Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail Shift Rod Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Putting the unit back up in the car. Have collected all the parts I have and can't remember the setup.

Is there a bushing that goes into this rear bracket piece? Currently the rod is loose in the bracket. Also is there something on the rear end between the rod and trans?

Hard to see from exploded parts diagrams. Any real pics around.

This pic is not my piece. Is there a bushing in there?

Click to view attachment

IronHillRestorations
It looks like there's an old bushing in there, but yes it's got a bushing.

The early cars have three like that, one at the tail end (in the bracket you've shown), one at the firewall, and one in the tunnel.

Often times the shaft of the shift rod gets worn to a smaller diameter and needs replacing or welding up. The ball end on the shift rod can get worn as well and cause slop in the shift pattern.
Mikey914
Yes takes 3. They should also be a nylon NOT a hard plastic.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 9 2020, 12:10 PM) *

Yes takes 3. They should also be a nylon NOT a hard plastic.

Mark, do you sell it for the tail shifter? I can't find it.
rhodyguy
Everything numbered #34 on P.90 in your Haynes. Inspect the bottom of the shift lever while you have the assem out for replacing the the bushing in the front support bracket (#33). Also inspect #13. Do EVERY bushing.
Mikey914
Yes we do
https://914rubber.com/search/?q=tail+shift

The SKU 914-424-224-00 is the one mentioned. We are making a better version of it now I had found some NOS ones that were much easier to install but they are a few weeks out.
7TPorsh
Does anyone have oics of the tail end linkage? There is a 90 degree bend in the rod and a ball that looks like it fits into the trans piece. Is that supposed to be tight? Is it metal to metal?
IronHillRestorations
It is metal to metal, and the closer tolerance the better, as long as there's no binding and everything moves smoothly
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.