Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: License plate lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
In the picture we are looking at the bottom of the rubber top for the rear bumper, where the license plate lights are supposed to mount.
Beacause I did not disassemble these from the old top, I do not know how they were installed. First off these holes in the rubber top do no line up with the holes on the lights, and, as you can see, on right side there is only one hole. I know these are the right lights because the electrical connectors on the wires match up with the lights.
Should I just center these and install the screws into the rubber?

Thanks,
John
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Looks to me as though you have a defective bumper top. If returning it isn't an option, then I'd drill some pilot holes using the lights you have for a template.

To the best of my memory, the lights screw into the metal bumper top core, so you need to go deep enough to get into the steel core (if it's got a stainless core, you'll need a really good bit), but take care not to drill through.

The lights mount with tapered self tapping type screws. A "pro tip" I learned many years ago on reinstalling self tapping screws is to put the screw in the hole and press in lightly while turning it backwards and you'll feel it click or drop into the threads.
jim_hoyland
What size screws do the new 914Rubber bumper tops accept; I’m getting ready to do this, didn’t see this coming smile.gif

@Mikey914
BeatNavy
I think this is a "known issue" with the first generation of 914 Rubber's bumper top. I had the same problem. I ended up drilling into the rubber.
Mikey914
They are limited by the size needed for the light assembly. You are mounting into the rubber so 5/8" length is ideal. #8 truss head should be suitable for this, just check the housing.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup easy to drill into the rubber and that is what we do nothing to it. Remember the important thing is to connect the wires properly. Brown is ground and has to be hooked to the terminal that is actually part of the light body
Morph914
Thanks for all the replies. I purchased both bumper tops over a year ago from 914 Rubber and just now putting them on.
I just wanted to make sure before drilling anywhere.
The new tops look great with the newly chromed bumpers from Oscars bumper run a year or so ago.

Cheers,
John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.