Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix SVDA Flamethrower Distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
After dropping my engine and doing a very complete engine/trans reseal, plus a new clutch, I thought I'd give my car ('74 2.0 Dual Carbs) a reward of a new distributor. I have been running a capable, but far less than optimal, 009 mechanical advance dizzy and had tried a myriad of vacuum types without success, as I was generally using old and worn out 1.8L distributors. So, when a fellow member was offering a like new Pertronix SVDA Flamethrower vacuum unit at a good price (thank you NDITIZ1) I grabbed it. The plate movement was a bit sticky on inspection, but a little lube loosened everything up. After installation, I must say I now understand the beauty and drivability of vacuum advance. I have the vacuum hooked up to just one of my Dellorto DRLA-40 carbs, along with an anti-pulse valve in the line. I tried using both carbs with a T-arrangement but it seemed to run better off a single vacuum source. It seemed to be getting some weird crosstalk like that. I am timed at about 31 degrees at 3500 RPM with vacuum plugged and the idle timing comes in around 10 degrees, which the car likes very much. The SVDA has truly improved off the line starts, eliminating that dreaded bog down, especially when the engine is cold. It is a much smoother driving experience now. Anyone with carbs should consider running a Flamethrower.

Ansbacher
IronHillRestorations
Just make sure you've got a spare Ignitor for it in your toolbox. You can bail out to points in an emergency.

EDIT:

Don't get me wrong. I put a brand new one in a customer car and it ran flawlessly, but only 250 (or so) miles and Ignitor went dead. I love the idea of the SVDA and eliminating the points
Tdskip
@Ansbacher - first off all it is very nice of you to take the time to post this follow-up. Right on.

I am glad you are happy with the result, I know this was a journey.
nditiz1
I'm glad it is running so well for you. They really are only 2nd to the 123ignition.
Tdskip
I saw like four variations of this, which specific model is it?
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 11 2020, 09:09 PM) *

I saw like four variations of this, which specific model is it?

I don't really know. It just says "Flamethrower" on the dizzy body. Perhaps NDITIZ1 can chime in, as I got it from him. As far as a backup, I now carry as a spare my old 009 with Pertronix installed.

Ansbacher
nditiz1
D186504

I ordered it from Summit

Summit SVDA
Tdskip
Thanks!
Tdskip
Ordered a couple, will let you know how it goes.
Tonyooc
I've never had any issues with petronix, I've ran them on numerous cars.
Tdskip
I haven’t either, expect these will be fine too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.