Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring For The Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Engine and trans are up in the car. Fiddling to get all the peripherals attached. Mechanic who removed it all originally from the car is long gone and nothing was labeled. Sorry no pics at the moment.

There are 2 or 3 wires off the relay panel but not sure where they go. Is there a wiring diagram for dummies? Need the most simplistic setup to get the car started.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 10 2020, 12:56 PM) *

Engine and trans are up in the car. Fiddling to get all the peripherals attached. Mechanic who removed it all originally from the car is long gone and nothing was labeled. Sorry no pics at the moment.

There are 2 or 3 wires off the relay panel but not sure where they go. Is there a wiring diagram for dummies? Need the most simplistic setup to get the car started.

FI or carbs?

If FI, D-Jet or L-Jet?

Details please.....

Clay
Cairo94507
Pictures help too. beerchug.gif
7TPorsh
Dual weber carbs. 2366cc/901 trans. 1970 tail shifter.

Bare bones. I'll be seeing tonight and can get pictures but want to try to get a little knowledge before hand to get a jump.
IronHillRestorations
Wire color code / 12 pin terminal

Green/red to oil pressure switch - 1
Gray/brown to reverse switch on trans X2 - 2 & 4
Black/purple to #4 on coil (- side, same as ignition points) - 5
Yellow to starter solenoid - 6
Black/red to #15 on coil (+ side) - 7
7TPorsh
Here are the pieces to the puzzle. I labeled everything so if anyone can, please connect the dots. In addition to this starter has two open wire terminals (main + and - hooked up). Wires from distributor go to coil?

First pic is from relay board large pin plug.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
barefoot
This might help, wires from the relay board 12 pin connector.

Click to view attachment

Alternator wires:

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I already gave you the wires you'll need to get the engine going, the color codes I provided correspond with the wires in your pic. The black wire, I'm going to wager is actually black with a faint purple stripe going to pin #4

You need to confirm the wires to the location of the pins in the plug, just to be sure. Use an ohm meter, or carefully pry the cover off the plug.

With the part of the harness you've got (1970 FI ) there are wires you don't need that I would eliminate. The white wire was for the aux air reg, and always on when the ignition is on. Take the cover off work the wire out of the loom and pull it out. The solid green wire is for the heater blower, if you don't have one, you can pull that one too.

So to answer your question again, based on your pic of the engine harness, and assuming that the 12 pin connector hasn't been putzed with
#1 & 2 go to the reverse switch on the trans
#3 goes to the starter solenoid
#4 goes to the heater blower or not used
#5 not used
#6 goes to the oil pressure switch by the distributor
#7 goes to the - side of the coil (same terminal as wire to the distributor points)
#8 goes to + side of coil

Alternator connections:
Large red goes to the B+ (battery) lug on the starter

Red is D+
Green is DF
Black is D-
These three go to the voltage regulator via the board, as well as the alternator charge light. Looks like you need the plug socket and some connectors for your
IronHillRestorations
Some color wiring diagrams.

Wiring diagram part1

Wiring diagram part2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.