seal groove in the console,the edges corrode away and the seal won't stay captive in that groove.
I found marking the console to the correct spot made it a lot easier to get the capscrews lined up and started,I also had to put a light coat of Hylamar on the seal to hold in place otherwise they tend to fall off.
I don't recall using the spring clip,my rubber seal stayed put once I got it in which was a little fiddly .
mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 9 2020, 12:41 PM) *

Most important thing is the condition of the seal groove in the console,the edges corrode away and the seal won't stay captive in that groove.
I found marking the console to the correct spot made it a lot easier to get the capscrews lined up and started,I also had to put a light coat of Hylamar on the seal to hold in place otherwise they tend to fall off.
I don't recall using the spring clip,my rubber seal stayed put once I got it in which was a little fiddly .

The spring clip is for the foam seal to body that few use..

gms
the outer groove fits on the inner wheel house metal. On the inside there is a groove for the metal ring

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 9 2020, 04:45 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 9 2020, 12:41 PM) *

The spring clip is for the foam seal to body that few use..

Ben - the two foam seals just crush between the tank and body. No clips. They are pricey for what they are.
rgalla9146
The two foam items seals go between the tank and the body. The larger one at the filler neck, the smaller one at the tank vent nipple or the lower nipple to the crankcase....can't remember.
The rubber ring is secured by the steel ring to the body around the filter console
The seal at the drivers hell hole may be a slotted O flat seal.
You don't exactly get what you pays for.
nditiz1
I must have missed those foam pieces in the Katalog. So most people don't run any? I'd rather not damage the nice new tank that Ben is sending. Do the two mount bolts keep it far enough away or do people use other means?
mb911
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 9 2020, 04:03 PM) *

I must have missed those foam pieces in the Katalog. So most people don't run any? I'd rather not damage the nice new tank that Ben is sending. Do the two mount bolts keep it far enough away or do people use other means?

I don't use anything on my tanks.. They are just bolted in
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 9 2020, 07:48 PM) *

The two foam items seals go between the tank and the body. The larger one at the filler neck, the smaller one at the tank vent nipple or the lower nipple to the crankcase....can't remember.
The rubber ring is secured by the steel ring to the body around the filter console

Lol. I think the smaller one is $35 and the larger is $55. I bought a set and wondered if I had been taken.
I would use the clear rubber spacers or a similar substitute where the tank bolts to the sheet metal. Som thick rubber grommets would probably do the trick although the spacers aren’t that much money.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2020, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 9 2020, 07:48 PM) *

Lol. I think the smaller one is $35 and the larger is $55. I bought a set and wondered if I had been taken.
I would use the clear rubber spacers or a similar substitute where the tank bolts to the sheet metal. Som thick rubber grommets would probably do the trick although the spacers aren’t that much money.

I made mine from 2 layers of closed seal foam,worked good after seeing the price on originals as mentioned,IMO they are important to insure road grime isn't getting in there cause on a stock tank there is a fairly big gap.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 9 2020, 07:32 AM) *

I clean the aluminum oil consoles before use. Remove the steel or brass threaded fitting with an impact gun. Clean and lightly lube with motor oil. Use a very small C clamp to depress the bypass spring under the black button. A C clamp will hold it open while you spray brake clean and some compressed air.
These are 50 years old and you never know their history.

find a 1973..it uses oc 54, bigger free flow filter..one year only
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 9 2020, 07:23 AM) *

Not exactly. What he's showing is the seal between the oil tank and the hole for the filter console.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.