Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vinyl Wrapping a 914 with GT Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
Been planning on wrapping my 914 with printed vinyl for several months. Had a mockup of the design finished this past winter. Finally built the full-size graphics and began printing the vinyl today. I have experience wrapping flat surfaces such as walls and enclosed trailers so the doors and deck lids on the 914 should be a breeze.

However... the flares are going to be a challenge. I have decided to do a color layer first and then add the graphic elements separately (the doors and deck lids have base layer and graphics printed as one).

Any tips on how to best apply the wrap to the flares without ending up with a wrinkly mess would be greatly appreciated.

steve
driving.gif
mb911
Sorry no help but always interested on wrapping as Might be something I want to do on my car at some point
mepstein
Watch youtube's of "the wrap institute" and buy the best quality vinyl.

Or trade some artwork services to someone who's already good at it.
poorsche914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2020, 07:51 PM) *
Watch youtube's of "the wrap institute" and buy the best quality vinyl.

Or trade some artwork services to someone who's already good at it.

I'm using 3M Controltac IJ180V3 vinyl.
I've watched tons of YouTube videos but have found nothing showing similar curves as GT flares. Tension is going in all directions blink.gif
Guess I will need to practice a few times and try different techniques such as pre-stretching and heating before applying.
Not sure how that will work with such a large piece of vinyl, however. confused24.gif

Thanks!
driving.gif

mepstein
The video I watched said not to heat. You are building in tension that eventually wants to go back to the original relaxed state. I think doing some practice pieces is a good idea.
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2020, 05:27 PM) *

The video I watched said not to heat. You are building in tension that eventually wants to go back to the original relaxed state. I think doing some practice pieces is a good idea.

I remember looking at a UTube on wrapping technique. This guy was very good with a cold stretch tech

Bob B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU8f8pi06Hs

poorsche914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 10 2020, 11:20 PM) *
I remember looking at a UTube on wrapping technique. This guy was very good with a cold stretch tech

Bob B

Thanks for that, Bob. I've actually watched that video a couple times and several other videos by that guy. He is very good!

He has a video where he wraps a truck in gold chrome. The fenders have similar complex curves but, unfortunately, the video is a time lapse so can't really see the technique dry.gif

I'll end up doing a trial or two with plain vinyl to get a feel for how the vinyl lays before trying it with printed vinyl.

driving.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 10 2020, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 10 2020, 11:20 PM) *

Bob B

Thanks for that, Bob. I've actually watched that video a couple times and several other videos by that guy. He is very good!

He has a video where he wraps a truck in gold chrome. The fenders have similar complex curves but, unfortunately, the video is a time lapse so can't really see the technique dry.gif

I'll end up doing a trial or two with plain vinyl to get a feel for how the vinyl lays before trying it with printed vinyl.

driving.gif

Why not try contacting the guy that did the video and ask for specific advise to your application? Good luck with the project, looking forward to seeing the graphics.
poorsche914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 11 2020, 12:26 AM) *
Why not try contacting the guy that did the video and ask for specific advise to your application? Good luck with the project, looking forward to seeing the graphics.

That is actually worth a shot. Thanks beerchug.gif

driving.gif
ri914
the problem is going to be how many different ways the material stretch will be in force compared to its resting state.

I watched a 427 cobra get wrapped and the artist told me that the shorter the transition in a sharp curve the worse it can be. The rear gt flares will be quite hard to do especially if you are going to try and have no visible seams.

I am sure even a seasoned wrapper would pause or have a few throw aways on a 914 wb.

I would buy a bunch of test material (making sure its the same brand/version but maybe a cheaper color. draw straight lines on the material so you can see what the material needs to do in order to look good.

I spent a week applying wrap to my Lamborghini and that car is a lot easier due to the angles and panel breaks. we disassembled the car and wrapped each piece.

Another thing to remember is the gt flares are stamped/pressed i believe so think about the stretching that is going on to make one. in theory the wrap will follow that same distortion to some degree. I would imagine heat would need to be done in some areas.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Great info... thanks.

After watching a few more videos, I have a better idea of what procedures to use and am going to give it a try with a test piece. If that turns out horribly, then I will rethink the two panels that need the full coverage.

The wrap will be temporary and is an exercise in creativity. rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
PanelBilly
Before all this covid shit I was working on a tech session for this year’s Turnout that would allow a hands on wrap class. 3M has a tech advisor in our area who could be the instructor and at least give everyone a chance to see if they had the desire to peruse wrapping their own car. When this is all over I’m putting it back on my list
mepstein
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 11 2020, 10:40 AM) *

Great info... thanks.

After watching a few more videos, I have a better idea of what procedures to use and am going to give it a try with a test piece. If that turns out horribly, then I will rethink the two panels that need the full coverage.

driving.gif

Not going to make the first time you try wrapping a car easy on yourself. Huh. biggrin.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 11 2020, 11:21 AM) *
Not going to make the first time you try wrapping a car easy on yourself. Huh. biggrin.gif

Well... gotta start somewhere happy11.gif

driving.gif
ValcoOscar
A novice wrapped this a few years back...no wrinkles or seams.

Oscar

Click to view attachment
ri914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 11 2020, 11:42 AM) *

Oscar

That is impressive Oscar.
poorsche914

Oscar

Thanks for that, Oscar. Shows it can be done, at least.
Are the graphics printed or added to the base color vinyl?

steve
driving.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 11 2020, 09:18 AM) *

Oscar

Thanks for that, Oscar. Shows it can be done, at least.
Are the graphics printed or added to the base color vinyl?

steve
driving.gif

I added graphics later. Surely you can do this.

popcorn[1].gif
Oscar
Chris914n6
You would be better off doing the graphics as separate pieces. The solid colors stretch quite well, the printable stuff less so. Plus the distortion will be high. The trunk lids will be fine.
Craigers17
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 11 2020, 09:42 AM) *

Oscar

Click to view attachment

@ValcoOscar That looks awesome! Great color. I wonder if you could tell us what finish the wrap was applied over? In other words, was it a nice, glossy paint, or were parts fiberglass, or was it finished in sealed primer? Just curious as to what types of finish these wraps will adhere to?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 11 2020, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 11 2020, 09:42 AM) *

Oscar

Click to view attachment

@ValcoOscar That looks awesome! Great color. I wonder if you could tell us what finish the wrap was applied over? In other words, was it a nice, glossy paint, or were parts fiberglass, or was it finished in sealed primer? Just curious as to what types of finish these wraps will adhere to?

In my case, gray primer w metal flares. I hope to actually paint this car in the next several years.
For now, suits its purpose.

Oscar
poorsche914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 11 2020, 01:29 PM) *
You would be better off doing the graphics as separate pieces. The solid colors stretch quite well, the printable stuff less so. Plus the distortion will be high. The trunk lids will be fine.

That is the direction I am going on the flared panels. Only issue I may have is the fact that I am printing the base color and not using a colored vinyl. Not sure if that will affect the stretch and fit of the vinyl. confused24.gif

driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 11 2020, 02:04 PM) *
@ValcoOscarThat looks awesome! Great color. I wonder if you could tell us what finish the wrap was applied over? In other words, was it a nice, glossy paint, or were parts fiberglass, or was it finished in sealed primer? Just curious as to what types of finish these wraps will adhere to?
In my case, gray primer w metal flares. I hope to actually paint this car in the next several years.

Oscar

I will be wrapping old paint with plenty of blemishes. Like Oscar, this is a temporary wrap until I can have the car properly painted.

driving.gif
mbseto
Can't believe you would dismantle all those historic cars just for a creative exercise.
poorsche914
QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 11 2020, 02:59 PM) *
Can't believe you would dismantle all those historic cars just for a creative exercise.

biggrin.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 11 2020, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 11 2020, 02:04 PM) *
@ValcoOscarThat looks awesome! Great color. I wonder if you could tell us what finish the wrap was applied over? In other words, was it a nice, glossy paint, or were parts fiberglass, or was it finished in sealed primer? Just curious as to what types of finish these wraps will adhere to?

Oscar

I will be wrapping old paint with plenty of blemishes. Like Oscar, this is a temporary wrap until I can have the car properly painted.

driving.gif

In that case I'd buy a pint of single stage and just paint it, then put the 'decals' on top. I was doing mostly cabs and shuttles, pretty mild curves, and nobody really looked at that close, but there were stretch marks cuz it's just ink sprayed on, and then there is a clear film on top to protect the ink.
Johny Blackstain
biggrin.gif
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 11 2020, 07:40 AM) *

Great info... thanks.

Click to view attachment

driving.gif

Wow, very cool. I’m with Oscar though, I think you’ll be disappointed with the distortion of the printed graphics. I’d wrap each panel with base color (non printed), then add graphic stickers....

Working with vinyl is tricky in itself for the novice... I’m using exterior vinyl Oracal 651 on my race car For meatballs and other one color stickers. I have several bubbles on the trial pieces....
poorsche914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 12 2020, 09:13 AM) *

What are you saying here, Al? poke.gif happy11.gif

driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 12 2020, 12:03 PM) *
Wow, very cool. I’m with Oscar though, I think you’ll be disappointed with the distortion of the printed graphics. I’d wrap each panel with base color (non printed), then add graphic stickers....

Thanks. Yeah for the fenders definitely will use layers.

Working with vinyl is tricky in itself for the novice... I’m using exterior vinyl Oracal 651 on my race car For meatballs and other one color stickers. I have several bubbles on the trial pieces....

The vinyl I am using has air release which helps SO much. I have used the non-release type vinyl and it can be IS a pain when working with large panels!

driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 12 2020, 03:05 PM) *

What are you saying here, Al? poke.gif happy11.gif

driving.gif

exactly idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 11 2020, 07:40 AM) *

IPB Image

Outsch, that's some creative butchering of my native language.

Please make sure you spell this correctly on the final product:

O.N.S. Rennstrecken Sicherung

rolleyes.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 12 2020, 06:43 PM) *
...Outsch, that's some creative butchering of my native language.

Please make sure you spell this correctly on the final product:

O.N.S. Rennstrecken Sicherung

rolleyes.gif

Thanks, Andy. Already noted and corrected. Ich spreche ein bisschen deutsch smile.gif

The graphic for the mock up came from an image of a model car. Not sure if it was misspelled on purpose or confused24.gif

driving.gif
poorsche914
Got the front and rear deck lids done this morning.
A few blemishes but looks good in pictures rolleyes.gif
I have the doors printed already so will try to wrap those later today.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
Garland
Looks great!
Mark Henry
I want to do the flip side of this on one of my teens, plaster the car in race stickers and then wrap it, makes it bleed through like a cheap paint job over an old race car. I saw a car done this way, it's cool but subtle at the same time.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 15 2020, 06:17 AM) *
I want to do the flip side of this on one of my teens, plaster the car in race stickers and then wrap it, makes it bleed through like a cheap paint job over an old race car. I saw a car done this way, it's cool but subtle at the same time.

That would be very cool! aktion035.gif

driving.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 15 2020, 06:17 AM) *

My two favorite cars at Hershey last year were these two new high end builds made to look like retired race cars.
poorsche914
Wrapped the doors today.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Also wrapped the front driver fender in white just to see how it would turn out. Actually, not too bad. Now I have a nice base for the decals. Will probably wrap the rear passenger in white as well before applying decals.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.