Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 Restomod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Blown59
I dont believe Ive posted any pics of my car since joining. Ive been a long time lurker and reader only asking a couple of questions. I suppose its time we come out of hiding.

My 914 is not quite done, but I believe is presentable enough for show now. Here's a little of what I've done to her so far...

After 7 months worth or restoration and upgrades, it now has welded metal flares, pan stripped, some prior shoddy welds ground and rewelded, entire car epoxy primered, interior and underside/inner fenders shot with U-Pol Raptor liner. Body rec'd 2 coats of Nason high build primer, 3 coats Axalta Challenger base (Porsche Chalk/Crayon) and 4 coats of clear. 5 lug conversion (944 and 986 parts rear with 916 rotors) (911t front struts/hubs/rotors with M-Caliper upgrade). Steering rack was rebuilt, all bushings replaced, bearings, 930 tie rods/ends. All suspension components were stripped and repainted. All new rubber from 914 Rubber. The engine will be rebuilt to a 2270 stroker this winter as well as the seats being recovered from the same leather hides I used on the custom fiberglass console and dash. Still awaiting the arrival of flared rocker covers, fiberglass rear bumper and LE valance.

Also, I'm not happy with how the rear sits after installing the KYBs. I know they get a lot of flack, but I used a set of them on a 1986 Mk1 Mr2 autoX car with Eibach springs and loved the set up. I cant get these to settle for anything. The new Bilsteins should arrive today and my fiberglass body bits should be in next week.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Tdskip
Nice work!

Thanks for coming out of hiding and the update on the car.
Blown59
Click to view attachment

More pics to follow once the rear is lowered and the rockers, rear bumper and valance are done. Come spring ill further update with interior and 2270 photos.
gms
that looks awesome!
DucRS
This is looking amazing!
That color is spot on.
ValcoOscar
What a way to come out! Click to view attachment

Obviously, I'm a fan of Wide Body 914's.

So far, I like what I see beerchug.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Oscar

DRPHIL914
welcome.png

Love it! great color. clean, uncluttered, very nice!!

Phil
ndfrigi
That is beautiful! Congratulations!
Cairo94507
welcome.png Great coming out! I love everything (except the KYB's). You picked a terrific color and your car is looking great. Nice work. beerchug.gif
Coondog
Great color combo
twistedstang
Great color combo! Will be a killer ride when done.
flyer86d
Very nice!

Charlie
RiqueMar
Loving that color and combo, keep at it!
wes
You’re car looks great! I really like the color combination and can’t wait to see the finished product.
Blown59
Thanks everyone!

When I started this project, I knew what I wanted... I just wasnt sure what that was... Until I did. I dont know if that makes any sort of sense to you guys. My vision was there, it just wasnt completely clear in the beginning. The hardest part in this whole build was color selection. I knew what color I wanted, I just couldnt find it. I looked at GM colors, Ford, Audi/VW, Land Rover/Jaguar, Subaru, Chrystler/Jeep and then one day I saw a Chalk/Crayon 911 online and went to the Porsche dealer that week to look at their sprayout samples. In the showroom, it looked a little too grey and darker than I wanted. Took the sample outside and still wasn't sure. They didn't have any models in stock that color as to get the full effect. Went back about 2 weeks later and they had 3 911s and 2 Panameras. The color was PERFECT. It looked as close to the enhanced/edited Singer New York pictures online. I knew then I had my color and it was a Porsche factory color.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
very tasteful
PanelBilly
Looking very original. Without carpet or backpack you’re going to have a lot of noise.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Blown59 @ Sep 10 2020, 01:34 PM) *

Thanks everyone!

When I started this project, I knew what I wanted... I just wasnt sure what that was... Until I did. I dont know if that makes any sort of sense to you guys. My vision was there, it just wasnt completely clear in the beginning. The hardest part in this whole build was color selection. I knew what color I wanted, I just couldnt find it. I looked at GM colors, Ford, Audi/VW, Land Rover/Jaguar, Subaru, Chrystler/Jeep and then one day I saw a Chalk/Crayon 911 online and went to the Porsche dealer that week to look at their sprayout samples. In the showroom, it looked a little too grey and darker than I wanted. Took the sample outside and still wasn't sure. They didn't have any models in stock that color as to get the full effect. Went back about 2 weeks later and they had 3 911s and 2 Panameras. The color was PERFECT. It looked as close to the enhanced/edited Singer New York pictures online. I knew then I had my color and it was a Porsche factory color.

Great choice ! the complimentary colors are perfect too !
Blown59
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 10 2020, 03:45 PM) *

Looking very original. Without carpet or backpack you’re going to have a lot of noise.

The 914 isnt really a quiet car to begin with, to me, the difference is negligible. I still have the firewall sound/heat pad in the engine compartment. I saved the original backpad and interior firewall sound deadener should I ever want to reinstall them. As for now, the car is about enjoying both physically and aesthetically. I even deleted the antena, welded in the hole and removed the radio. Its all about the 914 experience.

Blown59
The new Bilsteins came in today and an hour later, I had this... No more looking like a rally car.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
If you look at the photos above you can see the color shade difference. It has a beigey undertone to it without being too bold. Porsche hit it out of the park with this color.
sbsix
Simply stunning. Love your choices especially changing out the silver dot needles on the gauges.
914-300Hemi
Looks amazing. Great job.
steuspeed
Great choice on color! Love those Singer combos. Needs a momo prototipo to match.
KELTY360
Nice to see a restomod keeping the type 4. The color combo is great and I really like the old school body color bumpers and sail panels.
Craigers17
That's a beautiful car! Well done sir. As I've stated before, I'm a big fan of the greys. alien.gif I also like that Raptor finish on the interior. On a different topic, do you also have a supercharged '59? Pics???
ibmiked
Amazing choices. Did you consider maybe an RSR finish on the wheels instead of all black? It would 'pop' even more...

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ibmiked @ Sep 11 2020, 07:40 AM) *

Amazing choices. Did you consider maybe an RSR finish on the wheels instead of all black? It would 'pop' even more...

Click to view attachment

agree.gif that looks superb! How far out are you on the engine build?
DRPHIL914
duplicate post deleted
ri914
looks really clean,did you do all that work yourself? I really like the color and how clean that car looks! Nice job.
Blown59
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 10 2020, 11:13 PM) *

Great choice on color! Love those Singer combos. Needs a momo prototipo to match.

I thought about it... I part of me wants to replace the factory wheel, part of me wants to keep it. The only downside is the Prototipo is its 350mm diameter if I recall correctly. The larger wheel is harder to find and have yet to see a larger diameter wheel come available. If/when it does, and for a reasonable price, Ill get it.

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 11 2020, 04:57 AM) *

That's a beautiful car! Well done sir. As I've stated before, I'm a big fan of the greys. alien.gif I also like that Raptor finish on the interior. On a different topic, do you also have a supercharged '59? Pics???

I do not have a supercharged '59... But I once had a '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited that was supercharged. There are or were pics of it on Cardomain if that site is still around.

QUOTE(ibmiked @ Sep 11 2020, 06:40 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Yes, I had thought about it and still am. I wasnt 100% certain I would like it. Part of me thought it would detract from the color and focal point of the body as they would blend too much. It easier (and more cost effective) to turn the black to RSR than to turn RSR to all black. I already have painted sail panels and top, bumpers are (rear will be) painted. I felt the black skirting, wheels, bumper tops, roof, mirrors, horn grilles and hood pin scuff plates in black would be subdued and offset the body. Throw in some orange calipers and graphics for the pop. The terracotta leather interior would be enough to accentuate it. I havent decided yet... but I thought about adding Rennline's track mats. Im sure Ill add or make a few subtle changes as things progress. Such as the mirrors, I love the bullet style look on the car... but they are awful to use. They have a wide range of adjustment, but size prohibits them from being effective where they are placed. So, I need to come up with a new solution. I dont like the factory mirrors or how they look. The style just doesnt work with the design element. Im thinking maybe the Durant, painted a satin black?? TBD...

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 11 2020, 06:57 AM) *

agree.gif that looks superb! How far out are you on the engine build?

Im collecting some parts now. I want to drive and enjoy the car and I can... I even drove it almost 300 miles home when I bought it. BUT... the valve covers leak and the pushrod tube seals leak directly on the exchangers and the car smokes horribly when stopped. Its kind of an embarrassment not to mention smelling like you have been locked in a 2 cycle closet when your done driving it. SO... now that I have the suspension adjusted, I can pull the engine and get started. While i was thinking of pulling it this weekend. I may just push it off a week or two yet to get in a few short drives. I hate seeing it sit and not being able to enjoy it. I didnt put 500 miles on it before I started tearing it apart. I want to take it to a European car show we have here in St Louis. Normally, the show is in May/June. This year it was postponed and now at the end of Oct. If the fiberglass parts arrive sooner than later, Ill get those pained and installed and can make the show. If I get there plenty early, no patron will know the car smokes smile.gif Though, the sooner I pull it, the sooner it wont smoke and will be more of a blast to drive. If the European car show resumes in early summer of 2021, itll be 100% and wont be an embarrassment to start.

QUOTE(ri914 @ Sep 11 2020, 08:17 AM) *

looks really clean,did you do all that work yourself? I really like the color and how clean that car looks! Nice job.

Thank you! Yes, I have done 100% of the work myself (sans the machine work on the axle shaft for the 944 CV) in the little one car garage you see it sitting in. Believe me, there was a lot of griping about space and a few choice words at times. I have an oversized 2 car garage and 4 tool boxes of tools at another house as well as my large air compressor, but its 45 mins from here and I have a tenant in that house now. I actually used a cheap LVLP sprayer and the little pancake compressor you see in the background of one of the pics to do the priming, painting and shooting the bed liner. Yes, it taxed the compressor, but I made it work. I had a makeshift "spray booth" set up in my driveway for a couple of days while I painted the hood, trunk, light covers, doors, etc.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Tarps were set up on all 4 sides. To protect the house and garage door. I had 24" box fans set up on one side with 24" furnace filters attached front and back to collect and move air out of my "booth"

I even ripped the old black material off the shift knob and used it as a pattern to cut and hand stitch the leather you see on the knob now. I do have someone who will be reupholstering the seats for me though. Thats one project I wont take on.

This forum has been a huge asset during this build process. I have acquired parts from some of the members and picked the brains of others (you guys know who you are and thank you!) As well as some help from Early 911s Registry and a few of its members.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.