Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove front windshield chrome
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I am about to replace the windshield in my 914. Do I need a special tool to remove the chrome? And if so, can I see pics? Thanks
Jeroen
you can use a putty knife (wider = better)
just lift it out in small increments and go slow
thomasotten
So, do you pry from the glass side? Someone said you needed a hook type tool? confused24.gif
URY914
agree.gif

Just go slow and easy. And be careful around the corners.
Don't 'pry" it off. Pull up and lift it off.

Paul
John2kx
Here's a pic of installed clip and what you need to pull away from the chrome to remove it.
John2kx
This is a new clip. You may get a better idea of what type of tool to fabricate with these two pics. I believe there are 13 clips total.

Yes, you do this from the outside.

John
ChrisFoley
Do a search on this topic. A couple of tools have been pictured in previous threads, including one I sell on my website.
aircooledboy
Here ya go bud. All you need to know:Windshield trim tool thread

And remember, no making fun of the retarded kid. beerchug.gif w00t.gif
boxstr
And when you get to it, replace all 19 of the trim clips. They are available from the Porsche dealer.
CCLINWINDEX
thomasotten
Concerning the clips: Can they only be installed with the glass removed? The reason I am asking is because I want to paint the car some day, and will have to remove the trim again for that.
aircooledboy
Concerning the clips: Can they only be installed with the glass removed?

Properly? Yes. Glass needs to be out in order to push the holding pin into the body. Sometimes you can sneek one or two in with the glass in place, but don't expect to install an entire set with the glass in place.

I just re-read your question. It sounds like you are worried that you will destroy the clips removing the trim for a later paint job. A new set of clips should be "fresh" or pliable enough that you can remove the trim 5 years from now without breaking any of them. As long as they are not broken or pulled out from the body, they will still hold your trim on re-install. When they are 30 years old, they become brittle, and that is why it's good advice to replace them now.
thomasotten
Cool! Thanks! Old windshield extraction begins tonight!
olav
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Jul 13 2005, 08:34 AM)
[QUOTE]Chris DeRango
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase safety, deserve niether."
-Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755

I guess B. Franklin had spelling issues too...

I read the thread; that's cool.

huh.gif

Gary#
Don't forget to ask how to re-install the window trim. Don't ask me.
My window trim came off pretty easy. But my re-installed trim looks
like stromberg.gif
-------
Not to hi-jack here - but - does anybody make a windshield rubber trim that would eliminate the need for the chrome trim???
I'm thinkin' kind of like the Cal-Look rubber trim you see on bugs... biggrin.gif
Thanx,

Jakester
QUOTE ("7" @ Jul 13 2005, 09:53 AM)

Not to hi-jack here - but - does anybody make a windshield rubber trim that would eliminate the need for the chrome trim???
I'm thinkin' kind of like the Cal-Look rubber trim you see on bugs... biggrin.gif
Thanx,

hijacked.gif

There is info about this here.
Gary#
Awesome! beerchug.gif
Thanx,
------
Got any picz of an installed windshield with the rubber trim???
aircooledboy
QUOTE (olav @ Jul 13 2005, 12:51 PM)
I guess B. Franklin had spelling issues too...

I read the thread; that's cool.

huh.gif

I'll be damned laugh.gif

I cut & pasted that from a "famous quote" web site a long time ago. I never noticed the mistake. w00t.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.